Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Stiff XType BB (Raceface)
  • atlaz
    Free Member

Just installed a 2nd hand crankset I got off the classifieds and the cranks don’t spin as freely as the other Evolve crankset I’ve got. This fine or do I need remedial actions?

giantjason
    Free Member

have you tightened the cranks to the proper torque?

i have the same issue when i changed my cranks and realised they were too tight.

atlaz
    Free Member

That would assume I’m not a ham fisted ape who has a torque wrench. I don’t 🙂

I’ll give my other ones a tweak and see how tight the bolt is on those and try to replicate. Or I’ll go borrow a torque wrench.

cynic-al
    Free Member

it will make bgger all difference riding

gonetothehills
    Free Member

(see my thread about BB’s) but I’ve been reading about installing / removing cranks recently and RaceFace say there’s no real setting for the bolt as it ‘bottom’s out’ They say:

“Tighten the RH crank bolt until the crank bottoms-out on the spindle. This is a hard stop. You will not be able to tighten the bolt further. This completes the installation.”

To me; that removes the ham-fisted home mechanic potential, and is very reassuring! I suspect though, that there’s some other thing that we could still muck up in the install procedure… 🙂

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ll shove the chain on and see how it pedals and worry about it after that then.

jonathan
    Free Member

Yep – RF cranks bottom out so torque settings aren’t really important. You can tweak the bearing tension by removing or changing washers/spacers on the spindle – it’s in the instructions on the RF website.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Stiff XType BB (Raceface)’ is closed to new replies.