Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • Sterling goes to Citeh for £49million
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The English media don’t destroy players potential, they merely build it up to a ridiculous level, than generally the player himself does the rest.

I feel sorry for city fans, and I really mean that. A club that was once seen as a proper football club, living in the shadow of a corporate behemoth, and now…. They are more despised than Chelsea by your average football goer. Sad that.

scaredypants

^^ or he could goto citeh and get paid vast amounts to warm the bench wasting away like so many before him.

There’s worse things in life
    If he’s kack, then he should take the money and shut up; if it turns out that he’s good, then he’s potentially in a team that can take him further (and he can take the money whilst that happens)

eruptron
    Free Member

Anyway, you seem to be feeling slightly sorry for RS Eruptron, possibly time to recalibrate your empathy

Nope I’m not his biggest fan. There is however 2 sides to every story we only have the one the media would like us to believe. If he provides the counter attacking speed that City have lacked in the last few years when teams come and get 11 men behind the ball then this this could be a very exciting move.
    We will also find out in the coming days and weeks the class of our media and LFC.
    It will be very interesting.

eruptron
    Free Member

I feel sorry for city fans, and I really mean that. A club that was once seen as a proper football club, living in the shadow of a corporate behemoth, and now…. They are more despised than Chelsea by your average football goer. Sad that.

Don’t feel sorry for City fans they know their roots and where they’ve come from and believe me they would rather be in that position winning trophies than playing Macc on a damp winters afternoon. (and I mean no disrespect to Macc as I used to watch them before moving)
    The hatred for City is only that of the weak minded who have been completely brain washed by certain media and there love of what they consider the top 4.
    Such a shame because if one of these so called teams had done as much in such a short period of time they’d whip themselves into a frenzy.
    Check out the training complex and the jobs that have been created in Manchester a positive that MCFC have made that will get little exposure.
    So no don’t feel sorry for us as it’s going ok so far 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Football is all about heart and soul, ups and downs. All that stuff has now gone for the likes of city and Chelsea. There will be success, but the joy that the likes of Norwich have felt this season will never be experienced by city fans. And that is sad. When success is bought and more problematic EXPECTED, the love has gone.

All the best mate. NBITF.

nick1962
    Free Member

Hasn’t Brendan Roger spent £256 million and won sod all? Makes the money City have splashed look like money well spent 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Was wondering about City Financial Fair Play and spending 50 mil on Sterling

Other than the legal issues, there is another key reason why cash injections from owners will soon be permitted for the break-even test: Man City and PSG (the biggest FFP transgressors) are able to fudge the ‘break-even’ test. Both City and PSG are State-owned clubs and to get round the FFP rules the now write a large number of inflated deals with state-influenced companies.

Great business for Liverpool, they can buy Andy Carroll back now.
    Most expensive British players
    £85.3m – Gareth Bale (Tottenham to Real Madrid, 2013)
    £49m* – Raheem Sterling (Liverpool to Manchester City, 2015) *subject to deal going through
    £35m – Andy Carroll (Newcastle to Liverpool, 2011)
    £30m – Rio Ferdinand (Leeds to Manchester United, 2002)
    £27m – Luke Shaw (Southampton to Manchester United, 2015)
    £27m – Wayne Rooney (Everton to Manchester United, 2004)
    £26m – James Milner (Aston Villa to Manchester City, 2010)

It’s not always the best thing to have a big price tag, sitting on the City Bench won’t get you into the England side.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sorry for the straight rip off but too good not to share

POLICE in Manchester have warned football managers to be vigilant following a daring swindle yesterday.

The swindler, going by the name of ‘Brenda’ and described as short, in his early 40s and almost supernaturally self-confident is thought to have swindled an elderly Chilean in Manchester.

A police spokesman said: “The victim was told he was buying £49m worth of quality goods but on closer inspection it appeared to be a Shaun Wright-Phillips knock-off with no guarantee.

“It’s particularly distressing that this was a vulnerable older gent who just two years ago was cheated out of £25m for a worthless Jovetic.

“There seems to be a rash of these crimes at the moment – down the road at Old Trafford a Dutch pensioner asked us for advice on buying what appears to be German goods five years past its sell-by date.”

The motive for Sunday’s robbery is thought to be malicious as well as financial, with the main suspect previously involved in a Balotelli deal that went badly wrong. The police have warned the public not approach him as he’s believed to be carrying a Lovren.

Other managers have been advised to mark their players with a UV pen and photograph them wearing the club shirt, to prevent them falling into the hands of Aidy Ward.

Logan said: “Sunday’s victim is trying to make the best of things but all too often such goods are sold off two years later for a massive loss. Usually to Harry Redknapp.”

Manchester police hunt Northern Irish con artist

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😀

dirtyrider
    Free Member

at a guess, he’s one of them people that will spend every penny he earns

oh and some stats

loddrik
    Free Member

Doesn’t look like man city fans are too happy about it. I don’t blame them.

MSP

Doesn’t look like man city fans are too happy about it

I am loving it, it is worth the money just to see all the whining from fans from the “chosen” clubs who think they have a divine right to a players heart and soul. The fans who demand loyalty to players but show none, and label players mercenary for leaving to a more successful club.

binners

The Mash nails it

A police spokesman said: “The victim was told he was buying £49m worth of quality goods but on closer inspection it appeared to be a Shaun Wright-Phillips knock-off with no guarantee.

😆

Cletus

As a City fan I am ok with this buy.

He will be an upgrade on Navas and I think he did ok last seaon in what was a pretty poor Liverpool team. He will only improve by playing with Silva, Aguero etc. and will not have a ridiculous burden placed upon him as he did at the dippers.

Yes it is a lot of money but compared with Andy Carroll and De Maria he looks a reasonable buy.

Not sure why people say that City are the most hated team in the country – some skewed reality based upon envy imo.

The scousers had better start accepting that younger players like Sterling just do not see them as a big club any more. Even their last Euro trophy was ten years ago when he was in primary school.

Cannot wait for the whinging if we manage to land Pogba 😆 and looking forward to Brenda wasting the money on some no marks!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not sure why people say that City are the most hated team in the country – some skewed reality based upon envy imo.

From what I posted earlier

Other than the legal issues, there is another key reason why cash injections from owners will soon be permitted for the break-even test: Man City and PSG (the biggest FFP transgressors) are able to fudge the ‘break-even’ test. Both City and PSG are State-owned clubs and to get round the FFP rules the now write a large number of inflated deals with state-influenced companies.

Playing outside the rules, snapping up good players and leaving them to rot on the bench etc.

dragon
    Free Member

Rather than trying to destroy the lad as one of England’s brightest prospects

Oh don’t worry Roy will do that.

As for brightest talents, you what, remind me how well England played at the last World Cup?

If England had any sense they’d be playing Kane up front with Rooney (or Walcott) in behind. I’m struggling to see where Stirling would even fit in the England team.

binners

Fair point. I’m not sure they even qualify as the most hated team in Manchester. And surely any right-thinking human being immediately opts for Cheski as their least favourite team? John Terry is their club captain FFS!!!

Anyway… back to the OP, I’m sure agents all over Europe will be circling to relieve the scousers of all that transfer cash for the next Borini or Ballotelli. Or maybe the lot in one go on the next Andy Carroll 😆

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

A few little questions I have.

What position did stirling play when he was firing on all cylinders behind suarez & Strurridge?

What position did he play most of last season?

If you were a young man who had a fantastic time BEHIND or wide of Suarez & Sturridge would you not feel a bit pessimistic about the future if you then ended up being played instead of Ballotelli & Lambert as the focus of the Liverpool attack?

Is there much sign of Liverpool addressing this situation? Would stirling have found himself as the focal point again which after about 10mins of watching him play at anfield against Leicester you could tell was not his game.

A bit disappointed he didn’t end up going abroad as I think he would flourish away from the PL. But he is going to end up in a front 3 of Aguero, Silva & Stirling. With Toure and co backing them up. Liverpiss would like the financial side to be the main issue but there is a lot of sideshows to this. He hasn’t acted well, city haven’t acted well but Liverpool have been a disgrace and have basically slaughtered a young lad and set the fans and media on him. Shamefull behaviour.

Oh, and on the financial side, its not quite the windfall everyone thinks. £45m fee rising to £49m (Most likely admittedly). £9-10m of that going to QPR, the club Liverpool nicked him off in the first place. That’s right, Liverpool bought someone 80% there and then polished the diamond a bit. The £35m balance can get them andy carroll back 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Must admit I don’t follow football that closely any more but are city really the most hated team in the country? I mean, football has become a grotesque self-parody of everything that’s wrong with our society, and city are probably the ultimate example, but they’ve still got more class/are more entertaining than Chelsea or Man U IMO. 🙂

Re Sterling – if someone doesn’t want to play for the club then let him go. Can’t help feeling his agent will have been largely responsible, massaging his ego to precipitate a big transfer that he gets a massive wedge of. He has a lot of promise but is totally unproven as yet and should have just knuckled down for a few years rather than deciding he’s the big I am already. Sort of a shame to see him go but good business for Liverpool definitely.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Even their last Euro trophy was ten years ago when he was in primary school.

When did City last win the Champions League?

weeksy

This thread shows so so many of the reasons I’ve fallen out of love with football. I was a season ticket holder at Anfield for a decade, going to many many games, trips to Wembley etc. Seeing the greats playing in the late 70’s 80’s and early 90’s….

But the bitterness, hatred and anger in this thread and all other walks of football life have tainted football for me forever. I wear an LFC tattoo on my arm as a show of pride to myself of my birthplace, but the love and passion has dwindled in the past few years with all this football hatred, the money, the attitude etc.

loddrik
    Free Member

Must admit I don’t follow football that closely any more

Yep, me too. Absolutely had enough of the obscene money, managers whinging about referees and incessant tribalism. Which, as above, is on full view on this thread.

This sums it up perfectly….

Even their last Euro trophy was ten years ago when he was in primary school.
    When did City last win the Champions League?

binners

Group hug?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I too have stopped watching as much football as I used to. It used to be a contact sport played with passion, now it’s just a bunch of idiots kicking a ball around and falling over a lot.

binners

I like Charlie Brookers description:

22 millionaires ruining a lawn 😀

Seriously though… if you think that a team like Leeds winning leagues by kicking the shit out of opposing teams in some Somme-esque quagmire is somehow preferable to the pace, skill, and technique presently on display in the premiership, you need to book an appointment to have those rose (or is it sepai?) tinted goggles surgically removed grandad! 😉

Pigface
    Free Member

I am not a footy fan but kind of follow what is going on you cant avoid it really. What is wrong with you people? as said the hatred and nastiness is really sad. Do you actually listen to the words you utter?

One of my best mates supports Manchester United the stuff he comes out with is just weird. He is not alone a colleague is a Liverpool fan and just seems to hate everybody.

49 million quid for a relatively unproven player is just bonkers.

MSP

You should go back and watch it, the product is better than ever.

City, chelksi, and arsenal are incredible teams, utd will probably be back up there as well this season. 2 season ago Liverpool almost stole the show with an incredible front line firing on all cylinders (although you would have hardly realised from the media coverage that city were even better).
    There has never before been this much quality on show and the game is better than it has ever been.

The problem with it is 24 hour news trawling over every detail and editors not filtering out (or at least labelling) the ridiculous biased opinions of ex players now trawling the punditry beat.

weeksy

One of my best mates is a Chelsea fan, another a Utd fan… but I think we’ve all blocked it out and footie rarely comes up in conversation now. It just doesn’t happen.

I wonder if like in many walks of life the Internet is a little responsible now as we see/hear far more peoples ranting than we would have in the past.

But just in this thread with terms like Scum, Dippers etc etc.. it’s just so so disrespectful.

dragon
    Free Member

the product is better than ever

Blurghhh.

Better is subjective though, great skills and fitness yes. But all of world football is now dominated by a few clubs with massive amounts of money, so results are almost a forgone conclusion.

grum
    Free Member

You should go back and watch it, the product is better than ever.

‘the product’

doris5000

This thread shows so so many of the reasons I’ve fallen out of love with football. I was a season ticket holder at Anfield for a decade, going to many many games, trips to Wembley etc. Seeing the greats playing in the late 70’s 80’s and early 90’s….

But the bitterness, hatred and anger in this thread and all other walks of football life have tainted football for me forever. I wear an LFC tattoo on my arm as a show of pride to myself of my birthplace, but the love and passion has dwindled in the past few years with all this football hatred, the money, the attitude etc.

Totally hear that. It’s quite embarrassing to see grown adults sniping at each other like kids in the playground.

As a fan of a lower league team, it’s a much better atmosphere there. (Worse football, obviously, but you can always catch the premier league at the pub later). Give it a try! Especially if you’re feeling nostalgic, some grounds still even have terraces….

weeksy

tempted mate. Swindon is about my closest lower league club.

binners

I’d actually agree with the small club thing. We’ve been going down to watch the mighty Ramsbottom United in the heady heights of the the Evostick League, playing teams from places I’ve never heard of.

You get your tea in proper mugs, pie and peas for a couple of quid, and the banter/running commentarty/abuse from all the old giffers on the tearraces is pure comedy gold.

As far away from 50 million quid transfers as its possible to get 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Last time I was home I was at Newcastle for the win over Everton, the atmosphere was awesome, the mood was great the fans were cheering and the football wasn’t that bad :)* The premiere league has changed, some things for the better some for the worse. It’s a shame the FFP stuff is getting screwed with it could have done a lot to sort out some of the issues. Some people take things too far, other people read too much into some friendly piss taking. There are some stroppy players out there and some bad managers sometimes a bit of both, some of the greedy players are ending up warming the bench then taking a massive pay cut just to get a game – there is a Euro Champs in 2016 some people may be putting themselves to the side by not getting regular football.

*Few days later the manager resigned and started the worst run of form since the last calamity.

In the world of football just be glad you don’t have these 2 in charge

ransos
    Free Member

Rather than trying to destroy the lad as one of England’s brightest prospects like they have with nearly ever other before him the English media should hope he goes to a club where he is content and he fulfills his potential.

With luck, he might even turn up for work.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

hope he goes to a club where he is content and he fulfills his potential.

martinhutch

I’d actually agree with the small club thing. We’ve been going down to watch the mighty Ramsbottom United in the heady heights of the the Evostick League, playing teams from places I’ve never heard of.

You get your tea in proper mugs, pie and peas for a couple of quid, and the banter/running commentarty/abuse from all the old giffers on the tearraces is pure comedy gold.

As far away from 50 million quid transfers as its possible to get

Agreed on that – I haven’t actually been to see City in years.

Took the lad to his first match at the mighty Bratfud City recently. It was a right laugh, and at a rough guess the entire Bradford team was probably assembled for less than a week’s wages for Raheem.

MSP

Great times, my dad wouldn’t let me go to matches when I was younger because he was afraid of all the violence. When I left school and was able to go, I remember getting coins and burning bog rolls thrown at us at both anfield and old trafford, a few later at Oldham we were delayed getting in the ground, a cheer went up inside sounded like we had already scored, so a cheer went up outside, the police didn’t like that and the mounties steamed into the crowd.

Happy memories… wonderful times… jumpers for goalposts….

lemonysam
    Free Member

So, there’s most of the money gone, nice bit of business for Villa: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33557059

bikebouy
    Free Member

I don’t get it, I don’t get why Football Players get paid so much. I don’t understand the logic that’s being used to produce their remuneration, ho it’s calculated, on what basis it’s calculated on, how the ROI interacts with the ROROI nor who signs off these quite astronomical contracts.
    I don’t understand where it started, nor who started it, nor who continues to back it and approve it or support it.

I think it’s quite bonkers and probably due for some total overhaul and restructure of the method and reality based calculations fairly soon I would imagine.

😐

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Sterling goes to Citeh for £49million’ is closed to new replies.