Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Steel Royal Rumble! T45 Vs 853 Vs 4130 Vs 725 Vs Columbus… you get the idea.
  • IvanDobski
    Free Member

So go on then, how do they "rank" and why?

My new ht is either going to be T45, 4130&true temper or 853,631& chromoly. What would the differences be?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The sticker.
    😉

clubber
    Free Member

A bit of weight and the sticker.

FWIW, my 853 inbred rides exactly the same as standard ones though in theory it should be a bit lighter.

Frame design is more important than the tubing/material in determining how it'll ride.

Vortexracing

Frame design is more important than the tubing/material in determining how it'll ride

spot on.

toys19
    Free Member

Chucky (aka Vortex Racing) – Member

Frame design is more important than the tubing/material in determining how it'll ride

spot on.

+1

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They'r all* the same

*well nearly, 4130 and 520/525 are often made from the same metal (in the same factory in the case of some 520's). 853 has equivalents from all the other manufacturers, ditto 631 and 725. Just a case of picking the right strength/weight/price comprimise for any particular tube.

Cotic's new BFe I think i'm right in saying is a mixture? 853 mountain bike frames have 4130/525/520 rear ends. BMX's have been built (and advertised as such rather than preteding a frame is 853 just because it has a sticker on it) from a mixture forever.

tinsy
    Free Member

This is the most sense I have ever seen on a steel frame debate… 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Good point. Has anyone mentioned pixie dust yet. Or steel 'feel', realness, zing, etc? 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Has anyone mentioned pixie dust yet. Or steel 'feel', realness, zing, etc?

Or where it's welded? Remember a niche American frame JUST HAS TO BE better then a cheap Taiwanese one because it costs 7 times as much, even though the tubes and the angles are identical……

clubber
    Free Member

Very good point. Also if the frame builder has a beard and lives in a hut in the mountain in the states, it has extra pixie dust and rides 6.3x better.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You know it!
    8)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Steel Royal Rumble! T45 Vs 853 Vs 4130 Vs 725 Vs Columbus… you get the idea.’ is closed to new replies.