Steel frame paint chips

Home Forum Bike Forum Steel frame paint chips

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Steel frame paint chips
  • I have an old Kona Lava Dome that I’m converting to a commuter. It’s a bike that’s done the rounds, had it since new and ’96 vintage.

I’m sure it’s going to do a good job, but I was looking at the frame today when I was stripping a few parts off it and there sure are a lot of chips in the paint!

The looks don’t concern me, and there’s no rust that I can see. So should I be concerned with the numerous chips? Will rust destroy the frame if I put it back into daily action?

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

It will be absolutely fine! Get on it.

Premier Icon johnhe
    Subscriber

I have a similar question. My Bfe got damaged recently and there is quite a gouge in the paint, and I can see rust now forming. What do I do?

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

johnhe – Member
    I have a similar question. My Bfe got damaged recently and there is quite a gouge in the paint, and I can see rust now forming. What do I do?

ride it

Ro5ey

To stop the elements getting to the bear metal … cover any paint chips with clear nail varnish.

ride it

+1, my commuter has more rust than paint, still sound despite being of undetermined vintage (probably 60’s). Anyone actualy seen a steel frame die from rust? Think about it, the underside of a car gets more of a battering in a single winter than your bike ever will, and it’ll do 10+ years.

I’ve got a few chip son my steel roadie, Was considering just touching up with a little tin of Hummell/airfix? paint….

is that right or wrong, any other options paint wise?

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Go for the industrial look…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Steel frame paint chips’ is closed to new replies.