Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Steel frame rusted through – any way back from this?
  • bob_summers

I noticed some bubbling in the paint around the NDS seat stay/dropout, scraped it off to find the tin worm had been busy. It’s TIG welded Columbus Spirit; what are the chances of getting a new stay put in? (assuming none of the other tubes are rusting through, but it appears to be confined to this one)

clubber
    Free Member

Shouldn’t be an issue. Argos or the equivalent will do it no problem.

bob_summers

Good to hear. I’d send it back to the bloke who made it, but I waited something like 18mths for it to arrive the first time.

damascus
    Free Member

Could you fill it? Maybe try Liquid metal?

Have you flushed the inside with rust preventer? Stop it getting worse

Speshpaul

have a look at the other side as well, i’m guessing there is no drain hole in to the drop.
    new stays shouldn’t be an issue, it migt even braze. depends on how much of a hole forms when the torch goes on it.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Bob, do you know Mikkel from Pyren bikes? He is making custom mtb frames using a welder just outside San Sebastián. Maybe he could get it fixed for you? Drop me a mail and I can introduce you if you don’t already know him. Or get in touch through his website, Pyren Bikes

bencooper
    Free Member

It needs a new seatstay, but that’s no big deal for any decent framebuilder.

Where are you based? If you’re near Glasgow, pop it in here and I can sort it out…

unovolo
    Free Member

looks like its rusted from the inside out, water/moisture pooling on the top of the dropout internally.

Once its sorted I’d either put some Waxoyl or Framesaver in or get whomever repairs it so add a drain hole on the bottom/inside of the seatstay.

haggis1978

Bencooper whereabouts in Glasgow are you?

bencooper
    Free Member

Top end of Switchback Road, Bearsden…

somafunk

Allo Ben, Hope you had a guid Xmas & New Year – if you want to show stw’rs what you can do frame-wise then start a thread and post up some pics when you fit the new downtube to resurrect my Soulcraft.

bencooper
    Free Member

Will do – starting it this week 😉

somafunk

Nae worries ben, i did say absolutely no rush at all and i meant it – nae cash to build it up at the moment so it’s just gonna be hung on the wall for a few months till i get the funds together for a suitable bling build so crack on wi your other work if you like.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Steel frame rusted through – any way back from this?’ is closed to new replies.