• This topic has 88 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by bol.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • Steve Jobs – Customer Service Fail
  • DrJ

But their adverts say stuff like 'you can download loads of apps' then they say 'only on Apple'. But it's not only on Apple….

Yes, let's have ads that say things like "Wizzo Soap gets most of your wash moderately clean". You're really grasping at straws if you criticise a company ad campaign for hyping their product!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

I really am struggling to give a f'ck that that people who need the latest gizmo and have been whipped in to a frenzyby marketting spin now have a white elephant. In fact I am chuckling a little at your misfortune…like he says dont hold it that way surely if you can master the phone you can hold it differently ? I mean it is not that hard to do is it and you still look like you are the king/queen of zeitgeist.

GrahamS

But their adverts say stuff like 'you can
    download loads of apps' then they say 'only on
    Apple'. But it's not only on Apple….

Can't say I've ever intetpreted it like that.

I generally took it to be "Look at these particular apps.. Only on Apple" (i.e. these apps are App Store exclusives) rather than "Only Apple allow third-party applications to be installed" which is obviously bollocks and the Ad watchdog would (presumably) have them for.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Bridging the antenna band ?

Bit of sellotape, job done.

I even have special iTape here, yours for £69.99 posted.

ZaskarCarbon
    Free Member

Perhaps the antenna issue is a deliberate ploy by Apple to flog their £25 'bumpers'…. Hmmmmmmm…

GrahamS

It'd be a pretty shit ploy if it was!

My money is still on a dodgy batch that are missing a non-conductive coating over that bit – rather than a fundamental design cock-up.

epicyclo

MacRumors has the latest on it.

Storm in a teacup really. Less serious than discovering your bike doesn't go well if you stick your foot between the chain and chainring.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Oh, you do that as part of your normal riding do you?

ZaskarCarbon
    Free Member

I'm not sure that I'd refer to it as a storm in a teacup, given the position of the antennas is pretty much exactly where most people hold the phone, hence in a position where it is going to give the biggest percentage of people the most problems….

molgrips
    Free Member

You're really grasping at straws if you criticise a company ad campaign for hyping their product!!

Not really – good ads shouldn't have to imply somethign that's not true. The add would be just as effective if it said that the apple store was much better than ad-hoc download of any old junk, which is perfectly true. Doesn't need to imply that you can only download apps on apple phones.. as it did when I read it. I'm sure I'm not alone.

cynic-al
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member

Storm in a teacup really.

B*llocks!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

as it did when I read it

Really?

GrahamS

Yep sorry but hardly a "Storm in a teacup"

Regardless of how widespread a problem it turns out to be, the net is buzzing with this story and Apple's "So ****?" attitude to it is making it look really very arrogant.

higgo
    Free Member

My money is still on a dodgy batch that are missing a non-conductive coating over that bit

My money is on the testers having had them in a case so they never picked up on it.

But I am not a professional gambler and know **** all about how Apple test their products.

GrahamS

My money is on the testers having had them in
    a case so they never picked up on it.

Seems a little unlikely, but I suppose it is possible.
    But that wouldn't account for the folk (including people on this forum) who reportedly don't have this issue on their handsets.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Well I got mine yesterday with minimal fuss, and transferred perfectly and the phone is a vast improvement on my old 3G. I wanted it for the improved GPS and multitasking. Tested it this morning and the GPS is a lot more accurate. Its a bit of a pain in the *ss though that everyone has this BIG chip on their shoulder about Apple. I bought an iphone when they first came out because it was revolutionary, and light years better than any mobile Id had before. Then I bought a macbook through my business to do iphone development, and yes there are times I need to use windows on it for business stuff, which I run in VMWare perfectly. But on the whole, I would never buy another laptop again, and certainly not another phone. Ive tried all the Nokia and HTC models, and the iphone is light years ahead of any of them in terms of user experience and interface.

But its again like "hardtail or suss" conversations, each to their own, and no need to flame each other about personal choice. Its like standing on a trail next to other guys with different bikes pointing at theirs and jumping up and down shouting "MY GOD YOU ACTUALLY RIDE THAT PIECE OF CRAP????" Not really very intelligent is it?
    😀

br
    Free Member

lol thats the most horrific flaw I think I've ever seen designed into a product.

No, I think you need to read a bit more…, say square windows in the original De Havilland Comet?

GrahamS

Nice rant scottyjohn, but the question is: does your shiny new phone suffer from this problem?

molgrips
    Free Member

Really?

Yes.

We may or may not be talking about the same ad, mind.

DrJ

good ads shouldn't have to imply somethign that's not true

Nobody but you seems to think that the ads imply anything that is not true.

molgrips
    Free Member

The word is disingenuous I think.

coffeeking
    Free Member

No, I think you need to read a bit more…, say square windows in the original De Havilland Comet?

Nah, that was a little known problem before it occured, this problem is clearly visible to an amateur electronics enthusiast – the Apple designers should have nailed it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

lol thats the most horrific flaw I think I've ever seen designed into a product.

perhaps the zepplin use of hydrogen was a bit of a flaw. those cars you could not stop and others that have resulted in deaths just fade into the background and are insignificant when you just have to hold your phone in a special way.
    Are you a spin doctor, a tabloid journalist or just following England and stuck in hyperbole mode?

GrahamS

this problem is clearly visible to an
    amateur electronics enthusiast – the Apple
    designers should have nailed it.

I'd say it is fairly obvious to anyone that owns a radio or a tv with an indoor antenna!

Which, combined with the fact that only some phones are effected, makes me think it is probably a production error rather than a design fault.

ZaskarCarbon
    Free Member

scottyjohn – Member
    Ive tried all the Nokia and HTC models, and the iphone is light years ahead of any of them in terms of user experience and interface.

And that's where it ends. It's easier to use, granted. The user interface is a bit 'marmite' – you either love it or hate it. The rest of the phone's features aren't market leading in any way, shape or form, with the exception of possibly the screen until one of Apple's rivals brings out something better. Won't take them long now that they know the tech.

Nick

Of course it's a storm in a tea-cup, what planet are you living on? The only people who will 'suffer' are those that need to display their 'coolness' by being one of the first to buy the product, it's just a display of banal western consumerism. As Chris Morris would probably say, they aren't the zeitgeist, they're the shitegeist.

Jamie
    Free Member

they aren't the zeitgeist, they're the shitegeist.

Should put that in a T-Shirt.

kimbers

like i said before people hate apple because they are just another big corporation whos only purpose is to take money out of your pocket
    like tescos, macdonalds or bp

ocrider

Who is Steve jobs?

L Ron Hubbard 2.0

Buying his updated shinies is rather like moving up OT levels, IMO.

GrahamS

The rest of the phone's features aren't market leading in any way, shape or form, with the exception of possibly the screen

Sorry, but this is bollocks.

I can't really be arsed getting into a component by component breakdown. (Feel free to google it yourself) but things like the A4 CPU, 30fps HD video, 32GB storage, gyros, magnetometer, 1420mAh battery etc ARE "market-leading".

Obviously they are not the only phones to have specs like these, but they are certainly pretty close to the edge hardware-wise.

Besides you rathet miss the point if you think folk buy these because of geeky hardware features. Fanbois aside, people buy them because they find them to be slick, well designed and good at what they do.

Which is what makes the current teacup-storm so interesting.

GrahamS

like i said before people hate apple because
    they are just another big corporation whos only
    purpose is to take money out of your pocket
    like tescos, macdonalds or bp

Yep so they avoid them and buy Google instead 🙄

rootes1

perhaps the zepplin use of hydrogen was a bit of a flaw. t

wasn't the issue the conductive and flammable outer skin of the ship?

kimbers

hes worse than hubbard
    hes created a cult whereby the cool kids are addicted to the next gizmo that he extrudes, the minute he adds an feature to one of his products the older ones become obsolete
    so the strip mining of the congo continues apace to supply the necessary coltan that pays the warlords who sell to companies to make gadgets like these
    yay for consumerism
    yay for genocide
    yay for apple
    yay for soil contamination
    yay for steve jobs

http://offtoseaoncemore.blogspot.com/2007/07/igenocide-mass-murder-iphone-and-you.html

GrahamS

Says kimbers from his ethically-sourced FairTrade bamboo PC that he has had since 1996?

kimbers

i think youll find ive had it longer than that

GrahamS

Well don't go thinking that brass came without some mining.
    That walnut was felled from somewhere.
    And is that an ivory clock face or mother of pearl? 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

The fabric was coated in solid rocket fuel actually.

As for that desk – that kind of thing was only made possible by the vast gulf between rich and poor, resulting from the exploitation of most of the world…

rootes1

The fabric was coated in solid rocket fuel actually.

Yep that was it!

Junkyard
    Free Member

well we could debate whether the igniion source or the fuel was the crtical error but I think we can safely call yje Zepellin a design flaw greater than a phone you need to hold in a special way.*
    I agree Kimbers ….here have a feature you never asked for to do something else you dont really need like constant updates of Office and Microsoft OS adds nothing much to your life if anything but HUGE profits for the purveyors from the gullible.
    * I would be annoyed if I had bought one to be fair.

CountZero

Having not been on here for a bit due to having a life and getting out and enjoying it, I'm surprised no-one picked up on the updates to this issue that show that the problem affects practically all cellphones. There are issues raised about it on Google Support for Nexus phones, there's YouTube video of a Nokia 6820 (I think) showing the same problem. It's all down to the location of the antenna in the phone. Most are internal, the iPhone 4's external, part of the support frame structure, and, unlike other phones, something really simple can be done to alleviate the problem. It's probably much more noticeable in the US because the only network for iPhones is AT&T, who are notorious for their shonky network with dropped calls a real issue. A test between a 3GS and a 4G has shown the 4G picks up and holds a phone signal on AT&T much better, due to it's more exposed antenna.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Steve Jobs – Customer Service Fail’ is closed to new replies.