Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Stem tightening query
  • iainc

Don’t know if this is a problem or not – I have an EA70 O/S Stem on marzocchi bomber forks. The steerer is cut correctly to the right height for the spacers and stem etc. To get the stem tight enough I am having to tension the bolts up such that the stem actaully completely ‘closes’ round the steerer – i.e. there is no gap whatsover at the back, betwen the bolt flanges.

I am thinking either the stem is slightly too ‘large’ in it’s steerer hole, or the steerer tube is a touch too narrow in diameter.

Is this a problem, or should I just tighten up and forget ? To do something I would probably have to change the stem to something of a slightly different design, Thomson or similar

Duane…
    Free Member

Try and scav another stem of a mate/lbs and see if that has the same problem 🙂

iainc

might try that, I guess it’s machining tolerances on either the stem or the steerer.

Trimix
    Free Member

If there is no gap and you tighten the bolts up you will just stretch the bolts. They will then fail and you will fall off. The gap is there for a reason.

Dibbs
    Free Member

If there is no gap and you tighten the bolts up you will just stretch the bolts.

or If there is no gap you’ve probably already overtightened the stem and deformed the clamp maybe a torque wrench would be a good idea next time.

iainc

‘probably already overtightened the stem ‘….err, no, ‘cos the reason I have had to tighten it further is that is was loose -)

woody2000

Not a 1″ steerer is it? Marzocchi still make ’em AFAIK

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

1.5′ stem?

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL at “wrong stem/steerer” sugestions, the stem would not clamp at all.

Does sound an odd one though. Take it faces of stem and steerer are clean & free of grease? Bolt threads greased?

matt_outandabout

Can you post a pic up?

andywhit
    Free Member

Sounds like it’s definitely oversized then!

takisawa2

Coke can shim time. If your brave enough.
    I’d get another stem.

iainc

cynic-al – spot on -) ….. and yes, all clean with grease where it should and shouldn’t be.

Wiggle is my friend, Thomson X4 just ordered -)

Thanks all

cynic-al
    Free Member

“grease where it shouldn’t be” ❓ There’s the answer LOL111

iainc

ah, the power of English ! doh……. you know what I meant -)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Stem tightening query’ is closed to new replies.