Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Sticking doors
  • teenrat

I had two internal pine doors put in a few months ago. Before the doors were installed, they were treated with three coats of danish oil. However, the doors are now sticking . When the weather is dry, the doors do not stick at all, but when the weather is wet, the door swells. I am loathed to trim either the door, ot the frame as the door is the right size when dry. Does danish oil seal the door, or does it allow water vapour into the door. Also, can a satin varnish be applied over the danish oil to seal the door?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

My double doors into the dining room were sticking slightly so I rubbed the effected edges with a bar of soap which cured the symptoms pretty effectively.

Any scope to adjust the hinges?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Any scope to adjust the hinges?

This. Though, be careful.

TBH, I’d more likely borrow an electric plane from someone and just shave a mm off each one. Sometimes, it’s only the tiniest bit that makes the difference and won’t lead to a mahoosive gap when the heating goes back on.

Also, if you know what you’re doing, you can plane a leading edge on the doors. This is not strictly allowed and again, has to be done uber carefully.

Oh, and the oil doesn’t make the doors impervious to climatic changes; especially softwoods.

kayak23

No finish will stop wood doing what wood does really. Just borrow a plane and shave a little off here and there. I’d advise using a hand plane, not an electric plane. These can take mahoosive chunks off if you don’t know what you’re doing.

The beauty of Danish oil is you can just wang some more on to the bit you plane.

If the door sticks seasonally, then really it just needs more clearance. Its nice to have a minimal gap but you have to be sympathetic to the materials.

CountZero

Rub a candle on the edges.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Sandpaper

crankboy
    Free Member

they will need time and adjustment to settle ours have been plane’d with a hand plane and also rebated the hinges a bit by removing about one mm behind the hinge with a chisel . also one had crept down the lintel and was catching the floor i solved this by weging it up a bit and tweeking the hinges in the lintell by putting matches in the bottom of the screw holes so that the hinges went up by the thickness of a squashed match.

project
    Free Member

Did the doors get sealed on the top and bottom of the door, if you trim them always trim on the hinge side or otherwise you will hit the latch/lock,you can also re sink the hinges slightly to get them to fit better.

Best to use a SHARP hand plane and ensure the door doesnt slip by clamping it in a vice or workmate.

Also check the framae is securely fixed to the wall.

globalti
    Free Member

Use a hand plane; an electric one will destroy the door before you can say “BandQ”

Danish oil will not protect the wood. Use proper varnish, Dulux Trade polyurethane in satin is very very good and looks like a nice muted wax sheen. Three coats, rubbed down between.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Sticking doors’ is closed to new replies.