Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Stills camera – Fast AF, small, light, changeable lenses
  • willard

Goddag.

It’s about damned time I got a new stills camera to replace the D1h and the old, dog-eaten Fuji compact.

Requirements are:

Small and light
    Ability to change lenses
    Fast autofocus
    Remote shutter port

There are many cameras on the market that have huge sensors and take interchangeable lenses, but a new SLR is not what I want/can have because of the elephant in the room… Skydiving.

Yes, I know, but the main use for the camera is going to be taking stills in the air and a heavy camera gets even heavier when under deceleration from freefall, so I would prefer a lighter system. Sony’s a6xxx seem to be good for this, but what else is out there that fits these requirements? I’m really out of touch with cameras these days.

robola

I don’t think you can go far wrong with a Sony a6xxx. It came down to a choice between that and a Fuji x mount when I was looking. I went Fuji but for your use I would have gone Sony for the superior autofocus.

willard

I used to have a Fuji mirrorless at my old work for filming short promo videos. Lovely camera and great quality stills and video, but heavy as hell with the lens that it had with it.

Sony does appear to be winning right now… Maybe I can find a “cheap” a6300 or something.

roverpig

Fuji XT30 ? I know slow AF was an issue on the earlier models, but I thought the newer ones were on a par with Sony. Could be wrong though as I’m still happy with my XT10. Stick on the XF 27mm pancake lens and it is very small and light.

flannol
    Free Member

Agree, the Sony series is blazing fast AF

but do your own research and watch some YouTube reviews on each camera you’re interested in

try mpb.com for buying second hand

rossburton
    Free Member

I’m a Fuji fan, but the Panasonic micro-4/3rds cameras are pretty good too. We’ve got a GX7 from MPB and it’s surprisingly capable actually.

willard

Have just seen an alpha 6100 with the kit small/zoom lens for decent money for sale. The internet suggests this is like the 6300, but with better/newer AF capability and a better menu system. With a 400g body and a relatively light lens, this should fit the bill.

The only trouble is that it is at the other end of the country in Skåne, but the guy is happy to post it. Currently second in line for it.

Fingers crossed.

stcolin
    Free Member

I was looking at getting a nice small compact for taking out and about. My 80D and the smallest lens I have is just too big for putting in my back pack when riding. I’d be looking at Sony, or personally Canon as I’m familiar with the controls layout.

Supply is tight though, trying to find stock can be tricky.

minus
    Free Member

I have an x-t30 and the af is disappointing. I expected a big jump coming from an old d40, but it’s not much better.

I mainly take photos of cycling and in af-c it loves to jump off the subject onto the background even with a small zone selected (will find the one point in the box that sneaks under an armpit etc.)

When looking for alternatives the canon m mount options might be promising for you. A lot of the lenses are very small (if slow). The af somewhere between fuji and Sony.

willard

Just taken a punt on a good condition Sony a6100. It should hopefully be with me in time to use it next weekend, assuming I can trust the seller and the postal service…

The small kit lens should be good for what I need given that it is always sunny above the clouds. Let’s hope it works.

ericemel
    Free Member

I use an alpha 7c – full frame with the Zeiss 35mm making a very small fx camera (same as size as a6xxx) amazing camera for the size, game changer moving from Nikon DX DSLR.

smiffy

I can vouch for the AF on A6500 being very good, but noticeably better with newer lenses, both are improving all the time. With 70-350 it’ll grab birds in the air like I’ve not seen before with stuff I can afford. I can’t speak for any other brand as I haven’t used them, but I know Fuji enthusiasts. Will the changing G of sky-diving affect the mechanical side of AF?

willard

That is something I have not really thought about… I won’t be using the camera when I pitch and start slowing down, so it may not be a problem there and my GoPro seems fine, but there might be some issues with impact sensitivity if I mess up the exit badly enough.

Lenses are going to be the game changer. I should be good with the kit for the moment, but I know a lot of people use a dedicated 15mm or similar on their stills, so that may come in time too. Being close also helps.

I will need to put tape over the holes a the top of the lens though. Apparently this can impact the ability of the shutter to function in 200kph wind.

dannybgoode

Budget? OK not interchangeable lenses but the Sony RX10mk4 is an absolute beast of a bridge camera and as good as any APS-C dSLR I have used. And it is just so versatile, has a very fast AF system and can shoot 24fps.

I shoot everything with it these days, BiF, landscapes, just general days out with the family. Even did a wedding the other week – as a guest but still shot as if I were being paid – and it was great. got some really nice shots with it.

Used to have a Canon 5D mkIII with chunks of L glass but overall I prefer the RX10 as it is just so much easier to carry around.

kiwijohn

I was looking at replacing my XT1 with an XS10 because it’s smaller, lighter, cheaper & faster with IBIS.
    If it was weather sealed, I would have done it.

willard

I still feel guilty about not choosing a Nikon, but they do not make anything that is as small/light as the Sony. Damn, I used to be such a Nikon fanboy as well.

flannol
    Free Member

+1 same, I feel guilty about it too!

I moved my whole pro system away from them a few years ago in favour of Sony, mostly because of the AF and video. Two (completely separate) high end Nikon systems had no end of AF issues for me – enough to make me give up on them. Despite them being, by far, the nicest ‘in hand’ cameras

They’re just a tool to do a/your job at the end of a day, no point getting emotional!

OP. Nice all on the camera, be interested to hear what you think. A friend is looking for similar

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.