• This topic has 64 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by gary.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Steck attacked on Everest
  • peterfile
    Free Member

Crazy stuff

Steck/Griffiths/Moro were attacked by 100 sherpas and had to get off Everest in fear of their lives.

Wonder if this might signal breaking point between sherpas and the sheer volume of climbers tackling the mountain these days.

scotroutes

That story has all the familiar aspects of a STW rant. I’d like to see the tale told from the Sherpa viewpoint.

qwerty
    Free Member

Don’t fek with a Sherpa, especially whilst up a mountain.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Why eve climb the bloody thing? **** show offs why don’t they do something useful like be a nurse or somefink?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Disturbing story.

MrNutt – what a weird comment?

MrNutt
    Free Member

I haven’t even read the story prior to posting a derogatory and ill informed statement of objectionable opinion, do you mean to say I’ve done something wrong?

footflaps

No amount of talking would calm the lead Sherpa Molgrips down and as a final act of defiance he ordered his whole team of 17 Sherpas off the Lhotse Face and back to Camp 2 to overtake on a blind bend.

“We were on STW and were told by TJ to put on our helmets, pack our bags, and run.”

The climbers believe that the lead Sherpa Smurfmatt was tired and cold and felt that his pride had been damaged as the three climbers drivers were moving unroped and much faster to the side of him

peterfile
    Free Member

Why eve climb the bloody thing? **** show offs why don’t they do something useful like be a nurse or somefink?

Ueli Steck is a pretty inspirational person mrnutt. He has (and still is) continually pushed mountaineering forwards, challenging what has previously been thought of as not possible. Given your strong views, can I ask what is it you do for humanity (although I suspect you may have been joking) 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Yet another reason not be bother with climbing Everest. Much better challenges out there unless you are just interested in bragging rights (not talking about Steck here BTW).

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Not wrong necessarily just strange – and stranger still now that you have elaborated. But as peterfile said, I may have missed the joke.

MrNutt
    Free Member

clearly the Sherpa’s didn’t find him very inspiring now did they peterfile, now DID THEY!?!?

MrNutt
    Free Member

yeah, really inspiring, I wonder how people would feel if this happened on a building site down the road from where you live:

three young lads on a holiday

told by local engineers not to play on the dangerous building site that the engineers are actively working on

the three lads then decide to go and play “along side” the building site, despite warnings from the builders

Then the three lads decide to cross the building site that they had been told not to play on, because they know better

The three lads then “accidentally” kicked some debris down on the local engineers whilst shouting “natural hazard”, some of it lands on the local engineers

The local builders then chased the visiting troublemakers away, the holidaymakers get a ride in a helicopter.

yeah, very inspiring, who’s paying for all this??

mugsys_m8

…ermmmmm……

andyha
    Free Member

What about Andy and Frank, are they OK?

hora
    Free Member

For some reason I read this as 100 Lamas attacked them. 😆

Big-Dave
    Free Member

For some reason I read this as 100 Lamas attacked them

I’ve been attacked by a llama. A horde of angry sherpas is nothing in comparison.

BigJohn

I think the climbers had a bit of an altitude problem.

Edukator
    Free Member

220 climbers can’t be wrong. Or can they?

Real climbers climb somewhere else these days.

martinhutch

This from the UKC thread:

Last year Ueli Steck said this in an interview…

“Going to Everest is a different game. It is not real mountaineering but I have to accept the rules. I often had to wait behind the rope-fixers but I would not pass them out of respect for their work”.

Seems to me that the only thing that would get Sherpas really riled is someone disrespecting their work on the mountain – Steck apparently offered to help them fix rope after the rope-crossing incident, was turned down, but then did it anyway. Can’t see that this would get him a friendly reception back in basecamp.

scotroutes

A view from the otehr side..

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2013/04/30/that-everest-brawl-the-sherpas-view

The seeds of the discord were sown on Saturday. Arnette said it had been agreed at a prior meeting at Base Camp that no climbers would attempt to ascend the Lhotse Face to Camp Three on that day as the teams of Sherpas would be fixing ropes for all the climbers, needing concentration on a technical exercise.

Simone Moro was not at the meeting and may have been unaware of the unwritten rule that the Sherpas be left to get on with their job unhindered by other climbers.

Arnette said other western climbers told Moro, Steck and Griffith they should not climb on Saturday, but the trio set out anyway.

chewkw
    Free Member

What’s the point of climbing the mountain? It’s a mountain. FFS! You are suppose to jump off it without a chute … then let the vulture enjoy a free meal.

Or do something else at your door step like try to free dive in to the deepest ocean without pressurise suit …

The Sherpas are protecting their rice bowl knowing you rich western people coming … they see you coming …

konabunny
    Free Member

Seems odd that x dozen Sherpas would simultaneously get pissed off at these guys for no reason. Would reckon the Sherpas have a radically different way of seeing it all.

BigJohn – 😀

hora
    Free Member

“Arnette said other western climbers told Moro, Steck and Griffith they should not climb on Saturday, but the trio set out anyway.”

Arroganc bit them then gave them a kicking

aracer
    Free Member

it had been agreed at a prior meeting at Base Camp that no climbers would attempt to ascend the Lhotse Face to Camp Three on that day as the teams of Sherpas would be fixing ropes for all the climbers, needing concentration on a technical exercise.
    Simone Moro was not at the meeting and may have been unaware of the unwritten rule that the Sherpas be left to get on with their job unhindered by other climbers.

A meeting between those teams employing the services of the Sherpas and the Sherpas. That being all teams other than Steck/Moro/Griffiths presumably. I’m not really sure what such an agreement – which they hadn’t agreed to – had to do with them, given they weren’t employing the Sherpas, but had paid a permit to be on the mountain and wanted to get on with their acclimatisation according to their schedule. I’ve also yet to see anything contradicting the suggestion that they did leave the Sherpas alone to get on with their job – and indeed offered to help them with it (which I should imagine would more than make up for any inconvenience they might have caused).

I don’t believe that really changes the story at all.

epicyclo

Colonialists ignore local rules, surprised by revolting natives.

Such was the history of Empire.

Looks like lesson not learned.

brooess
    Free Member

I’m impressed that anyone had the energy to fight at that altitude!

I doubt we’ll ever know the truth of what happened here. We’ll hear different accounts but the truth will be somewhere in the middle no doubt – possibly just a misunderstanding…

My experience of Sherpas was they were the most generous spirited people I’ve met (and yes I am aware I was providing them with an income…)

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Fixing the route, especially in the ice fall and parts of lotse face, is very dangerous work but it pays. If they climbed past against instructions and this brought down debris, the workers would be livid. It’s all their lives needlessly at risk.

The Sherpas I met in the khumbu are seriously impressive people. Tough, gregarious, adventurous, generous spirited and nails. The press story seems totally inaccurate. This has been my personal experience with journalists – liars and provocateurs for profit.

aracer
    Free Member

For all those defending the Sherpas as peaceful people who wouldn’t hurt a fly, try reading http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2013/04/29/everest-2013-a-time-for-patience/ where other incidents involving them are mentioned.

aracer
    Free Member

Nope – I don’t believe that changes anything either, mikewsmith. At least the previous information we got was first hand – that lot is second hand at best. There’s also an awful lot of economy of truth there – try reading these comments: http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2013/04/30/everest-2013-the-sherpas-viewpoint/#comment-10673. The bit about Simone shouting and swearing makes no sense at all if he wasn’t in some way provoked – maybe by a Sherpa abseiling down onto Ueli as reported previously, something which doesn’t appear to have been contradicted by any other reports. Remember that Ueli was climbing unroped, so could easily have been killed if he’d been knocked off the face, a point which they haven’t made a big deal of.

The telling bit for me though is this:
    “All expedition leaders and Sherpa Sirdars were invited and attended a meeting in Everest base camp to discuss the rope fixing strategy for this season on Everest. At this meeting everyone had a chance to suggest the best strategy and route to safely climb the mountain. The meeting concluded with the nomination of fixing Sherpas (the best available) and the suitable dates to complete the work. It was also agreed at the meeting by all the expedition leaders that nobody would be climbing on the route on these dates except the fixing team. That while these young men were working to fix the route for all expeditions at base camp, no expedition would disrupt or create a distraction for them. Unfortunately, Simone Moro did not attend this meeting, and might not have been aware that this protocol is an unwritten rule on Everest.”

There seems to be an implication that Simone should have attended the meeting – but why should he? The purpose of the meeting was nothing to do with him, so why waste his precious time? It appears to be an unwritten rule for the big commercial expeditions, but they weren’t part of a big commercial expedition. Or is it the case that the big commercial expeditions and their employees think the mountain is theirs and that small groups of elite climbers should wait their turn?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In the end of the day, it’s a big and dangerous place. Simone should probably have know that there would be rope fixing going on at that time of the year – it would be fairly obvious and at least found out what was going on. There seems to be a voluntary ban/abstinence from climbing when this is going on in some places.

Most of the news (as with most of it world wide) is from the viewpoint of the westerner, not much voice is given to the locals there. There is also no way that anyone (in true STW fashion) would be involved in that sort of altercation and speak ill of themselves. First hand reports can be just as biased as others. Sometimes a rational third person can see more clearly what has gone on.

tails
    Free Member

Whatever happened fighting up there is f**king stupid, then stoning the guys later. I imagine it’s not a fun job but acting like that won’t help them.

nedrapier

A bit more from Jon Griffith:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68025

Sometimes a rational third person can see more clearly what has gone on.

Trouble is, the only things anyone can see now are the accounts of those who were there.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Having read the Sherpa view-point & the Jon Griffith letter it seems that the truth is somewhere in-between & someone, possibly both sides, isnt quite telling the truth..

duckman

I get the impression that they are trying to suggest that the three guys were in the wrong for not doing exactly as the increasingly large guiding companies had dictated. Does that mean that if Sherpas are fixing ropes for people clients who want to handrail/jumar all the way up and down, then anybody who has not paid to use the companies services isn’t allowed on the mountain during the windows? The permit system would suggest otherwise.

martinhutch

As someone has mentioned, fixing rope on the Llotse Face is quite a dangerous few days of the season for the Sherpas. It’s commonly requested and accepted among climbers that they be given time and space to do this. How this squares with three independent climbers ending up sharing a belay with the fixing team I don’t know.

Loads doesn’t add up, with some very widely differing statements – Simone Moro getting on the open radio channel and offering to ‘fight’ Sherpas, according to one non-Sherpa source. Bizarre.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Surprised to see this story on the front page of the Sun yesterday! Must have been a slow news day or one of their “journalists” came up with a pun too good to miss.

duckman

I saw that and thought that Moro would be a bit more savvy than to announce his desire for a swedge to all and sundry.

Edit, say there is a weather window, does that mean indy climbers have to sit back because a commercial company is fixing rope for “their” summit day?

peterfile
    Free Member

As someone has mentioned, fixing rope on the Llotse Face is quite a dangerous few days of the season for the Sherpas. It’s commonly requested and accepted among climbers that they be given time and space to do this. How this squares with three independent climbers ending up sharing a belay with the fixing team I don’t know.

The thing is, Russell Brice let a climber (a paying client of his) summit at the same time as the rope fixing sherpas not long ago – the first ascent of the season.

I watched it on the Discovery channel, you even saw the client and his sherpa get tangled up in a mess with the rope fixers at 8,000m.

Seems it’s one rule for the big commercial entities and another for the small guys.

You really do get the feeling that they consider it their mountain at times.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Steck attacked on Everest’ is closed to new replies.