Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Stephen King, Dark Tower, The Stand and associated reading list
  • eulach

Any advice on reading order, preference for old and new versions?
    I bought the Gunslinger new edition 1-4 set and then came across this blog which pretty much says read everything King wrote. (Dark Tower II: Drawing of the Three is one of the best books I’ve read in years). Any thoughts,musings, comments, STW?

schmiken

The last book is frustrating.

However it seems to link into pretty much King ever wrote. The Stand, Salems Lot and Insomnia will help with the later books more than any others. To be fair, they are worth reading just in their own right.

walla24
    Free Member

Nothing particular to add other than I was gutted when I finished reading the Dark Tower series!
    Never really got into anything else from King though…

trusty

I’ve read most of those… Some mentioned are very tenuous from what I can remember. Skip “from a buick 8”, not great and doesn’t add anything. “the mist” is a great short story, but unrelated so I wouldn’t buy the collection just for it.

Cougar

I don’t think King has a reading order. Pick one and go for it.

TBH though, speaking as someone who always enjoyed King, I preferred Dean Koontz. He’s less consistent and has written some bilge, but when he’s on form he utterly demolishes SK. IMHO etc.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

It’s a long time ago, but Bachman books short stories was a good read and Dean Koontz Night Frights (not sure if that’s the title, but the book was based around subliminal messaging an interesting subject matter).

taxi25
    Free Member

The dark tower series references loads of other SK Books along with his own personal autobiography. And some books can be read as stories in there own right. But IMHO It’s best read as a single work. Yes the last book is frustrating but it’s an epic journey well worth taking.

Northwind

I flagged a bit with some of the middle dark tower books- there’s points where it gets pretty stupid, and one of the main characters is (by King’s admission) pretty badly written… But when it’s good, it’s bloody superb.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I was gutted finishing the series as well, mostly from the let down that the last books were.

Started well but in the end it felt rushed.

eulach

Well that sounds promising…
    You’ve put me right off.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Stephen King, Dark Tower, The Stand and associated reading list’ is closed to new replies.