• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by GW.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Stiffening up my rear triangle
  • Raindog
    Free Member

I’m running QR’s with a Shimano FH-M475 rear hub. Is it possible for me to buy adaptors to run a solid rear axle ?

clubber
    Free Member

You could convert it to a bolt up (solid) axle easily enough though you’ll need to take a 15mm spanner with you in case you need to change a tube…

Raindog
    Free Member

I was thinking of something like this

Hairychested
    Free Member

A wheel built on a Hope BigUn with a d521 will do nicely.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Doubt it’s gonna make significant difference.

cynic-al
    Free Member

That won’t work btw. you need a threaded axle.

Hairychested
    Free Member

A properly stiff wheel won’t work? Gotta disagree with you mate on this one. His hub isn’t rigid enough, the rim probably lacks rigidity too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

No, his suggested axle won’t fit his hub.

If he wants a stiffer wheel then you may be right, he wanted to stiffen his rear triangle though.

thomthumb
    Free Member

why?

Rorschach
    Free Member

As much as I hate to agree with Al (twice….it pains me so) that 10mm qr won’t fit and I don’t have the pre-requisite patience to explain why.Put a nutted axle in it.
    In terms of stiffness it makes bugger all difference unless its a proper pinch bolted dropout design (that goes for maxle and 142X aswell).However having your wheels held on by a 4mm piece of steel rod and 50 year old designed cam fills me with dread.Its just a more secure way of attaching wheels to a bike.

neninja
    Free Member

He’d need to fit a Superstar or Hope 10mm rear hub to use that 10mm QR.

I’ve got a Hope 10mm rear wheel with a Superstar 10mm QR which seemed to be stiffer than a regular QR.

Also Fireeye do a cheap 10mm QR – almost 1/3 of the price of the NC17 ones – http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=39202

cynic-al
    Free Member

Rosarch, does it pain you to concede that your prejudices about me are wrong? 😛

However having your wheels held on by a 4mm piece of steel rod and 50 year old designed cam fills me with dread

Works for many milions of riders, including gnarly types.

TT, not sure what your question is.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I can do you a nice line of Bigun’s on D321’s – indestructawheels. 😉

kimbers

i found a 10mm thru qr axel like the nc17 one or the burlier superstar ones do stiffen up the rear of multi linkage bikes, noticeable when landing jumps and drops at squiffy angles

you will need a new wheel with a compatible hub

or try one of these
    no experience with them myself and pricey…
    http://www.stif.co.uk/mtb/product/dt-rws-wheel-skewers/7206

Raindog
    Free Member

All food for thought, thanks. On reflection I think I’ll stop worrying and ride my bike as it is.

adstick
    Free Member

on some suspension bikes it can make a huge difference. Do mountain bikes need QRs?

Hairychested
    Free Member

@one_happy_hippy: sorry to hijack but what length of spokes for the rear? Can’t work it out. Thanks!

GW
    Free Member

have you tried lifting drink bottles? 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Stiffening up my rear triangle’ is closed to new replies.