Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Stiperstones routes – legitimacy of riding
  • swoosh
    Free Member

I’m looking at putting together a route that takes in the Long Mynd trails and the Stiperstones. I’ve ridden at Long Mynd several times so know those trails relatively well but I’ve never ridden over at Stiperstones before.

The Shropshire Way trail along the ridge that runs from Cranberry Rock, past Manstone Rock and Devils Chair to Shepherds Rock – is that 1) a legitimate riding route? and 2) rideable?

Looking at OS maps online it looks like the trail changes from a Bridleway to a footpath at this point: http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=337137&Y=299584&A=Y&Z=115 Is that correct? What do the walkers say if you are to ride along the more southerly section? Should I just stick to the lower BW that goes past Gatten Plantation?

Any help would be appreciated. I’ve been caught out by landowners in the past when riding on footpaths and am trying to stay away from them now for that reason.

GolfChick
    Free Member

https://www.strava.com/activities/1143373587

Only one person moaned at me just after the stones, other than that everyone was fab…… it was ridiuclously hot and all I had was a 500ml bottle of water…. perhaps go better prepared than I was.

Speshpaul

the route across the top isn’t that nice, good if you like trials riding or pushing. Generally speaking the walkers on the Stipers are not the professional whiners you find in the more popular areas.

PM me I may be able to suggest a alternative.

mrhoppy

As speshpaul says it’s not that great. I’d recommend the BW and tracks that run to the west including black ditch as a preferable entirely legit route, or there are other less legit options.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Yeh the Stiperstones range is rubbish, best avoid.

bedmaker

Just ride wherever you want.

If challenged, put on your best groundskeeper Wullie accent and say ‘och I didnae ken ye couldna ride here, I’m jist visitin frae across the border!’

mrhoppy

I have no qualms about riding on footpaths I still prefer the black ditches route.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Well the Batch Burner goes across them and I’ve ridden there in the past so I don’t see an issue myself

swoosh
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips guys. Will check a few options out.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Stiperstones routes – legitimacy of riding’ is closed to new replies.