Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Stems are so short now…
  • 6079smithw
    Free Member

Why not make the bar and stem one piece?

akira

Can’t tweak bar position.

tomhoward

No need. Would be gravitationally heavy. <30mm can be achieved a la mondraker.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    shermer75
    Free Member

It’s been done a couple of times, it saves weight but never became popular. As above I guess people like to be able to adjust stuff! 🙂

vincienup
    Free Member

Definitely adjustment. It’s quite important fit-wise being able to roll bars forward, especially for someone that tends to stand in ‘attack’ a lot.

cookeaa

No reason not to, all in one bar/stems are common enough for Road bikes.

The only issue would be covering the various stem length, bar rise and sweep options different people might want with a minimal amount of tooling.

shermer75
    Free Member

No reason not to, all in one bar/stems are common enough for Road bikes.

Are they?

cookeaa

Oh and of course:

cookeaa

Are they?

Yup, tend to be a bit ‘aero’ too…

ndthornton
    Free Member

Bars and stems are made using completely different processes which make sense due to there size, shape and usage. Bars are extruded, at least I imagine they are or some similar process. I imagine stems are cnc machined from billet. I cant think of an obvious way to make the 2 things combined other than making them separate and welding them together…in which case you might as well just bolt them together and still have the flexibility to change them. If you bend or snap your bars you haven’t lost the stem. A combo is probably easier to make in carbon though i’m guessing and would appeal to the weight weenies.

juanghia
    Free Member

Crazy isn’t it, my stems are now as short as 90mm and -15 degrees.

hols2
    Free Member

amedias
    Free Member

I imagine they….

I imagine stems are cnc machined* from billet….

I cant think

I’m sorry but that tickled me, you do a lot of imagining how some things are made, but then can’t think of a way to make them in one piece, Im sure it’s not that funny, but it made me smile 🙂

Most modeer one piece units are carbon and for road bike, whihc given they remove the possibilty for adjustment seems a little odd given how important tweaking position is on the road…

I still have a one piece (welded) Fred Salmon MTB bar/stem in the loft from the 90’s might still be using it if they weren’t so narrow.

*FWIW, some are, many/most are either forged or welded

JoeG
    Free Member
    ndthornton
    Free Member

I’m sorry but that tickled me,

Im not sure why…if you cant make the 2 parts together using one process whats the point in bothering? I said it can be done using carbon. But who wants a welded up bar/stem combo? The photo’s people have posted are proof it looks shite

edhornby

That ritchey one costs 250quid, still interested ?

Or Ali stem for, say, £30 and carbon bars now start around £70 (I got some lovemud ones in a sale for about £45)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Stems are so short now…’ is closed to new replies.