Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Steel NW chainrings
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

Anyone use the Raceface NW chainring? Need a replacement and tempted by the supposed longevity, even if it is a bit hevaier than a Works alu one. Anyone have any real world experience they care to share?

chiefgrooveguru

The SRAM 11 speed steel one is holding up well, as I’m about to switch to its fourth cassette!

mmannerr

I have two of those RF steel rings, combined ride time is less than 100 hours so it is not time for full review. They hold the chain well, there is no rust and seem to wear ok (e.g. no sign of wear yet) compared to some other NW chainrings.
    Weight must be 2-3 times the AL chainring but I don’t care.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

The one I had seemed to be machined too thin (11 speed). Dropped the chain regularly (on terrain I’ve had no problems on before) from new, without a chain guide and wore out as fast as cheap 9 quid alloy ones I’ve used.

Expensive and shit IME.

Mowgli
    Free Member

They’re not expensive but if the life’s no better than alu, it’s probably not worth the weight penalty. Hmm.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

They’re not expensive

My point is I’ve tried both cheap and branded overpriced ones from when 1x first became mainstream a few years back.

IME there is little to no discernible difference or drastic wear improvements from NW chainrings of the same material type (manufacturing faults aside), that via propitiatory standards, branding and the SRAM corporation throwing it’s legal weight about are worth paying 3 times more for!

chiefgrooveguru

The steel SRAM ones are only £15.

joebristol

Another vote for Steel Sram ones if they fit your cranks. Very cheap / have a great tooth profile in x-sync 2 and easy to fit. They are heavier than the aluminium ones but the life you get out of them is good if weight isn’t an issue.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

My point is I’ve tried both cheap and branded overpriced ones from when 1x first became mainstream a few years back.

IME there is little to no discernible difference or drastic wear improvements from NW chainrings of the same material type (manufacturing faults aside), that via propitiatory standards, branding and the SRAM corporation throwing it’s legal weight about are worth paying 3 times more for!

I think you missed the bit where it’s STEEL n/w chainrings being talked about. Their longevity over ally ones has been proven, regardless of brand. And yeah, the SRAM ones are sub-£15 and great.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

What for cinch cranks?

SRAM threatened various aftermarket NW chainring suppliers with legal action for patent infringement which resulted in price hikes and some brands discontinuing selling them altogether.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I think you missed the bit where it’s STEEL n/w chainrings being talked about

I think you missed where I said same material type.

ajantom

I can give quite a good impression/review of these as about a year ago I fitted two RF cinch cranks (one Turbine and one Aeffect) to 2 bikes within weeks of each other.

The Turbine came with an Alu cinch ring, and the Aeffect was cranks only so I bought a steel RF ring. Both bikes ridden about the same distance in that time (about 1000 miles apiece).

The steel ring is showing a lot less wear than the alu one, but both are currently still going strong, with no chain drop evident in either yet.

By eye I’d give the alu ring another summer and winter of riding.
    The steel ring on the other hand looks hardly worn, apart from paint loss on the teeth.
    It does show a little rust if left after a wet ride (not a problem right now!) But a quick spray with lube and it’s fine.

snaps
    Free Member

Anyone make steel 104mm BCD n/w rings?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Steel NW chainrings’ is closed to new replies.