Stinky Clothes

Home Forum Bike Forum Stinky Clothes

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Stinky Clothes
  • andrewmoke

Marriage is at risk.

Monday morning commute clothes are all nice and pleasant, but as week progresses and pints of sweat get absorbed they start to smell. I often have to hang them on the radiator and Mrs. Moke heavily complains about to pungent smell all over the kitchen. It is bad I suppose.

I am sure others will face the same problem – what is the solution here? I do not really care about longevity of the clothes (in relation to the longevity of the marriage anyway) so happy to tumble dry them – we do not have a tumble drier and no appetite to have a big one either.

Ideas please?

poly

2 sets of clothes, and alternate / wash them properly?

oldboy

Wash them regularly and wear merino wool base layers.

allthepies

Errr, use more than one set of clothing per week.

12fifty

You don’t wash your commuting clothes all week?

I think that’s the problem! ^^What poly said.

I would also highly recommend some sports (I’m not running downstairs and out to the kitchen to find out exactly what it was called) wash I picked up in Sainsbury’s I use it instead of washing powder and it even keeps my HH Lifa stink free.

andrewmoke

not organized enough…and they are smelly from Monday am journey onwards…

Buy some more and rotate them? It won’t cost more in the long term because they’ll last longer, especially if you have enough to avoid having to tumble dry them.

wear merino wool base layers

^^ This.

jobless

Halo from wiggle. couple of washes and its all like new. BUT also wear merino base layers (in all weather) and change the clothes every day.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

Minger!

Buy two sets of clothing and wash/dry one while you’re wearing the other. No need for merino or anything fancy as long as it (and you) are clean.

12fifty

shudder the thought of merino makes my skin creep

jimc101

Halo is great, but have found it a lot cheaper at Sainsburys than Wiggle

crikey

Buy your wife an extremely expensive Xmas pressie; she is the most tolerant woman you will meet, ever.

Jesus, I’d be in a lasagne, now.

Premier Icon thetallpaul
    Subscriber

+1 for Halo. All riding gear is now non smelly in our house even after a couple of days wear.
    Takes a couple of washes to fully de-stink clothes initially

You really do need more clothes though. Can’t imagine wearing the same commuting clothes for a week. Ewww!

Pick up some of the base-layers (compression) from Aldi. Work for me, and cheap. I used to use merino, but find these work ok for the 1/2 hour ride each way.
    Merino is for the weekend rides in the wilds.

Premier Icon pictonroad
    Subscriber

Is this thread really asking how to stop clothes smelling if you wear them repeatedly for exercise, then leave them somewhere warm to fester when not being worn?

THIS is why we’re miserable. Face. Meet palm.

hora

Sorry OP wheres your respect for your partner?

Flip it round. Your wifes feet STINKS and she laughs it off. How would you feel?

Harsh I know but be organised asap if you love her.

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

If you washed your body as infrequently as your commuting exercise kit you would stink too ! It’s not rocket science 🙂

Premier Icon garlando
    Subscriber

Halo is great. Finally got round to trying it and can’t believe I left it so long. (No, I don’t work for them)

brakes

my kit gets washed every couple of weeks.
    the kid’s stuff gets prioritised in the washing queue.
    merino base layers which refuse to smell are awesome.
    synthetic base layers start to smell as soon as you put them on!

You need to change your user name to Andrewboak..regional joke there. Your welcome.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

1) Stop being a manky tramp
    2) Problem solved
    3) Wife will find something else to complain about

Premier Icon terrahawk
    Subscriber

Sorry OP wheres your respect for your partner?

jesus christ man, he’s making a stench in the kitchen, not sleeping with his sister in law!

edward2000

Actually the problem here can partly be blamed on the state of your washing machine. Check inside the rubber seal behind the door, it’s probably full of black gunk, bacteria. The solution is simple. Clean the gunk out and Do an empty boil wash with a cup of vinegar to clean the machine.

I found that my towels used to smell once I had used the a few times, not any more! And no, your clothes won’t smell of vinegar.

poly

not sleeping with his sister in law!

No wonder she thinks he smells too!

AndrewJ

One set of cycling clothes lasts me all week 🙂 I am pretty lucky with my works facilities though. I have a place to hang my damp clothes so they air and dry and I shower as soon as I get into work. As soon as I’m home the clothes go on the radiator and they never seem to smell! Or maybe Mrs J is just very tolerant 😉

Premier Icon woody2000
    Subscriber

I use dettol laundry cleanser on my bike clothes, keeps them nice and fresh. That does require you to wash them though OP! Surely buying a couple of tops and another pair of shorts isn’t too much though? I change tops every day and make shorts/bibs do 2, unless it’s really hot or raining

Premier Icon gonetothehills
    Subscriber

What edward2000 says – just make sure it’s white / distilled vinegar, not yer pickling stuff – or you’ll end up smelling like the chippy. Which actually sounds preferable to where you’re currently at… If / when you do wash your kit, stick some white vinegar in too. Works a treat, and even on poly base layers. I’ve got rid of merino for riding in – Helly base layer and a soft shell / buffalo for me until spring now. Our house is always like a laundry, but a couple of sets of fresh-smelling bibs, base layers and jerseys is a small but worthwhile investment.

Premier Icon booktownman
    Subscriber

Soak your kit in VWP steriliser – I use it for cleaning homebrew kit. Six quid for a big tub, a teaspoon per litre is all you need. It’s good stuff to bung in the dishwasher now and then, too.

12fifty

Ah it was Halo I got at Sainsbury’s I think it even had money off last time I looked

andrewmoke

So sounds like my tumble drier solution (which I note was purely to dry the sweat not to wash the clothes and dry them quicker, cause that will be hygienic or whatever) is not the way to go?

Merino, home made stuff and basic hygiene principles seems to be what you guys are getting at. A bit disappointing, but yes I see the point…

Funny enough, the sister in law does think that I stink a bit as well.

Dibbs

Another vote for Halo here, and I don’t even wear the same kit for the commute home, I take a second set of kit for that, and then wash and dry both sets when I get home (I don’t let the wife wash it, or half of it would go missing).

Premier Icon cinnamon_girl
    Subscriber

DISGUSTING. 😯

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

Guess u depends on a lot of variables such as how much you sweat and how long your commute it.

When I used to commute by bike, I could alternate tops and make two last all week but would never do more than a day in a pair of shorts.

I learned the following.
    Halo is fantastic stuff.
    Force drying kit seems to make matters worse.
    Drinking more water made my sweat noticeably less pungent.

Edric 64

Try washing your cycling kit after every ride you dirty git !!!An hour on the bike is enough to get it minging mine goes in the wash after every ride as does my running kit .All that bacteria round the gonnads is no good !!

globalti

You are showering daily, aren’t you? Your skin has its own natural bacteria and these will attack your sweat and cause body odour. As somobody else wrote above, modern low-temperature washes are bad at killing bacteria so it will take a couple of washes to get the kit smelling fresh again.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Troll shirley?

– “I don’t wash, and I smell, how do I stop smelling?”
    – “Wash”
    – “Oh no, I’m too disorganised for that”.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

my tumble drier solution (which I note was purely to dry the sweat not to wash the clothes and dry them quicker,

*barfs*

for the price of a tumble drier you could buy 4 sets of riding clothes and wash and dry them in rotation so you always have clean kit.

if you worked for me I wouldn’t let you in the building wearing clothes that had done 4 days of commuting without being washed.

Premier Icon SimonR
    Subscriber

What I’m getting from this thread is that I’m being a bit too hygenic here …. looks like I can cut back on washing stuff and still not be a gross as the OP 😀

Had a friend who tried the sweaty-shorts-in-the-tumble-dryer trick in a holiday cottage – stunk the whole place out for several days after!

Premier Icon scandal42
    Subscriber

Fabreeze 😀

Premier Icon scaled
    Subscriber

Damn, i’m a bit of a minger but I end up doing a load of washing every night and my commute kit is always in there (along with the nippers school uniform from the day) and it’s generally dry from being on the radiator for a couple of hours that evening.

I’m genuinely perplexed that you’d do anything else?!

I should point out that both my daughter and I do have other clothes to wear, the fact that the stuff is dry by the morning is just a coincidence.

Don’t you get horrible ‘saddle sores’ from the sweaty shorts?

Premier Icon Mad Pierre
    Subscriber

I can’t imagine wearing any of my cycling kit for more than one ride. It gets washed every time.

It’s not rocket science: buy more clothes and do more washing!

stealthcat

Halo sports wash is currently 2.99 in our local Sainsburys. It’s not a perfect solution if your kit is as bad as you suggest, but it will improve matters.

Buy 2 new sets of kit (preferably merino), bin the current lot, and wash it more often.

Does anyone here use Halo regularly on merino kit? The instructions do say it shouldn’t be used on silk or wool…

hora

I sometimes leave my kit for a few rides. Partly as it shits up my washing machine but also all my kit lives in the boot.

I dont smell though. I could wear a top a few times, socks etc- I’ve proven this a few times by ramming a shoe into the sis in laws nose and daring her to whiff! I think I have the ‘sweet gene’ though. (Yes it exists but its mainly a far east thing).

Premier Icon andybrad
    Subscriber

on a similar note i often find my riding shoes stink even after ive washed them. They seem to smell of stale water (i end up doing a lot of walking through mud) and i wash them in a bucket after each ride. Any ideas on keeping them fresh-er?

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Stinky Clothes’ is closed to new replies.