Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • sti's and road bb7
  • porter_jamie

is there supposed to be some kind of cable adjuster? i just got a bike with them fitted and there does not appear to be a way of adjusting up the cable. could i fit an inline thingymabob instead?

thomthumb
    Free Member

mine came with inline cable adjusters.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

When i bought my BB7’s they came with the inline adjusters in the box, Its worth fitting them as when the cable starts to stretch they are a god send.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

So long as the cable is taught when the brakes aren’t applied, any pad wear should be taken up with the adjusters on the caliper

MrTall
    Free Member

Mine have the inline adjusters as well.

13thfloormonk

Yeah, I’d always read that you shouldn’t adjust BB7s with a barrel adjuster? It screws up the leverage and you get less power or worse lever feel or both, I forget.

Basically the cable arm should always start its rotation at the same position, regardless of the wear in the pads.

scotroutes

Retail BB7s should come with inline adjusters. If yours don’t have them, buy some.

pdw
    Free Member

Mine came with inline adjusters. You’re not supposed to adjust for pad wear with the cable adjusters, but you can use them to adjust the cable in the first place.

I wouldn’t bother with them personally: cables only stretch once, and the more joins in the cable, the more squidgy they’ll be. Set the cable so the arm is just fractionally off the stop, check it after a few rides, and call it done. I’ve removed my rear one, and I’ll remove the front one next time I swap that cable.

epicyclo

13thfloormonk – Member
    …the cable arm should always start its rotation at the same position, regardless of the wear in the pads.

+1

With BB7s the adjusters are to remove any slack from the cable. If the lever arm moves you’ve adjusted too much.

It’s basically set and forget once the slack is removed, and from that point on use the adjustment knobs on the calliper.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘sti's and road bb7’ is closed to new replies.