Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Steel frame repair help, dropout expert required
  • kimbers

Ok so my 05 lava dome has a crack in the dropout, not sure how long its been like it

used as a 100mile a week comuter, but i do ride a few set of steps , 50cm drops to flat on it as well as off road xc stuff
    its also used to tow the kids in the trailer to nursery

its always been stiff getting a wheel in, like the dropouts are a few mm too narrow, possibly the frame needed to be faced before the sliding dropouts installed?

anyway how easy is that gonna be to weld, would it require a frame builder to replace the dropouts?

crazy idea is to get them modified to accept 142×12 and 650b wheels??

cheers

Junkyard
    Free Member

depends if you want to replace the drop out or weld over the crack
    the later being ok for a commuter bike IMHO

If replacing dropouts a frame builder would be the better option

nemesis
    Free Member

What he said. My (95) Kilauea cracked at the dropout too and I got it fixed at a local car place – they just welded a small plate to it and it’s held for many years since. The likely issue with yours will be whether the metal there is thick enough and whether there’s sufficient clearance for the chain and the sliding dropout.

GeForceJunky

Looks like a steel frame, so I would just grind the paint back and weld both sides of the crack.

PhilO
    Free Member

Angle grinder + cutting disc. Cut through crack to 1/2 the thickness of the dropout. Fill slot with weld. Repeat on other side. Grind as flat as necessary for everything to work (you could make it completely invisible if you’re really fussy!).

kimbers

OK local MOT garage did this for the price of a beer

right off to find some grey hammerite

takisawa2

You’ve got to love steel. 😉

therevokid
    Free Member

🙂 … steel is …. fixable 😉

passtherizla
    Free Member

doesn’t even look bad.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Brazed steel is even better. You can take the frame to bits by melting the joints!

kimbers

tin of auto paint on sale in halfords for a quid………

passtherizla
    Free Member

Mint. Another 9 years would be nice!

alexdudley
    Free Member

Where are you, I’m midlands based and will fix the crack FOC .

kimbers

Cheers Alex, already fixed !

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Steel frame repair help, dropout expert required’ is closed to new replies.