Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Stem lengths on main brand bikes
  • richieokeefe1
    Free Member

Just bought a Scott spark in the sale and once again I’m finding the stem length is way off from stock . I’m 5ft8 and bought a medium and the 60mm stem with a 433 mm is too long again . This is not the first time for me as I always buy big name brands and find I swap the stem out at least 10/20mm shorter than stock ! . Am I missing something , they must know what they are doing / designing ?

tomhoward

Personal preference innit? or you have different proportions to the person they sized it for (longer legs, shorter torso/arms)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You are off the norm/point in the proportion chart they worked from?

Your arms are longer than average?

You like different things?

Is the stem too long for the handling or is it the overall length you have a problem with, would you be better on a large with a longer TT and shorter stem?

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

I found the length too long with an Ett of 605mm and 60mm stem . I was wondering if I should of bought a small ? I know bikes are longer now . Quick road test and 10mm shorter stem seems good but the seat on the rails rammed right forward . I could go 40mm and put saddle in the middle of rails but 67 Deg head angle and 40mm stem , hmmm twitchey ? .

hols2
    Free Member

It’s an XC race bike. Being further forward and stretched out with the bars a bit low helps on climbs. For general trail riding, I think most people find shorter stems and higher bars better for descending, I sure do. I just assume that any new bike will need a few bits swapping around, stem being top of the list.

DezB
    Free Member

My Rocky Mountain came with a 60mm (or maybe it’s even 70mm) stem which would be considered long by most magazines er, people, but I find it just fine. I’m not one to follow fashion though 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

Jeepers, hope you don’t get anywhere near mine with 80mm stems!!!

Did you think of asking the bike shop to change it after you’d tried it, or did you just fancy a pointless whinge?

hols2
    Free Member

Jeepers, hope you don’t get anywhere near mine with 80mm stems!!!

Bikes are an inch or so longer than they used to be, so a 60mm stem is what an 80 used to be. I used to run an 80mm stem and 680mm bars on my 26″ Anthem, that was good for long climbs and XC stuff without tricky descents. I swapped it for a 60mm stem and 720mm bars, plus longer forks, and it’s much better on rough descents.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

Not whinging just pointing something out 🙂 I always go for medium bikes in the past . Did a carpark test and seemed ok when buying , it’s not till you do a few hours in the saddle to see how things are .

johnw1984
    Free Member

Scott Spark is anything but twitchy. Mine is on the standard 70mm stem and 720mm bars and It’ll descend anything I’ve done previous on my Stumpjumper and Hightower.

It doesn’t have the same steam rolling effect, but it’s very stable at speed and doesn’t struggle. 67deg head angle is hardly steep for a 100mm bike 🙂

I suppose it all depends on proportions though. I fitted a Hixon bar (760mm / 50mm stem) and it never felt as good.

Other bikes that have been longer though and I’ve been comfortable with 780mm bars and 50mm stem.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

Thanks guys , good valued points . I was just seeing what other people’s thoughts were 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Stem lengths on main brand bikes’ is closed to new replies.