Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Steel 29er (rigid?) for £400??
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

Used or new, complete bike for someone who will be riding road, canal and rough (ish) bridle ways

He has a steel rigid now but is yonks old, and eveything is falling apart so it’s new bike time

He likes the feel of steel, but it’s not a deal breaker

Cheers

birney29
    Free Member

I may have a Genesis Fortitude Race for sale. Size medium. Used twice. Looking for 550.

NormalMan
    bonesetter
    Free Member

No, it’s 400 tops thanks anyway

markrtw
    Free Member

I wanted much the same recently but came up with not a lot, so in the end got a Carrera Subway from Halfords for 200 notes. (£229 + 10% off flash sale thing). Its basically their mountain bike frame set up with ridged forks and it goes far better than I expected. Only 26″ wheels though.
    Might be worth a look?

MoreCashThanDash

What made me think clicking on the link to the Ramin was a good idea, after the long lecture about the state of our finances last night? 🙄

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Slightly above budget and not steel but this would be ideal for the riding you describe:

http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/beinn29.html

Second hand then you should get something like an On One Inbred 29er or Charge Cooker for that money if you scour ebay. Karate Monkey if you’re very lucky.

EDIT: That Ramin looks like a killer deal though.

Jamie
    Free Member

I just bought a Ramin One.

It’s ace.

Also, can get 4% off via TCB, and if you have any Clubcard vouchers, you can double them up and turn into Evans vouchers. Ends 31st July.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

I have an unridden 2013 Medium Cannondale SL3 SS 29 er available if you are interested.

Fitted with new Deore 615 Hydraulic brakes.

Regards

Richard

Deveron53
    Free Member

I’ve got a Ridgeback X1 with upgraded cranks (Truvativ Stylo) and cassette/shifters (SRAM 2×10)and an Answer carbon flat bar. That I’ll happily sell you for £400 posted. 19″ frame and it’s a nice British racing green, not the lighter green colour as seen in the adverts.
    Only ridden approx. 8 times, very good condition.
    email in profile, pics on request

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I got a Kona Unit on ebay for £450.

But TBH I think I struck lucky.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Thanks

I see Spesh’sRockhopper is 400 quid new, which I always thought a decent enough ride

Deveron53
    Free Member

Any bike under £500 new will have a terrible suspension fork. Best to get rigid and buy a fork later. Not having suspension means you get much better brakes.
    My X1 has a Project Two style rigid cromo fork. I put a fat tyre on and it’s instantly more ‘suspended’ than it’s suspension forked equivalents.

Kryton57

Pimpmaster Jazz – Member

But TBH I think I struck lucky.

Me too:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/inbred-29er-ss-complete-bike

Loving it.

stufield
    Free Member

I am selling my Cannondale 29er Singlespeed for £400 its a large (frame size), has hydraulic discs, rides perfectly well, only used to pottle around the netherlands on family camping holiday.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Thanks guys, all good suggestions

He doesn’t want SS though (bit of a girl)

I’ll keep checking the classifieds

bonesetter
    Free Member

He went for a Ramin One

It’s arriving today and I’ll check it out over the weekend.

Looks a tidy bike to me

darkcyan
    Free Member

go for the genesis, go for the genesis repeat. offer 500.

Jamie
    Free Member

He went for a Ramin One

Few bods off here have one now, so any questions, just ask.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments

Mate’s had the Ramin now for a few days and I’ve gotten my hands on it and given it a makeover 🙂

Seat post was changed for a lay back as too much weight was over the front/forks. Soon as the bike was anything like down the seat wanted to buck you over the bars

Bars changed for some slightly wider (720) and some rise to get the hands higher

Front tyre goes to a Weirwolf 2.55

He calls it a tour de force, and I’m inclined to agree. Once he had accustomed to the rigid fork and relaxed fully I was pretty impressed what he was doing for a recent rider

The Genesis, while looking good has quite a low fork which I didn’t like – it is called a race bike after all I suppose

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Steel 29er (rigid?) for £400??’ is closed to new replies.