Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • steerer/headset interface – whats an acceptable tolerance (hand filing content)
  • BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Not the best picture but was fitting a Columbus Minimal fork and Hope headset this weekend and when the fork was inserted it was binding in about 3 separate planes when I rotated the forks.

Got some calipers on the aluminium insert and there was about a 1/4mm difference between it and a RockShox steerer, not alot but enough to cause issues.

Gentle use of a hand file has sorted the issue and voided the warranty but are such issues common place or is this just a case that Hope are far more precise in their machining than a factory in China?

bencooper
    Free Member

0.25mm is a lot when it comes to headsets – sounds as if the fork hadn’t been faced.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

That’s what I thought. As removing metal was always going to be the solution I felt an tiny file and an hours gentle rubbing/refit/rubbing would be the easiest solution rather than send it back and moan.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘steerer/headset interface – whats an acceptable tolerance (hand filing content)’ is closed to new replies.