Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Sticky Piston
  • getonyourbike
    Free Member

I keep getting a sticky piston in the rear calliper of my Formula Oros. It’s a reoccuring thing. I do what you should, get sticky piston out by holding the other piston in and pressing the brake, lube it with fork juice, push back in and repeat. However, doing this numerous times still doesn’t cure the problem.

What do I have to do? Do I need to strip the calliper down and put new pistons in? That sounds like a ball ache 🙁

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

fork juice may not be the right thing. I don’t know if it is compatible with the seals in brakes but I doubt it. Use the correct fluid or red rubber grease. you may have a corroded piston in which case remove it and clean it – but have new seals to hand as you might damage a seal putting it back or the seal may have gone / swelled up.

Try teh right lube or try new seals

Northwind

It’s just silicon spray- won’t have any ill effect, but won’t fix the problem either. Strip and clean (or get a shop to do it- it’s not hard, but it can be a pain in the arris). Might need new seals and piston, might not.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cardo

Strip , clean, replace stuff and rebuild…. pain in the @ss but will solve it. (sorry just fully read the post above) but yes that’s right!

getonyourbike
    Free Member

yeh, Fork Juice is jut silcon spray, like Northwind said. I’ll try again with the some red rubber grease and if that doesn’t fix it I’ll buy some new pistons and seals and have a go at taking it apart and putting the new ones in.

Cheers

spooky_b329

Use brake fluid to lube the seal/piston.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’m sure I’ve just used some Dot 5.1 to lube it before. I’ll have a go with the Dot, if it doesn’t work I’ll get some red rubber grease and if that fails then new pistons and seals put together with a touch of red rubber grease.

KonaTC

Based on my experience recurring sticky pistons can be caused by a few things

Dirt trapped between calliper and piston

Temporary fix – pump the piston out as far as you dare and clean/lube with a cotton bud and brake fluid/silicon spray/fork juice/ etc. Refit reset brakes

Permanent fix – strip clean fit calliper rebuild kit.

Hardened seals on the piston

Temporary fix – pump the piston out as far as you dare and clean/lube with a cotton bud and brake fluid/silicon spray/fork juice/ etc. Refit reset brakes

Permanent fix – strip clean fit calliper rebuild kit.

Calliper Corrosion

Temporary fix – strip clean then very very fine wet and dry to remove the corrosion rebuild the brakes but expect the exposed aluminium alloy to corrode really fast

Permanent fix –new brakes

Top Tips

Before you start;

Read the manual
    Watch useful videos on U-Tube or Manufacturers (Formula) website
    Have the right tools/bleed kit/fluids/cleaning materials, etc

And make sure you have plenty of; Penitence, Time, Space, Light and in my case Coffee

EDIT

Enjoy 🙂

Northwind

Just lubing it now’s very unlikely to fix it- might delay having to fix it properly a little but it’s preventative rather than repairy.

eshershore
    Free Member

@ spooky b329

Use brake fluid to lube the seal/piston.

DOT fluid is not a lubricant

yes, it will assist in the inital re-installation of the piston against the seal inside the brake caliper halves

but it doesn’t do anything to address the issue of seal drag on the pistons as the DOT actually causes the seal to swell slightly (this helps seal the piston bore)

what you actually want (and is used / recommended by brake manufacturers in their factories and during servicing) is high temperature silicon grease (AVID sell this under their Pitstop label, or just use RS or automotive DOT rebuild grease)

you want to use this sparingly on the seals before re-installing the pistons, and then wipe any excess on the piston surface with rubbing alcohol before rebuilding the caliper

makes a massive different to a disc brake, will make the pistons feel silky smooth and prevent long term issues with piston imbalance 😉

_tom_
    Free Member

Had sticky pistons on one of my Avid Juicy 5s. Bought a new piston kit and some red rubber grease and replaced them. I’m pretty crap with anything that can’t be installed with allen keys and/or a hammer, and I didn’t have any problems. Feels quite nice now. Think the other one needs doing at some point.

juiced
    Free Member

had a sticky piston on my maguras iirc. the tech site suggested just cycling them and that worked ( touches wood )

iirc it was because the bike had not been used for a while so i guess the lubrication had dried up.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Sticky Piston’ is closed to new replies.