Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Steel is real demo day…
  • goby

Hi, so i had to canceling going to this event due to stuff at home but wondered if any you you lot went and how you got on? Any fav bikes??
    Was there mention of doing it agian sometime soon?

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

I think they will be doing another but further north. I didn’t demo any bikes, but there were alot of very nice bikes there that day. I love the look of the surlys and stooges.

mboy
    Free Member

Popped along, looked at several bikes in detail, chatted to a few of the builders, bumped into lots of people I knew and generally had a pleasant time.

superfli
    Free Member

I didn’t go to test bikes, just went for the chat and ride. And then I saw the Trillion prime. Wow, gorgeous bike. I have is test ride on the GBU trail. Bloody hell, what a bike! Loved it and was whooping with joy. Now I’m guttedI can’t afford it lol!
    Great day out though 🙂

d3carbon
    Free Member

And then I saw the Trillion prime. Wow, gorgeous bike. I have is test ride on the GBU trail. Bloody hell, what a bike! Loved it and was whooping with joy. Now I’m guttedI can’t afford it lol!
    Great day out though

Wow! £999 for a steel frame only!? That is simply ridiculous!

It’s more than I paid for a titanium Kingdom frame!

Clink

Lots of steel frames go for over £1000, particularly if custom or made in UK.

philxx1975
    Free Member

Wow! £999 for a steel frame only!? That is simply ridiculous!

What was ridiculous was the poor quality of a lot of them , It was like home made central , Starling its really a good job they are getting those made in China as most of the overseas manufactured bikes were the better made out of those on display.

The Trillion was absolutely Gopping especially the large one with its silly seat brace at least they had the sense to let Stand weld them from now on.

kayak23

Yeah I went. Was a brilliant day. One of the dudes we chatted to said they’d defo be making it an annual thing and perhaps adding venues such as a more central Cannock.

Was cool to see and say hello to the makers behind some of the sexiest looking bikes about.

Had a shot on the Trillion. It was a really solid feeling bike with some quality details. Built with intention. Interesting to talk to the staff about it.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/ZVBXhF]Steel is Real demo day, Forest of Dean, October 2017[/url] by Kayak23, on Flickr

Took out a PP Shan No.5.
    I didn’t actually ride it, my mate did. I love my Cotic Rocket and was there for hardtails so wasn’t interested in trying it much. Mate loved it though.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/CPzBWG]Steel is Real demo day, Forest of Dean, October 2017[/url] by Kayak23, on Flickr

Took out the new Shan 27(though my demo slot was cut short by previous guy returning late and mate pissing about with shock settings on his bouncy demo)
    This was the one I wanted to try as I currently have a Shan and an Oka and wanted to see what the slight geometry tweaks felt like.
    Good, as it turned out.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/ZVBGQ4]Steel is Real demo day, Forest of Dean, October 2017[/url] by Kayak23, on Flickr

Tried the Onza Payoff 29er.
    Never ridden a 29er so thought it would feel a bit crazy.
    Got used to it very quick and it was smooth as butter through the jumps. The demo had a long stem on though, but apart from that it was great, and very pretty.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/ZQTVTw]Steel is Real demo day, Forest of Dean, October 2017[/url] by Kayak23, on Flickr

Was cool to meet Damien from Production Privee. Poor bloke had just got off the plane the night before and they’d taken him out to a drum and bass party in Brighton until 6am, so he was struggling a bit. 😀

Brilliant day. Really looking forward to it happening again and hope it gets bigger.
    Have to be more proactive in booking demos next time.
    🙂

tazzymtb

It was a really tip top day organised by a top bunch of lads. I don’t think I had deal with a single dickhead all day, everyone was lovely.

Bike wise there was some lovely stuff, but clearly wasn’t aimed at my riding, 160mm…on a hard tail, super slack? Not for me, but looked great if that’s your thing.

There was also some really nice looking stuff, Stanton, btr full suspension, cotic full suspension.

Was fantastic to see the smiles and enthusiasm of folks coming back in on the test rides*

*sorry if I was like the living dead for the first couple of hours, I was a little bit delicate from the Saturday night

pickle
    Free Member

From the facebook posts it looked like a superb weekend and hats off to the organisers for putting it all on. top notch

tomhoward

I don’t think I had deal with a single dickhead all day

You know what they say, ‘if you can’t spot the dickhead in the room….’

😈 😉

Would def be interested in the event if further north, fancy something a bit left field for my next dandyhorse

tazzymtb

You know what they say, ‘if you can’t spot the dickhead in the room….’

I think it more like **** dont ride stooge so they were all off being gnarr and rad-sic elsewhere. 😀

nasher
    Free Member

What was ridiculous was the poor quality of a lot of them , It was like home made central , Starling its really a good job they are getting those made in China as most of the overseas manufactured bikes were the better made out of those on display.

Are you trying to say starling make their frames in China?

goby

Ah sounds great, shame i missed out but will for sure make it to the next one as be good to chat to the builders and see them all in the metal.
    Good pics kayak23!

AlexSimon

Looks like a great day out.

Good pics here too:
    https://www.wideopenmountainbike.com/2017/10/the-steel-is-real-demo

I would also be interested in a northern version

mindmap3
    Free Member

I was supposed to go but missed it – looked like it was a good day. Wold have been nice to see the Switch 29er in the flesh.

I think the later version of the Trillion looks pretty good, especially now that it’s being welded by a competent company! It’s a lot of money though and is more expensive than the new Ti frame from Sick.

bigblackshed

I went down and had a brilliant day. Lots of nicely made steel bikes to gawk at, loads of great people too. Really friendly event and no hassles.

Had I quick ride on the 20″Stooge with bouncy forks. Absolutely mental! Loved every minute of it. Taz told me to come back with either a grin or abject fear in my eyes! I was hooting like a loon.

It’s now on the shopping list, just whether to go suspension fork straight away or rigid, then buy the bounce later?

I need to talk to Andy @ Stooge for some info on the setup of the bike I rode. In all the excitement I forgot the details.

kayak23

tazzymtb – Member

Ahhhh, I realise that, that was you now. Nice to chat to you and great to have a micro-razz on the Ti Stooge with the truss forks around the car park.
    That thing was awesome 😀

tazzymtb

cheers Kayak23, if you want a proper blast at some point give me a shout.

@bigblackshed I’ve got a front boing test rig with a 29+ 120mm suspension fork getting built next week so there will be a few fork options to go with the Mk3

To be honest the amount of folks came back in on the rigid version cackling like maniacs was awesome, so running with a big stiff frontage (oo-er missus) at first certainly wouldn’t be a disappointment.

tazzymtb

I really fancy a Stanton, just got work out where I can fit one in to the collection

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Steel is real demo day…’ is closed to new replies.