Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 120 total)
  • Stile End byway repair is dangerous
  • Flattyres
    Free Member

‘always being able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear’

Yes, exactly. But you wouldn’t expect a newly built road to have a hairpin directly after a hump back bridge, without a sign? An extreme example I know, but you get my meaning.

My point to them is that designing something that can be ridden fast to end in a tight, blind, off camber corner with spikey rocks on the outside isn’t the best idea and could have been done better. People make mistakes (hands up who hasn’t crashed…..no one??) and the design of this trail IMO helps you makes those mistakes.

Vinte
    Free Member

It’s a lot easier to ride than it used to be, although I preferred that section when it was bedrock. However, since this has been ‘sanitised’ I can now ride up it, so every cloud. I wouldn’t really describe it as dangerous.

Vinte
    Free Member

However, I admit it did take me by surprise the first time I rode down there after the work had been done.

v666ern
    Free Member

big fun boulders that slow you down.

guessing other trail users wouldnt appreciate those though.

Probably a poor enalogy (sp) but

But you wouldn’t expect a newly built road to have a hairpin directly after a hump back bridge, without a sign

sounds like you want them to put up a gert big sign…

I also wouldnt be flat out going into a hump back bridge without being able to see what was on the other side whether i was in a car or a bike!

Flattyres
    Free Member

OK, not the best analogy but I still stand byb my point that this part of the trail could have been designed better.

v666ern
    Free Member

agreed, FWIW i think you’ve done the right thing if only to make them think about all potential users of the track in future

wrecker
    Free Member

Cut a trail in next to it.

ninfan
    Free Member

Inherently poor design is inherently poor design – if they build something like big squared edge ditches across the path then it’s going to cause accidents.

the ‘you should have seen it’ train of thought is foolish, nobody would say that if you dug a ditch across the Middle of the road and told everyone who drove into it that it was their own fault for not going slower.

You need to report the injury to the council, then look at your options regards litigation, as if you don’t then this type of thing will only go on.

oliverracing

You need to report the injury to the council, then look at your options regards litigation, as if you don’t then this type of thing will only go on.

Really ❓ I hope your taking the mickey as in my opinion silly things like this is where the whole blame/suing culture has come from and most like they’ll see the easiest option to ban cyclists “for the own safety”

Yes, I feel sorry for the guy who broke his wrist, but that is taking it to a whole new level

wwaswas

I still don;t understand why the person with the camera, having seen the issue, didn’t stop and advise other riders to slow down rather than just carrying on?

Flattyres
    Free Member

wwaswas – Because the bloke in front of me had stopped and was there to advise the other riders to slow down? My thinking was that it would be better to give the others coming behind me a clear line around the corner rather than present yet another obstacle??

And then I stopped and got on this form to inform you, who may be next down this trail, that you need to slow down???

Suggsey
    Free Member

My words of wisdom are simply, familiarity breeds contempt! As has been said ride to the speed of what you can see and stop/avoid on a new trail for certain, with familiarity you can again build speed/contempt but safe in the knowledge you will know the consequences of where you will end up!

stever
    Free Member

But be honest now, we don’t all ride at a speed that we can stop in. We make a call based on what we *expect* to be round the next corner based on what came before, what was there yesterday, what a trail a bit like it rode last year, whatever. And sometimes you just let off the brakes and go for it. That’s part of the fun.

If someone’s going to improve or sanitise a trail they have a duty to think about all the likely users on foot, bike, horse, Landrover, etc. Flattyres up the top thinks that didn’t happen. He was there and he generally knows what he’s talking about.

nick1962
    Free Member

Maybe ask if they could put a high banked berm on that bend to help you carry your speed round the corner a bit

lemonysam
    Free Member

Inherently poor design is inherently poor design – if they build something like big squared edge ditches across the path then it’s going to cause accidents.

As far as I can tell the OP’s upset about the corner, not the water bar which was the main thing that jumped out at me as being a bit off.

wwaswas

Because the bloke in front of me had stopped and was there to advise the other riders to slow down?

fair enough.

but tbh if someone stood there shouting ‘slow down’ wasn’t able to make people slow down enough to make the corner then they were going too fast.

It could have been a baby robin on the trail.

legend
    Free Member

wrecker – Member
    Cut a trail in next to it.
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

enduro line ftw

klumpy
    Free Member

This isn’t necessarily a gnar warrior only problem. Jasmine in the flowery dress with a small dog and baguette in her bar mounted basket, or Dad “racing” little Tarquin, all could just as easily be caught out by a deceptive corner.

postierich
    Free Member

Local trail to me and they have done a fine job in my opinion was a washed out mess before and the other trail users 4X4 struggled to clear. Still fun to ride at speed with the necessary handling skills and I can now ride up from the other side 🙂 That area gets lots of water!

5thElefant
    Free Member

I still don;t understand why the person with the camera, having seen the issue, didn’t stop and advise other riders to slow down film the carnage rather than just carrying on?

Fixed.

Flattyres
    Free Member

Lol 5thElefant, light relief always appreciated 😉

Postierich – I understand why the repair was made don’t have a problem with it on the whole, especially as you point out it now makes a good climb. I personally find the tight cobbled bends quite fun to ride. Just, as said previously, I don’t find that particluar tight, blind corner a very suitable way to end a long, steep straight section, given the jaggedy rocks of death on the outside.

wwaswas – yes, he didn’t make the corner therefore he was going too fast, which is why I find ninfan’s idea of ‘where there’s blame there’s a claim’ totally wrong.

However, a berm would be nice 😉

thekettle
    Free Member

Just spotted this thread. As a local with many friends on the Mountain Rescue team, that bend is fast becoming an mtb accident back spot! I could recount several similar stories to yours, some ending unconscious in the stream.
    There’s a few more trail repairs dotted about the lakes that have a similar effect. Typically they are really smooth, lure you up to speed and then go off-camber/loose gravel/big drop suddenly. Sticks pass has one, so does the Sprinkling tarn descent.
    No problem with them personally, it’s part of the adventure!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

skipped a few of the replies but would this help?

Trail, corner, not built up, eyes open?

antigee

I have just sent my first email of complaint about a trail

“first”? planning a campaign?

hope the guy with the injury recovers soon …at the back and failed to negotiate an obstacle because didn’t see it 🙄

you lost me on this one

warpcow
    Free Member

Sort of reminds me of a newish bridge on a local cyclepath: cyclepath makes a 90-degree left on one side due to straight ahead being a flight of steps down to the pavement, after a blind hump. Needless to say some old granny hucked the steps. Two weeks later there were concrete bollards and more signs than you could shake a stick at.

hora
    Free Member

How fast are these people riding? Obviously at 110% their ability.

The ‘compete/must keep up with my fast mate syndrome’?

Take it easy FFS.

wwaswas

many friends on the Mountain Rescue team, that bend is fast becoming an mtb accident back spot

maybe the MR people could talk to the local ROW officers and ask for change? It’ll carry a lot more weight than some random mtber making the same request.

I know I’ve been critical of the rider involved but I am sympathetic and if changes could be made to either advise (consciously or through trail design) riders that there was a hidden obstacle ahead then it can’t be a bad thing.

grenosteve
    Free Member

A little phrase popped into my head from Roadcraft:

‘always being able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear’

As a lifelong motorbike rider, this is how I choose to ride a mountain bike. It’s not fast, but it keeps you safe*.

(* that’s my excuse for being so slow anyway! 😉 )

robj20
    Free Member

Hope your friend is okay. But it just sounds like riding beyond the trail conditions. If its a blind corner you shouldn’t be going full speed round it.

DT78
    Free Member

Council will probably discuss banning mtbs from the trail as that would be easiest course of action, so because you fell off you may find you loose the trail, and potentially others for good. Tbh I’m with the you should always ride within your abilities. One of my worst crashes was on a trail I rode a couple of times a week and on a bend a tree had fallen at head height. That hurt. And no I didn’t send an email of complaint. I chalked it to experience an bad luck

Would be interesting to see how you would have not run over a small dog or child had they been coming up the trail.

hora
    Free Member

Most notable for me (own experiences)- locally I’ve fallen off and (hurt fairly badly) here in the Peak District:

Rushop Edge – rotor cuff. This bridleway is now in a tussle to be utterly sanitised due to safety/access concerns.

The Beast- busted knee.

You could argue that a bridleway should be rideable by all – so Beast would be smoothed out.

In no **** way would I send an email to the council on the above.

If your email ‘works’ Stile End will (in the future) have a straight line inserted so its still smoothish and straight the whole way.

Is that what you want? Its the only real solution to middle aged men riding fast to keep up/show they are ‘core’.

If revisions were made to make all trails safer it’d remove an element of fun for more competent riders. As I’ve said I’ve gone into that section twice- both times I was cautious (even though the second time I knew it was there). No ones going to pay my mortgage for me.

cakefacesmallblock

Maybe it’s just me ?
    I really do have every sympathy with anyone who injures themselves as a result of riding.
    But. This is the Lake District. Serious erosion of paths and so on, requires remedial work, drainage needs to work to prevent further erosion.
    Things change on routes, either naturally, like fallen trees, washed out trails from flood, frozen wheel grabbing ruts in winter, but that’s what we need to deal with.
    Sometimes things get changed, like they have here.
    It’s no blue graded trail centre.
    It’s a bit like saying that the parked car I drove into this morning wasn’t there yesterday.
    As for talk of litigation ! ?

hora
    Free Member

^Good points. (Most) Trail centres have predictability built in.

allthepies
    Free Member

Absolutely. But this is poorly thought through remedial work which has now become (or is becoming) an accident blackspot (see the Mountain Rescue comments above) and has resulted with someone ending up unconscious in a stream.

Should we just leave that as-is and shrug our shoulders ?

martinhutch

Realistically, what could they (or we) do to remedy it/reduce the risk?

Create a straight line? Given the drop, I think that just puts the problem into the next corner with the waterbar. And most riders would stick to the wider track thinking that it will be easier.

Signage? Not ideal, even close to the valley bottom.

Feature/grading of rock to slow riders on the approach? Not sure that anything short of a boulder field would slow down some folk on modern AM bikes on the approach.

Place a fence/banking to stop folk reaching the streambed? Maybe, or it could inflict injury/launch a rider into orbit.

allthepies
    Free Member

I’m not a trail designer but if there’s a hazard ahead then I would imagine slowing people down somehow would be the best course of action.

cakefacesmallblock

More to the point, perhaps. It evidently is rideable as the video clearly shows, by someone who knows the trail, those who don’t, often those following who haven’t ridden it before, can easily get caught out. That, however, is mountain biking.
    Very often we will find ourselves with newbies or non locals riding where we do regularly , there are a few ‘ techy’ bits and some which ( and I’m no gnar freak, not at my age ! ) , conditions dependent, I’ll get of and walk ( ! ) at .
    Sure, sometimes , with a group, someone will know the route and maybe shout up ‘ watch yer selves just after the stream / fallen tree’ or whatever.

hora
    Free Member

Create a straight line?

Yes- then it ruins it for the vast majority of riders who want more than straight lines in their riding.

If all bridelways were made to match all levels of riders ability we’d start switching to other stuff.

nbt

I think the problem here (from what was said above) is that the track leading into this corner was straightened when it was rebuilt. It actually needs to be *LESS* straight on the lead-in, so as to control speed

jameso

Trail Centre and Bridleway, not the same. Why does a ROW need features to control speed? That’s what experience, sense and brakes are for (I’m in old man mode, I know). I’m suprised that ‘trail design’ is coming into a discussion about a bridleway – they’re not made for bikes, we just have a right to use them.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 120 total)

The topic ‘Stile End byway repair is dangerous’ is closed to new replies.