Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Stiff bearing in HT2 bottom bracket.
  • Badgerpoo
    Free Member

I installed a new BB to my 3 year old Trek Remedy just before a weeks holiday in Morzine. On return home, I noticed that the cranks are turning a bit stiffly so removed them. Turns out the non drive side bearing is very stiff to turn. Any ideas whats wrong? Surely they don’t need to be replaced again so soon, especially after a holiday that didn’t really involve a great deal of pedalling!

anjs
    Free Member

Sounds like the preload was done up totight. It only needs to be finger tight.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Much rain?

Badgerpoo
    Free Member

Preload was only done up with a little twiddle tool, it’s not like I cranked it on. Also I’ve been using the same tightness on the old bottom bracket for years with no ill effects.

A little rain, but nothing compared to one wet ride back here.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Try HERE for my suggestion on how to get a HT2 BB spinning again. Perhaps in your case skip the WD40 try adding a little grease and working it in the bearing.

Klunk
    Free Member

Much rain?

it does sound like it’s rusted up, IME it’s rust that usual does for them and not grit (assuming it’s not stainless or ceramic).

Badgerpoo
    Free Member

Turns out it’s seized solid, the stiffness was the plastic bearing cover moving against the bearing. The bearings themselves look shiny and new (being 2 weeks old, I’d expect them too!) and have loads of grease on them. Even trying to force them to move they won’t budge. Have I got any chance of getting them replaced by the shop?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Stiff bearing in HT2 bottom bracket.’ is closed to new replies.