Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Sticking front mech?
  • scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Noticed I was having some issues with my front mech on the roadbike. Changed the cable for new on Friday and went for a long ride on Saturday, filled with loads of horrible climbs over the last 40 miles. My masochistic enjoyment was short lived when I found that the mech would not drop down to the small ring. The cable would loosen and the mech would stay as it was, which meant I had some real clipped in, unexpectedly trackstanding, panicky stops with cars flying past me – not a lot of fun.

Took the mech off today, and when I moved it outwards it would stay where it was, rather than springing back. So I stuck it in a pot of chain cleaner and left it all afternoon. Took it out, gave it a polish and scrub with an old toothbrush and now it springs back nicely. 😀

Should I just stick it back on the bike, or stick some grease or lube into the hinges of it?

alexpalacefan

It’s salt of the road attacking the aluminium.
    Try to rinse off any spray with fresh water after you ride, that should do the trick.

A coating of grease/oil can’t hurt either.

APF

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve had this before and I’ve heard the road salt theory, however I think it’s more likely to be a case of demonic possession.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Cheers. The bikes been ridden didn’t throughout the winter, so I’m sure the demonic possession had been helped along by the salt and grit. I’ll grease and lube it before replacing.

Alex – congratulations on the semi final BTW.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Sticking front mech?’ is closed to new replies.