Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Stiniog uplift day – just how good?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Postponed trip 2 months ago now this Sat – really excited as not really a DHer so different from typical riding…heard loads of good stuff on here – those who have done it, remind me again how good it is to fuel the fire! 😀

Vinte
    Free Member

I’ve never been before but I’m also going on Saturday. Look out for me, I’ll be the one mincing on the Specialized Pitch!

rascal
    Free Member

Hoorah! I’ll be on a black Meta with 3 other wannabe DHers…I’ll look out for you. You staying in Blaenau that night?

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Ask me tomorrow night, I’m off there tomorrow. It’s my first visit, but I know a lot of people who’ve been. Everyone loves it, but seem to love it a bit less if the weather isn’t good, but thats not an issue for any of us 😉

rascal
    Free Member

Meant to be good this weekend – hope the predictions are right 🙂

Vinte
    Free Member

No, I’m just making day trip. Looks like we picked a good weekend for it.

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s excellent.
    My advice would be don’t be scared to try all/most of the trails. The blue is excellent, but the red and black are perfectly doable for a mortal on a trail bike. I’ve not done the double black. Broke my rear mech before I got a chance 🙁

Northwind

Bloody brilliant in fact. Really hoping to get back there later in the year.

goodgrief
    Free Member

make sure you’ve got dual plies fitted, it’s proper rough and shreds tyres. was there for two days last month and really enjoyed it although it properly took me by surprise how tough the tracks are.
    we did some filming and came up with this edit
    http://www.pinkbike.com/video/320078/

jonnyb1972
    Free Member

Awesome, but I managed to puncture a tubeless tyre in three places in one run, be prepared and enjoy 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Need to get back there – had a brief go on my stag do (in a dress) and it was ace. Anyone want to organise a STW day out there?

samcamsdad

Slight hijack here, but what bikes are people riding here?
    Planing a trip next month, and wondering if I should take my orange blood, or my full on Dh bike?

Bagstard
    Free Member

I really like the place, I’ve been on my alpine 160 and patriot, but given the option of a full on DH bike I would take that. You get loads of runs in a day and it is pretty rough in places. There are some pretty big jumps on the Black and the extra strength of a DH bike gives a bit more margin for error.

There are sections on Black powder that are both very rocky and fast, pretty sure I cracked my swingarm there.

goby

Ah i took my orange blood was fine up there, do run a coil shock on the rear though. If i had a dh bike though i would take it as you could really let rip then esecally when the arms get tired by the end of the day! The tracks are great fun, loved black powder run! Cant wait to get back! 😀

Northwind

I didn’t bother with dualplies, just sensibly tough trailbike tyres run tubeless, with sensible pressures… But yeah, if you have them, no reason not to. My DH bike was in bits so just used the Hemlock, rode everything bar the wall (didn’t really do the big jumps though, after watching Danny Hart come up short I thought they’re probably not for me 😉 )

johnikgriff
    Free Member

It was excellent by the way, just in case you check back 😉

rascal
    Free Member

Just got back from a brill weekend in N Wales.
    Stiniog uplift day is absolutely brilliant by the way.
    Did it for first time yesterday – if you haven’t already done I would strongly recommend it.
    I’m no downhiller and was slightly nervous on the minibus on the first uplift, and TBH was quite surprised how even the ‘easy’ blue was harder than I expected. After a few runs you get into it and by the end of the day I was getting down at a fair pace with a huge grin.
    Youtube doesn’t do the place justice as looking at the runs on a screen just tends to flatten everything out. The big drop on the Black is a ‘no way – not ever EVER’ would I do it! The guys running it are all spot on and good cheap food at the brand new cafe. Bit disappointing to see some dickhead p*ssing in the sink in the toilets because he couldn’t be arsed to wait for a cubicle though.
    Aching from the pummeling your body tales but will deffo be going back at some point in the near future 😆

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Remember the DH ffest is on next weekend –
    Link – https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/90450/Antur-Stiniog-DH-Fest#summary

Race Schedule :

Friday

3pm – venue open for foot inspection only, no transport to the top is permitted, 5pm commissaire course walk, 6-8pm race registration open.

Saturday

7am- course open for foot inspection only, no transport to the top is permeitted.

8am-11am – race registration

9am – uplift starts, course live at 9.15am / last uplift leaves at 5pm – course closed at 6pm

6.05pm – riders meeting

6.30pm – course open for foot inspection only, no transport to the top is permitted.

7pm – jump track challenge / music / film / tbc

Sunday

8.30am – uplift starts

8.45am – course live

11am – practice finishes.

First uplift for racing leaves 11.30am, course closed 11.30am

First of two timed runs start at 12pm.

Podiums at 5.30pm.

The event will be pre entry only through the BC website, race entry will be £50 plus a £0.60 booking fee.

There will be no charge for camping, or car parking on site

Race numbers will be available at sign on.

There will be no charge for number boards.

Race catagories, and running order will be Juvenille / Youth / Junior / Masters / Veterans / women / senior / expert / elite women / elite male.

Juvenille – riders must be in the year of their 13/14th birthday

Youth – in the year of their 15/16th birthday

Senior – in the year of their 19th birthday

Masters – for riders aged 30-39

Veteran – for riders aged 40 and above

Prize money will paid to the top 3 riders in all catagories, £50 first / £25 second / £10 third, Elite male will be £250 first / £100 second / £50 third, and all podium places will receive localy produced slate trophys.

Please note that all juvenile and youth riders have to wear spine/ elbow/knee armour.

Race rules will be under BC regulations

rascal
    Free Member

Nice hijack 😉

Vinte
    Free Member

Excellent day at Stiniog on Saturday. After the first few runs I really got into it. Managed to get down the black at a reasonable speed by the end of the day (Didn’t do the big drop). Need to work on my jumping skills! I think I’ll get a full face helmet for my next visit.

scruff
    Free Member

Anyone done that funny drop off the little hill thing towards the bottom, goes off to the Right, looks like you need to hop off a bit early to not land to flat?

MadPierre

We were there Saturday too! Got photos and videos to sort later…

MadPierre

scruff – Member

Anyone done that funny drop off the little hill thing towards the bottom, goes off to the Right, looks like you need to hop off a bit early to not land to flat? [/quote]

You mean this scruff?

That’s my mate Rob doing it a while back. Not me!

scruff
    Free Member

Thats the one. Doesnt look to0 difficult, just a bit awkward. Didnt see anyone do it on our visit but most of the trails were covered in ice.

MadPierre
    timmys

Slight thread resurrection.

Off to Wales next week for the annual family holiday. Hoping to fit in a day at Antur Stiniog. Is there a cafe/food there? Can’t see any mention on their website though a “V.C.” is mentioned in the uplift details which I guess is visitors centre?

nickjb
    Free Member

There is a visitor centre with toilets and cafe. It was shut for a wedding when we went but it is generally open

rascal
    Free Member

It’s a new slate building with a few basic spares for sale, showers & toilets, a counter where you sign to say if you die it’s not their fault and a very-reasonably-priced cafe – right next to the car park.
    I you can fit it in, do it – pretty sure you can’t just turn up on the day though – you’ll need to pre-book.

timmys

Cool, sounds good. Don’t worry I will book, there seem to be plenty of places left for Thur/Fri, going to wait and see on the weather and which day I am allowed off from family duties!

steel4real
    Free Member

Stiniog – it’s for everyone !

timmys

Stiniog – it’s for everyone !

I thought that was going to be a link to this!;

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/that-video-of-the-lad-that-kept-falling-over-at-antur-stiniog

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Stiniog uplift day – just how good?’ is closed to new replies.