Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Steel frame help please.
  • jonber1970
    Free Member

Steel hardtail choice.

Hi I’ve been looking at changing my rocklobster frame with one with a slightly longer top tube and a more relaxed head angle as I find the rocklobster steering a little too quick for me.
    (Already have a 120mm stem fitted)
    Have narrowed my search down to three frames; all three frames seemed to be well liked on these forums, all three are sub 5lbs which was one of my criteria and all three have a longer top tube and more relaxed steering.

1) Genesis Latitude 4.7lbs £330
    2) Sanderson Breath 4.6lbs £410
    3) Cotic Soul 4.4lbs £500

These are the weights and the best prices I’ve found so far.

Not much in the weight and geometry but there is quite a large difference in prices.

And finally my questions.

1) How would people compare them?
    2) Is the Cotic worth £170 more than the genesis?

The Cotic and the Genesis have very similar manufacturing and build quality, and the Sanderson apparently has slightly better build finish but are not manufactured using the latest techniques i.e. DBZ, double and triple butted etc.

Any advice suggestions in helping me make my mind up would be appreciated.

Thanks Jon

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You can get breaths a lot less than that. I wouldnt describe it as slack though, it’s really best as a 100mm XC bike, the Soul’s more of a ‘trail’ bike with 120-130mm.

jasonm945
    Free Member

You can get a Sanderson Life for less than £400. I think the quality is as good as the other 2, and they are double butted etc. They are very long in the tt but will quite happily accept 120mm forks.
    What about the Pipedream Scion which is less than those you have looked at, I believe they are also CEN rated for 130mm.

Jay

tomatoevousparlour
    Free Member

I wouldnt say that the Cotic is worth £170 over the genesis (sorry Cy).

I ride a soul and love it, but mate had a simmilar 853 Genesis and it rode as well as the soul.

svalgis
    Free Member

Sorry for butting in, but where can I get a Genesis Latitude?

rob2
    Free Member

I had a Sanderson and it was really nice but they are very long in the tt as mentioned above.

I’ll drop you an email as you can get a new soul for less than 500 from some shops.

jonber1970
    Free Member

Svalgis
    realcycles.com have them for £330 including delivery.

rob2
    Thanks will check my email

tomatoevousparlour
    From what I’ve read on the internet so far, no one who has ridden both the Soul and Genesis have said they could notice any difference in ride quality. So either the Soul is overpriced or the Genesis is underpriced, or maybe a little of both.

jasonm945
    I have only found the Sanderson in 1 place on the internet, any ideas who sells them cheaper?
    Doesn’t mention double butting on their website. Pipedream Scion looks nice I looked at these but from what I remember were over 5lbs which put me off being a fussy bastard and the rocklobster only being 4.25lbs.

thisisnotaspoon
    The majority of people who own a Sanderson say they ride best at 120mm. Not sure how to relate this to head angle as the Sanderson website states that a 480mm fork would give a 69 degree head tube.

Thanks everyone so far for input.

rob2
    Free Member

Jonber – cant find your email address. Can you let me know?

jonber1970
    Free Member

rob2
    can email me on jonbergin1970@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks

verticalclimber
    Free Member

enigma have a ergo st going cheap (well cheaper then normal) in their clearence section might still be there

http://www.enigmabikes.com/clearance.html

bigblackshed

No experience of the frames you’re asking about, although interested to hear about the geared Sanderson’s, but I have a Sanderson Soloist SS with 120mm Revs. Slack enough to inspire downward confidence, steep enough to climb. (Well enough for a SS)

Actually I’m trying to figure out a way to run the Soloist with a rear mech. I’ve already bodged 2 steel replaceable mech hangers on the mill at work. Not giving up just yet.

jonber1970
    Free Member

vertical climber
    very nice looking bike but at £700 abit rich for me.
    They also designed the saracen kili 853 which is a lovely looking bike and can be had at £350 half the price, excellent reviews, but 5lbs heavy.

I know i seem to go on about weight alot but i do like a light frame for my given riding stlye. Not keen on alu though has a jamis and a trek nice light bikes abit dull though, no real character.

People tend to forget that a frame only accounts for about 20% of the weight of a complete bike.

jonber1970
    Free Member

mike-at-dalledbikes

True. I’m probably one of those people who put too much emphasis on weight. I originally had a short list of about 8 bikes all of them highly reviewed including the prince albert, but i had to use some criteria to get the list shorter as i was starting to lose my mind with all the info. By the way Mike what is the weight on the classic?

sv

I found the Life a bit too XC, IMO of course.

iainc

jonber – the rocklobster you are coming from is quite light and as it’s pre CEN testing probably a lot more feedback than some of the frames you are looking at. The upside is that the RL853 frames are getting rare now so an appreciating asset perhaps when you sell. I ride an 06 one and am not looking forward to the day I have to replace it…

jasonm945
    Free Member

jasonm945
    I have only found the Sanderson in 1 place on the internet, any ideas who sells them cheaper?
    Doesn’t mention double butting on their website. Pipedream Scion looks nice I looked at these but from what I remember were over 5lbs which put me off being a fussy bastard and the rocklobster only being 4.25lbs.

You are right I can only find them at Activesport!!!
    As for the scion I enquired at the beginning of the year and have an email from them stating the scion weighs 4.7lbs…
    thebikechain.co.uk have a 16″ Breath in for £199.

Jay

Northwind

Hah, buying from Activesport is enough reason to walk away from that frame.

I’ve not ridden the Pipedream but I’d say the Soul is worth the extra over the Genesis- better detail, better finishing, and personally I reckon better handling. But ymmv on the last. Genesis is still good value though.

jonber1970
    Free Member

iainc

Its abit of a minefield trying to find a replacement. The rocklobster is a great frame, but i have never been at one with the ergo’s and steering.

jasonm945
    Thought the scion was heavier, why dont manufactures display weights more readily?

Anyone have any riding experience of the scion?

Northwind
    Must admit put me off too. Emailed 5 shops today, all came back with exact same price for Life £449, but most would offer the same 10% discount, coincidence? By the way do you work for cotic hehe : )

Northwind

Nah, I am just your generic fanboi 😉

juan
    Free Member

Sobre multi 100-120 mm travel, nice geometry, top blokes owing the company and something nice, yet discret you won’t find in other hardtails 😉

soobalias
    Free Member

By the way Mike what is the weight on the classic?

ooooh ive got a classic, 17″

no idea what the frame weighed tho

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Steel frame help please.’ is closed to new replies.