Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Stiff lever – Brand X Ascend
  • saintsludge
    Free Member

Hi
    My reverb went in for a service via Evans but came back as being unable to be repaired – only 18months old!!
    Anyway i bought a Brand X Ascend dropper which Evans fitted. But the Lever is stiff to use although the post is working fine. Is this likely to be a the way its been installed or a problem with the lever/ dropper.

anyone else experienced this problem and have a solution?

thanks

devash
    Free Member

The stock cabling that comes with the Brand X is quite poor. I would replace with Shimano SP 41 and Shimano inner wire, Optislick inner if you can stretch to it.

philjunior
    Free Member

The stock cabling that comes with the Brand X is quite poor. I would replace with Shimano SP 41 and Shimano inner wire, Optislick inner if you can stretch to it.

This. Or what I did was a Shimano inner and plenty of Shimano cable grease 1-2 weeks after we’d fitted the post (it had been left out in the rain on a camping trip tbf, probably would’ve lasted OK if we’d greased it up in the first place, but you don’t have to do that with SP41). The higher the spec of cable the better, optislick won’t be much more than a standard one and will work better for longer, with the price of a cable/time it takes to fit it, almost certainly long enough to justify the extra expense.

Poopscoop

As above but I’d also be inclined to whip it out and check the routing. Replace the cable at same time if you wish to.

matt_outandabout

Agreed on the cable.

Mine needs replacing as often as the gear cables to stay smooth.

welshfarmer

Good to hear I am not the only one experiencing this. Will investigate further armed with this knowledge

kayak23

I have to manually thumb the lever fully home to lock the post properly. Put a new inner in and greased up good. Still have to make with the thumb…

P-Jay
    Free Member

All of the above, plus even if it’s in perfect working order, it won’t be quite as nice as the Reverb lever (assuming you didn’t have the stupid push button version).

If you find yourself with £60 burning a hole in your pocket, the Wolftooth lever is a lovely upgrade and is pretty much perfect until the cable gets dirty, or rather than barrel thing at the end of it. They get crapped up and rusty after a bit, but it’s an easy job to replace.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I have to manually thumb the lever fully home to lock the post properly. Put a new inner in and greased up good. Still have to make with the thumb…

IME it’s the barrel at the other end of the cable that needs the attention, or possible a tight bend in the outter.

plus-one

I have newer brand x lever on my 2 year old post(one that attaches at lever end) I did fit Teflon inner with jagwire outer it’s been flawless.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Stiff lever – Brand X Ascend’ is closed to new replies.