Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Stem length – 50mm or 70mm? XC Full Suss content.
  • PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve been playing on my new Spesh Camber, which descends like an absolute demon so I’ve fitted some Easton Havoc bars to it. The current stem is an 80mm Thomson jobby, which feels a tad long so I plan to replace it with a shorter item.

Will I notice a drop of 10mm or should I go for broke and fit a 50mm stem instead? The bike is pretty long in the top tube, I’d probably go for the shorter option but I don’t want to ruin the handling.

Advice please!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

60mm obviously.

PJM1974
    Free Member

They don’t do a 60mm Thomson…

Northwind

Helpfully, I have a 60mm on mine 😉 Feels about right, I tried 50mm before and it felt a wee bit short, but I’ll give it another crack at some point.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Buy another brand then…

philsimmo
    Free Member

Hard one to answer – you may have to mess around with different lengths (oo-er) before you find the right one. Going from 80mm to 50mm may be a tad aggressive tho

andyl
    Free Member

55mm Haven – that’s what I did when I went to Havoc bars and the 70mm Thomson was too long. Which reminds me, have a 2nd one to put up in the classifieds.

Actually I think they do a Havoc stem in 60mm.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Hmm…I’ve a Thomson post so it’s collars n’ cuffs and all that…but fit is very important.

A 55mm Haven may well be the answer to my question.

andyl
    Free Member

yeah I am quite irritated having a Thomson post with a haven stem and havoc bars. But I figured when I get a dropper the Thomson will be gone…unless I get a Thomson dropper 😕

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Who cares if the post and stem brand don’t match! Bikes are for riding, no? Or for staring at in the car park?

I’d go for 60mm something light, Ritchey etc.

andypaul99
    Free Member

Ive always used an alloy 80mm 6 degree rise/drop FSA stem on my XC bikes for years, absolutely sport on for me and weighs little more than many stems costing 5 times as much.

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/200806407146?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Stem length – 50mm or 70mm? XC Full Suss content.’ is closed to new replies.