Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Steel 29er HT’s – Solaris, Sherpa, what else to consider?
  • mccraque

Pretty sure  @metalheart is in the money. Mk2 is optimised around a 120mm fork and a little longer. The Max gave it a rear that could take more than a skinny trailblazer 2.8 at the back (it was billed as taking 2.8 but truth be known most 2.8’s  will be tight on a mk2. The new Longshot version n is long and slack. I’ve onky ridden the flaremax but I’m a convert.

If only I didn’t love my mk2 quite so much and the wife didn’t “need” a new bathroom…..

piemonster

@ metalheart here is me rooting for you to complete the collection

he really doesn’t need encouragement

chakaping
    Free Member

Pretty sure   @metalheart is in the money.

He must be to afford so many nice steel hardtails

😉

boxelder

The MAX is a better do it all bike than the MAX Longshot (in my opinion obviously). If you like riding up and along as much as down, try to get a MAX.

There’s also the Sanderson Town Crier at £300 – 27.2mm post though. https://clee-cycles.co.uk/P46003/product

roverpig

If it were my money I think I’d take a look at the Stanton Switch9er 631 as well. Geometry look “interesting”.

kelvin

The MAX is a better do it all bike than the MAX Longshot (in my opinion obviously).

Disagree strongly.

= :87)

mrmoofo

BTW, I will have Gen 2 L frame up for sales by the weekend … I have just bought a FlareMax frame.

To answer the other question on here, I have a 2.8 27.5 on the back.  It fits … just

shinsplints

Stanton were trying to launch a ‘preloved’ frame service a couple of months ago.

it would be worth contacting them to see if they got it sorted.

swanny853

So I suppose that means there is a Mk1.1 and a Mk1.2?

I think there was a 1.0 that had a single batch, came in green and orange, then the 1.1 was more of a running change with a slight tweak to the tubeset that meant they could drop the headtube-downtube reinforcement. That one came in green, blue and duckegg I think. Might have been when they introduced the Small as well.

Mk1.0 with extra welded bits. Pretty sure that makes the 1.1 less metal for your money.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alexleigh/8479240110

For what it’s worth I’ve had a 1.1 for 5 years and until the new longshot one came out the only thing that made me think about changing it was to get stealth dropper routing. Stuck a 2° slackset in it this year and have been rather enjoying it, so that’s another option. I would rather like a longshot though.

swanny853

Also, I think there was an initial prototype with a soul tubeset, that IIRC correctly Cy didn’t think was stiff enough, which I would like to have tried. Possibly a stainless one too?

edit: stainless was a thing of beauty.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/bmTz7b]Shiny Bike[/url] by CoticLtd, on Flickr

Details here- http://www.cotic.co.uk/news/archive2012

benp1

Swanny 853, thanks, what you’re saying makes sense. Mine is duck egg blue, when they dropped the XL size too

Every now and then I think about changing, but in reality that would mean loads of cost as I’d need new wheels etc, all for not a huge amount of REAL benefit

I’m running it rigid at the moment anyway and quite like the way it’s set up. I’m more likely to n-1 my El Mariachi than anything else

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I like my Solaris, it’s one of the Kermit Frog green ones, no idea which version. I built it up as a winter snotter. I ended up drilling a hole in the ST so I could run a stealth dropper, but i’ve basically just ridden it, and enjoyed not having to be precious about a FS all winter.

I’ve robbed it for bits now, and it’s hanging up looking sad as a bare frame now. I’ve probably got 50% of a build so might over time just start putting it back together again. Frustratingly it’s the only non boost bike I have so I can’t share wheels between it and other bikes.

The new Stanton Swtich9er is giving me bad thoughts though.

letmetalktomark

Slight curve ball but bear with me …… A new Chameleon.

I’m a self confessed steel HT Luddite.

I owned for a while a Mk1 Solaris, then went to a Pipedream Skookum then tried a Sherpa.

The Skookum was and still is the most “lively” in steel feeling – lovely frame but very much of its time ….. 2013?

I’ve had my XL Chameleon built for a while now. 29″ wheels and 130mm fork. Of all my modern bikes Inthink it looks just right……for an XL frame 😁 ( it looks the most like what you see in the magazines …. Long(ish), 50mm stem, dropper and not at all gate like!)

The ride is very steel like. On a blind test I would be convinced it was. It’s stiff but not the least bit uncomfortable.

All that said I bought it just before the new Solaris was announced …… If it were now I think it would have been a harder decision but the Chameleon is a lighter frame if that’s a consideration.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The new Stanton Swtich9er is giving me bad thoughts though.

I think it’ll be a Stormer down hill, and too compromised uphill to use a a proper trail bike.

swanny853

Every now and then I think about changing,

Slackset is a relatively cheap way to try some tweaking. I’ve enjoyed it- a little less flicky in the really tight trees (but bear in mind I was running a 55mm stem, so on the sharper end of things already) but a lot calmer on anything fast or steep. Steep and slow is where I noticed it most at first.

Matt-P
    Free Member

Any love for an Orange P7 29, not seen many reviews but might fit the bill?

roverpig

I think it’ll be a Stormer down hill, and too compromised uphill to use a a proper trail bike.

I thought that about my FlareMax before I got it, but it didn’t turn out to be the case. You might be right and of course, everyone’s definition of a “proper” trail bike is slightly different, but I wouldn’t rule it out.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’m basing that on owning a Last Fastforward for 18 months (ish).

BearBack
    Free Member

Any of these long long slack 29/27.5+ steel bikes have internal routing?

Looks like Scott have dropped the slack geo alloy scale plus for 2019 so I might have to go back to steel and cut my lower back some slack 🙂

shinsplints

Curveball – Genesis Tarn 27.5+/29+ compatible, stealth dropper routing, modern geo, cheap right now for frame only !

https://www.biketart.com/bikes-c1/frames-c33/genesis-tarn-frameset-2017-p21139

davros

That is a great price for the tarn frameset. Especially considering you could sell the fork for 100+

I built up a 2018 frame. Love the geometry. The frame is a bit heavy but it’s very comfortable and stable on descents.

biped
    Free Member

The obvious budget option would be an Inbred 29. I’ve had one for a few years now and it’s a great ride, but….tyre clearance is limited, getting half-way decent straight-steerer forks is difficult (eBay or here) and it has a 135 QR rear.

It’s also quite heavy and flexes a lot under power in the larger sizes, but they are very cheap, and if none of the downsides are an issue for you it will make a brilliant all round bike, it handles exceptionally well.

Lots appear on the auction site, leaves you more money for light wheels.

facian
    Free Member

Have you looked at the Ragley Bigwig? Steel 29er/27.5+ and not super-expensive. They have the frames reduced to £350 on Ubyk by the look of it from a quick Google.

I’d personally go for a SolarisMAX, but I already have a new BFe so I might be biased! I like the solid block colours on the Ragley.

crashrash

Another vote for Solaris mk2 – great bike, fun and fast, like the 120mm fork and very capable (certainly more than me!). If you have doubts about the QR have a look at Cy’s blog about it on the Cotic website.

To aid the decision it might depend if you have some bits already. I ended up with the Cotic as I had a dropper and it fits the seat tube! The Stanton is 30.9, Cotic 31.6 – initially struggled to choose but realised would need a new dropper if I went Stanton…….

ticsmon

Ive got an unused  jamis dragonslayer frame I’m selling and maybe some 27 plus wheels. Not as slack as most of the above but probably better for the longer days in the saddle you mentioned. Reynolds steel and sliding drop outs, so it can do single speed as well as 27+/29. Let me know if you’re interested

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Steel 29er HT’s – Solaris, Sherpa, what else to consider?’ is closed to new replies.