Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Steel rigid 29er fork
  • td75
    Free Member

Currently collecting parts for my inbred frame. I normally go with a Salsa cromo but I’ve been looking at either a Singular or Surly karate monkey one. An recommendations on a steel fork? Or are they just basically all the same?

core

I’ve got a pair of pipedream forks that have had a hose guide brazed on (their only drawback was they didn’t have one from new) that I could be persuaded to part with?

450mm a-c plenty of steerer.

mtbfix

A thread a while back thought highly of the singular fork.

superstu
    Free Member

I bought the Pace steel fork for my inbred. And being being singletrack I therefore recommend it.

superstu
    Free Member

Just perusing their new website and may be that they no longer have them for sale? Shame as they are (were) lovely. Not used other steel fork other than the one on my brothers karate monkey which is great and has more clearance.

td75
    Free Member

I was just looking on the Pace website as well. They only sell carbon now. I am tempted by the karate monkey, they seem cheap too.

jakd95
    Free Member

I used a fork off a Surly Ogre on my Inbred. At least I think it was from an Ogre, it was the Surly one with about a thousand different bolts and attachment points. The one linked below but with 3 bolts on each leg as well for anything cages.

Surly Fork

While it was good it was also very heavy (~1.2kg)

Does it have to be steel? I swapped to the On One carbon monocoque fork which is great and not massively expensive. It feels nicer to ride and more importantly is ~600g lighter.

On One Carbon Fork

td75
    Free Member

I have looked at the One One monocoque. Does it look weird on an inbred frame?

dawson

Kona P2 fork? – might be worth a look.

letmetalktomark

@ Core … How long is the steerer?

@ Td75 … I have some Tange Charge forks that are new but have been fitted but not ridden that you could have for £30 posted – in black.

Drop me a mail if interested 🙂

takisawa2

Had a few.
    Niner currently, but don’t go paying the new price as the Swift fork is identical, but for a nicer disc mount. They ride identically. Weight is identical. The Niner steel was always reckoned to be 853, but it’s not.
    With a big tyre it’s a nice supple ride.
    The Charge fork looked nice too.
    There was someot on EBay doing them, for about £30-40.
    I was tempted because they were 511mm length, ideal length for me. Like an upright position.

The other one I really liked was the Exotic carbon.
    Nicer ride to the On-One.
    Referring to the On-One of old though, not the monocoque one.

benji
    Free Member

Pace forks do ride very nicely, the carbon I don’t believe is long enough to do service as a 29er fork.

rOcKeTdOg

Singular forks are very comfy, yet laterally stiff for cornering etc. You can get a + version too

td75
    Free Member

I was looking at the Singular forks on the website. It says it has clearance for 29×3″ tyres. I’m assuming I can run a 29+ in the front?

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

I have looked at the One One monocoque. Does it look weird on an inbred frame?

Yes! i think we discussed this a few weeks ago as i still have one for sale if you’re interested…i think i read something that said a bike with one of those forks was like a “squatting dog taking a p1ss…”
    unkind, but a fair point!

ragley with on one fork

Clobber
    Free Member

I’m assuming I can run a 29+ in the front?

Oh yes!

birdage

The singular one is nice but I found the Exotic carbon one more comfortable on the whole. Weirdly I have both for sale, attached to a frame that would work well with them. Blatant I know!

willjones
    Free Member

And even more blatant… I have some steel pace 29er forks, that I could be persuaded to part with for £40 plus postage? They’re in the shed at the mo, but here they are as were on the bike:

Long steerer, good condition but not perfect. Email in profile.

td75
    Free Member

Very interested in the Steel pace forks willjones. Will email you after work.

greyspoke
    Free Member

I would go for a carbon fork, I’ve ridden a couple of steel 29er forks and they are quite noodly. On rougherr stuff I could really notice how much better the bike tracked with a carbon fork (original On-One darbon legs/alloy steerer job) compared to being pinged about the place with the steel ones.

sideshow
    Free Member

I had a singular fork on my inbred. Bent it beyond use within 4 months. Any recommendations for one that’s better at surviving hucks to flat? 😉

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Steel rigid 29er fork’ is closed to new replies.