Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Sticky curtain rail – lubrication?
  • munkster
    Free Member

Our relatively new (<2 years) curtain tracks in our bay window are starting to catch occasionally. Is there a standard way to lubricate curtain tracks? Obviously I don’t want anything that will mark the curtains and ideally something you can spray on with with curtains still attached (but pulled to the side).

eg. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-41923-400ml-Silicone-Lubricant/dp/B000TOFOSU/ref=asc_df_B000TOFOSU

?

Rio

Standard approach I believe is to rub a candle along them. Probably depends how fancy they are though, if they’re really expensive you may need to get an artisanal lube from the manufacturer.

phiiiiil

I used silicone spray on some new plastic curtain tracks that stuck in a few places, it worked surprisingly well and as far as I’ve noticed the curtains haven’t fallen to bits or gone a funny colour and no baby robins have died.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    globalti
    Free Member

Try spraying Mr Sheen or similar wax polish onto a rag and wiping it on. It’s carnauba wax so should be nice and slippery. Just the action of cleaning the rails ought to help because they’re probably gummed up with worn-off plastic.

munkster
    Free Member

Thanks all, three different suggestions in as many posts, what I come to expect from STW, in a good way! 😉

Nothing fancy about the curtains or the rails, but are glad of them in the winter that’s for sure so do need to take care of them…

BigJohn

Silicone spray every time.

Keva
    Free Member
    Keva
    Free Member

chain oil

null

munkster
    Free Member

null

Pyro

6 replies and no-one’s suggested you stop wiping your willy on the curtains?

Is disappoint.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Depends on on exactly what you’ve got in terms of tracks or rails.

Dry Silicone spray (get stuff designed for sewing machines ideally) is the right stuff to use but catching on the corners isn’t always something you’ll solve long term with lube and you might actually make it worse depending on what’s causing it to stick.

Do you know what you’ve got, was it a custom job or just a plastic track forced into the bends?

fasthaggis

What Rio said.Standard approach I believe is to rub a candle along them
    One should be enough.
    If you have none in the house,don’t ask for four at the shop.

racefaceec90

Bunnyhop

I would just clean them with hot water and washing up liquid (ecover if you’re looking after the environment).

Edit: Clean the centre bit first. Unhook the last outside hook of each curtain, then draw them into the middle to clean the outer bits of rail.

fossy

Silicone spray – you’ll have some of that won’t you for your fork seals after rides !

rone

Family had curtain shop. They used silicone spray.

neilnevill
    Free Member

mine round a bay window were getting very draggy, as it does form time to time. quick wipe with a duster with furniture polish sprayed on and they glide super smooth again, and I expect will be good for a year or so before i will need to repeat.

ransos
    Free Member

Candle wax is the answer.

maccruiskeen

putoline

chakaping
    Free Member

Good to see somebody beat me to the twin peaks reference months ago.

Though I was just gonna say grease and cotton balls.

brokenbanjo

Ky jelly

escrs
    Free Member

As already said use some polish

Also works very well on kids slides, so much so that they shoot off the end at tremendous speed!

phiiiiil

Why did you resurrect an old thread about curtain rails? Were there really no more interesting candidates with which to scratch that itch?

Cougar

Why did you resurrect an old thread about curtain rails?

I didn’t see it myself, but it could possibly have been bumped by a deleted spam post. It happens.

I wouldn’t worry about it anyway, pull yourself together.

lesgrandepotato

Banjo man has is KY. if the curtains aren’t sorted the neighbours will talk anyway.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

brokenbanjo

Ky jelly

The voice of hard earned experience

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Sticky curtain rail – lubrication?’ is closed to new replies.