• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Spud.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Steel roadie itch Volare 853 vs PX N2A
  • coopersport1
    Free Member

So a built up a PX N2A this year for a bit of road racing, great price very stiff fast as you like and can take the power. I’m a big buy 87kg and have been known to make frames flex!

Anyway I love the look of the new Genesis Volare 853 can’t stretch to a 953. Love steel to, Apart from a small weight penalty how do think it would hold up stiffness wise? This needs to be my race bike

Build would be full Ultegra with RS80 50mm’s

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Another one to consider, this one has some fancy tube profiles http://www.condorcycles.com/Condor-Bikes/10650-Condor-Super-Acciaio-Frameset/flypage.tpl.html

velocipede
    Free Member

Definitely the Volare…steel is real and all that!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Not light at 1.92kg for the frame though is it? According to this Volare 853 frameset

coopersport1
    Free Member

I’m expecting that I’m going to give away about 600gms over the PX but the Volare just looks nicer imo

ahwiles
    Free Member

if that 1920g claim is correct, it’s only 100g heavier than my 720 equilibrium.

cheers_drive

For that price I’d get a custom built Rourke or an Enigma Elite.
    The Volaire is heavy too, even for a 853 frame the two above are about 300g less if that matters.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’m an idiot, of course i meant ‘lighter than my equilibrium’.

emanuel
    Free Member

I’d use columbus Life.
    The condor looks ok, but for that price I’d want fillet brazing and custom.
    the bb30 is a minus imho.
    the massive 24mm chainstays on the genesis?wtf?
    There’s TWO sizes of chainstays available from columbus,deda,reynolds
    22mm and 24mm.
    nearly all chainstays are 24mm.
    nice paint but I’d still want fillet brazing and custom for that price.
    44mm headtube with no weight increase?They should try weighing an 1″ 1 1/8″ and 44mm headtube.
    no prizes for guessing how weight magically increases as material increases.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Wall thickness will be different (thinner) on larger headtube diameter surely?

Starley JKS stainless is a claimed 1350g. Volare does look nice, but its 1.5lb heavier than even a basic carbon frame or a decent alu frame.

Surely there are lighter frames that don’t flex that much?

emanuel
    Free Member

flex is more due to diameter,if you’re using spirit it’s not going to flex much,but it’s a thin tube (0.38mm in the centre) so it’s a bit delicate.
    I’d say 1400g is about the minimum you can get a sensible (ie wont’ break) steel frame in a medium size.
    columbus cataogue gives me
    1″ ht 1mm
    1″ ht 1.2mm
    1 1/8 1.1mm
    tapered 1mm
    the 44mm ones are 1mm from memory.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Did you sort a new roadie (853?) Coopersport?

MrSmith
    Free Member

This is nice, custom sizes Columbus spirit and a phat head tube not outrageously priced either.

Can’t wait for mine to be built 8)

aw
    Free Member

I saw the Starley at the bike show…looks really nice!

oldgit
    Free Member

This needs to be my race bike

I would never have bought the bike I race on if I wasn’t racing? Every part was bought with the sole aim of helping me get around as quickly as possible. As soon as the season finishes it goes under a dust sheet, it’s been under the sheet untouched since September.
    I’d love one of those steelys if I needed a bike for just riding real quick.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

What you saying Oldgit – that steel is too heavy to race?

Spud

Also my current itch, have a PX RT-57, love it, did LEJOG on it. But I really want a steel bike. The Condor is lovely, at the NEC bike show I was told by them rather than the Super Accaciao go for the regular one. The stainless is a thing of beauty. Although a custom Rourke too…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Steel roadie itch Volare 853 vs PX N2A’ is closed to new replies.