Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Stem – spaced or slammed?
  • matther01
    Free Member

I tend to follow having 10mm spacer below the stem and 5mm above. Anyone else do the same or do most folks slam theirs?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Bar height is very much a suck-and-see problem for me. Can take a few goes to get the bar, stem and spacer combo just right.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Different on every bike I own. Try it see if you like it, it’s your choice.

oldgit
    Free Member

Spaced or slammed? which one gives the best position, is more comfortable etc that’s the one to go for.

If by spaced or slammed you mean which one looks the cutest, then slammed.

trail_rat
    Free Member

For the living room wall art – slammed

For riding – what ever fits and rides best

bol

As a tall person who generally prefers their frames on the smaller side, I tend to have as many spacers on as the steerer will allow (pre-owned forks) or about 20mm if I’m cutting.

matther01
    Free Member

Sorry…obviously not enough sleep when i posted this. Was actually meaning how much steerer do folks leave excess wise (if any)?

HermanShake
    Free Member

No spare on my road bike, despite the ‘rules’. I need the lift.

10mm spare on my MTB as I recently dropped 5mm and don’t want to revisit “what stem for a steerer tube that’s too short?”

clubber
    Free Member

Enough for one 5mm spacer over the stem on my bikes just to allow fine tuning if I swap stem or need to raise the bar height.

bikeneil
    Free Member

When I see a slammed bike my first thought is that the steerer tube has been cut too short.

jameso

how much steerer do folks leave excess wise (if any)?

5mm on top isn’t a bad idea, means the stem’s fully clamped on the steerer. I have 10mm+ on top of a couple of bikes as I know there are times when a higher bar is be good, or I may use a different bar.

jonba
    Free Member

5mm on top of most of mine so that the stem is 100% clamped. Sometimes 10 as I can’t be bothered to trim off a small amount.

Comfortable position over fashion – none of mine are slammed.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Stem – spaced or slammed?’ is closed to new replies.