Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Steep seat angles – stops you having to bend 90*?
  • deanfbm
    Free Member

Do steep seat angles stop you having to hinge at the hips 90* to get the weight forward?

This question is purely to stop me thinking my 76* SA on my 140mm high anti squat bike is too slack, think I’ve read too many pinkbike reviews.

Would going 78*+ be a game changer?

PS I have the ability to try my bike with 76* and 77*, didnt notice much difference on the steep climbing.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I had a bike with a 78 degree STA, it certainly climbed better than my then trail bike, which had a super slack actual STA. But, it introduced a different issue – a bit squashed up with normal riding as the ETT was significantly different. Puts a lot more pressure on the hands & wrists (which is an issue for me with a past busted up wrist with ongoing issues).

Current bike is 76, and it climbs well still, doesn’t feel so cramped and doesn’t cause me wrist pain. Like everything it can go too far, and for me at least 78 is too much.

I tend to look at actual STA as well, being tall, virtual is pointless for me. On paper some look like they should be fine, and in reality, they are turd.

dc1988

If you’re talking about getting your weight forward when climbing then yes a steep
    STA can help to stop the need to lean right over the bars and sit on the tip of the saddle.

I say “can” help as it’s also reliant on other things like reach and chainstay length.

I have a hardtail with a 77° STA and it climbs incredibly well without needing to lean forward but the 440mm chainstays and 510mm reach mean it’s also hard to manual, swings and roundabouts I guess…

deanfbm
    Free Member

good point dc1988, was also thinking particularly about chainstay length too. Go as steep as you want on sa but if its a short chainstay…

twonks

I have a mk1 Ripmo in large that is a long bike but feel awkward and cramped sat down after riding other bikes with more traditional geometry.

It’s a strange one as it doesn’t take long to adapt to the seated position and off road techy type climbing whilst seated is a bit unnerving until you get used to it. Just stay sat where you are, lean forwards very slightly up steep stuff, and pedal. The bike just goes up with no fuss.

Stood up descending is a completely different affair and the bike then feels very planted and stable. No hint of the cramped feeling when seated.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Steep seat angles – stops you having to bend 90*?’ is closed to new replies.