Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Steel hard tail frame with boost 148 rear axel – does it exist?
  • stugus
    Free Member

Afternoon all!
    Looking for the above frame to build up a winter fun bike. Found the BTR ranger fits the bill but at quite a high price. Does anything else fill that criteria? oh needs to be 650b too.

Any suggestions? – oh and happy christmas too 😉

coomber
    Free Member

Pace r127+ if you want plus.

ratherbeintobago

650b or 650b+? Ragley Bigwig apparently boosted for 2017

stugus
    Free Member

Not overly fussed about the whole + stuff if I’m honest.

Did like the look of the shan – i think they’re introducing the boost option for this coming year.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Chromag are going boost on the Wideangle for 2017 as well I believe.

Rosss
    Free Member

It looks like Stantons will be boost soon which looks to include retro fit kits

fettlin

New Cotic Soul is boost rear, price has gone up though.

Fingers crossed the Solaris gets the same treatment (but not the price rise!).

Bigmantrials

Production Privee Shan GT or NS Bikes Eccentric Cromo 2017 are the 2 that I will be deciding between in the coming months. Leaning towards the NS as the reach etc is a little longer.

hatter

Genesis Tarn?

dumbbot
    Free Member

I wonder why the Cotic soul got a boost rear but the Flare didn’t?

kelvin

Because the new version of the Soul is more recent?

I wouldn’t bet against price rises from any brand in 2017.
    And I’m not talking bikes specifically. ANY brand, in any field.

kayla1
    Free Member

Aren’t the Flare Max and Rocket Max both boost?

dumbbot
    Free Member

Yeah, but the 650b Flare is 142×12 and i thought it was supposed to be the Souls sibling bike? Apologies for the hijack I just don’t really understand the boost thing on smaller wheeled bikes.

Well i get the theory(Stiffness, chainline…blahblah)just appears is somewhat random in its application here.

timbur
    Free Member

Jones boost PLUS

shandcycles
    Free Member
    jruk
    Free Member

Watching this one with interest as currently looking for a 29 hardtail with a boost rear end and a decent reach (I ride an xl Aeris with a 486mm reach / 660mm ett).

The Kona Honzo is pretty much there but they’ve been rubbish at replying to me (not a good sign of future service).

The Genesis Tarn looks OK but something isn’t doing it for me, don’t know why.

What I really want is the geometry of the Honzo made by Bird so you get great kit, value and service.

metalheart
    Free Member

New Cotic Soul is boost rear, price has gone up though

Hasn’t the pound dropped 15-20% against (asian) currencies recently? Plus a bolt through axle (& frame alts) are going to cost more. 853 Stantons retail at £600 too…

Fingers crossed the Solaris gets the same treatment (but not the price rise!).

Don’t the Solaris (and BFe) usually follow suit in time? I’d think Solaris and 27.5+ would naturally lead to boost (or 142 bolt through at least). I’d also expect price would match the Soul equivalent if they do though (don’t they always?). I guess it all depends on how much Cotic has to pay at the time of manufacture… 😐

It looks like Stantons will be boost soon which looks to include retro fit kits

Retro boost kits for New Gen Stantons reputed to be on their way in Jan, so Switchback & Sherpa should be options. Well according to Dan on FB at any rate.

Isn’t there a Marin as well? Might be B+ though…

metalheart
    Free Member

Ooo, guess you could add BTR to your list:

The BTR Ranger Evolves For 2017

stugus
    Free Member

Hmm, looking like a soul or a slackline are top of the list so far. The BTR looks great but at £1k its too richy for me.

I’ve an old Dialled alpine that its replacing so some big shoes to fill.

What’s the obsession with boost rear ends?

142 x 12 seems plenty good enough.

shermer75
    Free Member

Surly Karate Monkey 27+/29er now have ‘Gnot-Boost’ drop outs so 135, 142 and 148 all work

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/karate_monkey_27.5

kazafaza
    Free Member

Surly’s new Karate Monkey with Gnot-Boost, also available as a SS..?

Edit: Shermer, hats off to you – beaten by 29sec.!

shermer75
    Free Member

Great minds think alike! 😉

Frameset is £544.99 on Triton Cycles

Link

ratherbeintobago

Bumpity bump.

Spot Rocker is evidently boosted but is also silly money in the U.K.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I have it on good authority that the next batch of Cotic Solaris will be boost back ends with clearance for a 3″ tyre.

ads678

Bugger, I’m waiting for the new solaris to come in, but have non boost wheels to go in it!! I was hoping they would just be bolt thru….. 🙁

jruk
    Free Member

@davewalsh – Ditto. I just wished they’d increased the reach a touch too. Still looking…

shermer75
    Free Member
    J273
    Free Member

Do you guys have any idea when the new solaris is due for release?

davewalsh
    Free Member

Next batch due in 4 weeks.

vincienup
    Free Member

dumbbot – Member
    Yeah, but the 650b Flare is 142×12 and i thought it was supposed to be the Souls sibling bike? Apologies for the hijack I just don’t really understand the boost thing on smaller wheeled bikes.

The Soul is a hardtail and the Flare is based off the Rocket chassis but designed with less travel (130mm). The current Mk2 Solaris is still pretty recent, but it’s bound to pick up the new Soul back end sometime and become a Mk3.

metalheart
    Free Member

@ads678: Boostinator should allow you convert your hub, no? – http://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/boostinator

Lindarets Boostinator: Adapt hubs for Boost Frames

Shouldn’t be a show stopper if the above is true…

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

What’s the obsession with boost rear ends?

I was thinking that…

thepodge
    Free Member

mike-at-dialledbikes – What’s the obsession with boost rear ends?

1, people want the new because they don’t want to be left behind (or grumble about it).

2, means you can shorten the back end by a few mm and we all know that short back ends sell bikes.

ads678

metalheart – do they work with any wheels though or just the ones listed on their site? Cos I don’t have any that are listed!

I’ve a brand new set of wheels bought with the intention of buying a nice frame, with the current one being QR, I thought I was being good buying wheels that could take QR and 142×12, now it seems I’ll need to re dished the rear wheel to suit. And the price will go up for the privilege!!

Looks like the Stanton Sherpa is now top of the list….

metalheart
    Free Member

do they work with any wheels though or just the ones listed on their site?

I’m afraid I don’t know, but if its not listed I’d assume not…

Looks like the Stanton Sherpa is now top of the list….

If the existing Solaris isn’t what floats your boat then the Sherpa is nice…

[cough]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/NxBScb]Sherpa at the Fungle[/url] by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr

[/cough]

NormalMan

davewalsh – Member
    I have it on good authority that the next batch of Cotic Solaris will be boost back ends with clearance for a 3″ tyre

Looking at the ‘product’ page of Cotic this morning I spotted that the bottom part of the page lists past models/no longer in production. The Solaris QR is listed there.

http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/

metalheart
    Free Member

models/no longer in production. The Solaris (QR) is listed there.

Yup, spotted that myself.

Been checking for a site update to arrive as I believe the new shipment is due in the next week or two…

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Steel hard tail frame with boost 148 rear axel – does it exist?’ is closed to new replies.