Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)
  • Steve Worland
  • ayupwesty
    Free Member

Very sad
    Always looked forward to reading his work
    He will be missed
    Rip

ojom
    Free Member

I had the pleasure of dealing with Steve through work. Always enjoyed a chat at a trade show-he was level headed and straight up and down. One of the good guys.

teasel
    Free Member

Always thought he was a good advocate for facial stubble and a steely gaze.

His words will be missed…

toppers3933
    Free Member

So very sad. A true mtb legend. All my love to his family and friends.

z1ppy

Tragic news, RIP.

toby1

Wtf is all I can say. Doesn’t seem real, he was too young!

timc
    Free Member

Replied to every question I ever asked him on Twiiter, which may sound trivial, but he was a true gent! Heart goes out to his family & friends.

racefaceec90

i remember having a poster from mbuk of him riding a fisher cr7 down a french alp (late 80’s). r.i.p steve 🙁

shermer75
    Free Member

I am absolutely blown away by this news, I can’t believe it has happened. A true giant of MTB journalism. Massive condolences to his family.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I always think of Steve riding a Whyte 46 on the front cover of WMB.A brilliant image that hopefully someone could post up on here.RIP Fella.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

No!

Many’s the time I’ve read his articles or seen his rugged looks riding a bike. No longer. May the singletrack where his soul has gone be smooth and flowing.

A link with our halcyon past has gone. We too are getting older.

keefus
    Free Member

RIP Steve. You will be missed by many.

acjim
    Free Member

Shocked to read this, Mr Worland used to rip past me on regular occasions at Ashton Court

RIP Steve

zokes
    Free Member

Bummer. My teenage years were spent reading and re-reading his MBUK articles 🙁

RIP

timothecimmerian

Bloody hell – sad, sad news. Didn’t know Steve personally, but I guess like many on here we’ve been reading his stuff for so many years it felt like we did. RIP.

woodsman
    Free Member

Certainly a stalwart and legend in the mtb industry. I recently bought some stuff over on Retrobike from a SteveW – amazed that it was the man himself! RIP

just5minutes
    Free Member

I have to say that I was gutted when I saw this thread appear last night.

Perhaps it’s that my love for all things two wheels bloomed at a relatively early age but for me Steve Worland’s various bike tests and articles have been a constant thread in my adult life since his first contributions to Bicycle Action magazine, and subsequently alongside those from John Stevenson – which I guess puts the timeline in the mid to late eighties.

58 seems very young to pass on and is made all the more poignant by his planned wedding in April. I can’t begin to imagine the pain that his partner and daughter are experiencing right now but hope that in time they will be able to reflect on the huge amount of pleasure that Steve’s work brought bike nuts like me over the last 25 or so years.

RIP and Happy Trails Steve.

tang
    Free Member

Nice quote from Guy Kesteven

Long-time friend and fellow journalist, Guy Kesteven, said: “If mountain biking had a John Peel it was Steve. An unparalleled pioneer with an unfathomable depth of wisdom who was way ahead of the curve with most ideas, from short stems and long top tubes to racing full suspension cross country and experimenting with ‘weird’ wheel sizes.

“He had remarkable mix of individuality and fierce passion for what he believed in, yet was always incredibly approachable, patient and inspirational as a mentor or writer. It was a pleasure to read Steve’s quietly spoken, infinitely wise, wry smile-wreathed text and an honour to ride in his tyre tracks. He’ll always be weaving through the singletrack and syntax with me. A true legend and a life very well lived indeed. Thanks Steve.”

Certainly the John Peel of MTB.

thegreatpotato
    Free Member

Shocked when I saw this too. RIP and condolences.

thered

Terrible terrible news, my condolences to his family.

Northwind

Very sad 🙁 Never met the man but he’s been such a voice for us.

Caher

shocked and sad. Condolences to his family.

JoeG
    Free Member

As above.

And he wrote a couple of sections of “The History of Mountain Biking” that I just got last week and haven’t read yet. I’ll spend some more time on his articles now, no doubt.

duckman

Awful news,he was one of the faces of the explosion of our sport here in the late 80’s and early 90’s. His legacy is that anybody over about 35 who rides will have read and enjoyed his work. RIP.

Andy-R

Just terrible news – my sincere condolences to his family and friends.

ononeorange

Say it’s not true. Terrible news and I opened this thread having just been reading his column in Singletrack.

A great guy and far too young. Best wishes to his family.

Ed-O
    Free Member

Like many I remember reading his reviews back in the day (and lusting after a DeKerf)

R.I.P.

Sad news indeed 🙁

RIP Steve

AndyRT
    Free Member

Words fail me. His opinions mattered to me. I never met him, but his views on bikes became my own.

Sad news indeed. RIP.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Only just found this thread, I raced against him quite a few times, never managed to beat him, nice bloke very sad news. RIP.

Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘Steve Worland’ is closed to new replies.