Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 188 total)
  • Steel City DH 2012
  • pussywillow
    Free Member

Pook – Member
    if its not tech enough for you you should be riding quicker.
    ;o)
    when’s your run fairhurst?
    POSTED 45 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

What an absolute load of shite!!! Thats what all the people say who can’t ride steep tech stuff!

ahwiles
    Free Member

it’s a ‘mini Dh’ – the idea is that it’s a fun course for everyone, even kids (and crap, slow, old people).

it’s only an ickle hill so there’s no need for uplift trucks – you can walk easily to the top in about 15mins.

if you don’t like it, you don’t have to enter.

it’ll be ace fun though…

🙂

these things are hard to measure, but i reckon the new track is a bit harder than last years (which was too hard for Chris Akrigg…)

Tracey

Its also to raise money towards buying the woods back

http://www.grenowoods.com/

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pinhead
    Free Member

good point Ahwiles.

if anything it will be good for the kids.

maybe for the downhiller’s a bit dull eh?

ahwiles
    Free Member

not downhillers who like messing around on bikes.

i know some very good downhill racers who are very excited about the race tomorrow.

it’ll be awesome to watch!

tracknicko
    Free Member

usual cock wavey forum response to how hard tracks are. it isnt that technical, but it inst a CX track

nickhart
    Free Member

from jon at JRA
    [video]http://vimeo.com/39945076[/video]

pussywillow
    Free Member

“tracknicko – Member
    yep. having raced DH for a few years, traveled and worked in the alps for the last 10 years or so”

Yeh I think your doing a lot of willy waving yerself! 😆

pinhead
    Free Member

flat as a pancake with an ok double. 3 times as much pedal strokes in than the full run of Pietermaritzburg..

be good event for the kids i agree.

just my opinion as it is a forum of discussion.

tracknicko
    Free Member

standard forum affair as i said. and i was pointing out stuff was hard rather than easy…

i look forward to seeing you on your CX bike down it.

pussywillow
    Free Member

Trackonick, I won’t be doing it on my cx bike….. road bike more like!!! 😆
    Cos I is awesome to de max! 😉

simonm
    Free Member

Its pissing it down… that may make it a bit harder for ya

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Its good enough for steve peat yet the singletrackers aren’t convinced..

I’ll be there 🙂

pinhead
    Free Member

ts good enough for steve peat yet the singletrackers aren’t convinced..

I’ll be there

bit of publicity for wharncliffe etc

its a health and safety downhill race for the familys.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Wow, yet bad mouthing of peoples effort to do something for the cycling community.

I find the track fun, not the most testing, but fun. Isn’t that what riding is about, fun?

If you’ve got the ability, you can makes it fun. I was making up lines and gaps all the way down the track, i was even making a point of not pedaling (though the double rquired a couple of strokes) and pumping the terrain, i was on friends (who don’t hang about) rear wheels. That was testing, that made it interesting.

Riding is as fun as you make it, if you don’t have the mental creativity or the skill to make the most of something, are you really that good?

I get this from a lot of DHers, always constantly trying to prove how gnar they are, when all they really do is try to get down the hill, head down, the most boring manner possible. A few DHers i’ve come across are normally good at are holding on, monster trucking over rocks and letting their stupid amount of suspension travel do the work for them. Then whinge somewhere isn’t gnar enough when in fact they are overbiked.

pussywillow
    Free Member

“deanfbm – Member
    I get this from a lot of DHers, always constantly trying to prove how gnar they are, when all they really do is try to get down the hill, head down, the most boring manner possible. All DHers are normally good at are holding on, monster trucking over rocks and letting their stupid amount of suspension travel do the work for them. Then whinge somewhere isn’t gnar enough when in fact they are overbiked.”

Absolutly spot on mate.

pinhead
    Free Member

To get down good downhills at pace and speed being fluid and smooth,and getting round the corners requires a great deal of skill through the rough-tech stuff.
    Those who can do that on a hardtail i admire.
    on big bouncy bikes on smooth tracks not so much admiration for it.
    Steep tech i admire also.

thefallguy
    Free Member

With all the rain last night it should make it a bit more ‘interesting’

deanfbm
    Free Member

Actually, i weren’t meant to say “all dhers”, that would be ridiculous.

I was meant to be something like several “dhers” i’ve had conversations with have made a point on commenting whether a track is beneath them, i proceed to ride with them, discover they aren’t all that skilled and all they were doing is willy waving because they’re insecure.

being a DHer is just a badge of gnar a lot of the time. Riding tracks not up to your skill level would dirty the badge.

I must also say i also know a lot of very awesome people who race DH, are very good on a bike, but most importantly enjoy riding bikes, it doesn’t matter what bike it is, what they’re riding, as long as they’re on a bike, they’re having an awesome time.

PS, i guess im a little mad too cos im in a cast, on the race list and can’t race.

pinhead
    Free Member

I must also say i also know a lot of very awesome people who race DH, are very good on a bike,

exactly to ride downhill properly takes some serious skill

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

ive done lots and lots of runs down the greno track on my ht, i rode at taff buggy a couple of weeks ago and i’d say greno is more difficult than taff.

Saying this is a health and safety race for families is pretty silly really and shows you have no idea.

Some of the best in the business will be there and they WILL be trying to win. Like at every dh race ive attended.

pinhead
    Free Member

Saying this is a health and safety race for families

cmon you get what im saying,
    cause i have an idea,

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

I just think rubbishing this race on the account of the gradient is silly. Its a ticky line..

And you won’t see many if any dh bikes there today either so all the ‘overbiked’ comments are out the window too.

pinhead
    Free Member

And you won’t see many if any dh bikes there today either so all the ‘overbiked’ comments are out the window too.

well hopefully theyve learnt from last year not to bring the big bikes eh 😉

hora
    Free Member

Great weather, great atmosphere and fellow spectators today. Nice food and parking spot on.

Thanks to everyone who raced 😀

Northwind

Not going to slag it- if I was closer, I’d have been there for sure, looks a fun track and a great event. It’s just not a downhill race, is all. You wouldn’t do an hour long xc event and call it an endurance race 😉

rupertpostlethwaite
    Free Member

What a marvelous event indeed! Fabulous to see a good mixture of cyclists come together of different sizes and ethnicity! I wanted the jelly baby man to win! 😆

hora
    Free Member

Not read earlier comments but why slag it off? It seems to be an ideal EVENT TO RUB SHOULDERS with ALL types. Some folk want the moon on a stick and will then bitch the moon isn’t white enough or the stick long..

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Some folk want the moon on a stick and will then bitch the moon isn’t white enough or the stick long..

C’mon, fair dos…if you were to actually get the moon on a stick, and it was a bit grubby and the stick too short, I think that’s valid grounds for complaint. If you’re going to go around handing these things out, you’re duty bound to make sure they’re up to scratch…that’s all I’m saying.

pinhead
    Free Member

if you’re going to go around handing these things out, you’re duty bound to make sure they’re up to scratch…

agreed.

dunno if was slagging it off Hora
    just voicing my opinion of it,i did say respect to those who built organised it though.
    maybe next year they will do a downhill run and a seperate run for the kids?

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

that tack will be such good fun when baked!! Props.

Tracey

The rain held off we had a great day out at a very well run event

Loads of spectators cheering every rider on

Katie even got her scar signed by the main man

matthew_h
    Free Member

Cracking day that.

nickhart
    Free Member

Any results up yet?
    I have to say as a punter wandering round with his hound it was a brilliant atmosphere, people chatting and saying hey up now and then.
    Big up to the marshals and their whistle blowing, must be annoying at the end of the day.

hora
    Free Member

Nick which dog do you have? I stroked a few nice uns.

Chew
    Free Member

Good day out. Would have been interesting to see how fast it would have been if it had been dry. Good atmosphere and friendly.

IMG_9072 by matthew.cockerham

IMG_9115 by matthew.cockerham

nickhart
    Free Member

Hey hora, we have a blue and tan border terrier who spent most of the time on his back legs trying to lick passing peeps!

docrobster
    Free Member

It was a great day out, the rain held off and I wasn’t even last! Woop woop!

Pook

I’ve put some photos up here if anyone’s interested. I was sitting in the bottom of the top gap jump and got some ok shots. If you find yourself and want the pic, email me to let me know and I’ll send it through.

http://flic.kr/ps/2d6NR7

hora
    Free Member

Lots of people getting air? Nah That must be a short XC race guys. 😉

BTW I lifted the Cotic Rocket to get an idea of weight.. I’m keeping quiet 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 188 total)

The topic ‘Steel City DH 2012’ is closed to new replies.