Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Stealing plants
  • Harry_the_Spider

Was driving home today and saw a woman stood outside our house wrestling with a big clump of poppies growing in our front garden. She eventually yanked them out and toddled off down the road, poppies under arm and two dogs in tow.

I parked up and set off to ask her what the **** she was playing at. However, I’ve been having knee issues and was only discharged by the physio this week with the instruction to “TAKE IT EASY!”. A 50m sprint to catch up with her was too much and my knee “let go”, putting me back to where I was last October.

Perp gone. Poppies gone. Knee gone.

T’riffic.

fossy

Should have run her down with the car, cheeky farker.

Drop it on your local facebook page for max effect and the village idiots going mental.

kayak23

You must have gone apoppyplectic with rage.
    Cheeky bint.

fossy

She’ll probably walk the dogs same route every day…..you’ll see them again.

submarined
    Free Member

You should have cursed her through the back alleys (being wary of her throwing a dog in your face)
    I trust when your one went, you rolled over on your back and fired sights into the air?

Poppies? Seriously? They’re like bloody weeds, grow wild all over the shop, why your garden ones?! Tell her to nip up to Coventry, there are thousands of them on the verges and central reservations (Bravo, Cov CC, by the way, they look ace.)

MoreCashThanDash

People are weird, and I’m sorry to hear about your knee, hope it heals quick for you.

matt_outandabout

T’riffid.

FTFY.

Heal quickly.

Houns

Sounds like you need some opiates for your knee pain

(Obvious moron, she should’ve waited until the seed heads appear and just pinched some of them)

MoreCashThanDash

(Obvious moron, she should’ve waited until the seed heads appear and just pinched some of them)

That was my thought

dyna-ti

Wouldnt it have been better to drive along and then get out, or was she moving at 30mph+

muddyjames
    Free Member

In my experience of gardening, poppies are a relentless self seeded weed. Maybe she was trying to help.. – is your patch immaculately manicured or more of a no mow May June and July?

Harry_the_Spider

Wouldnt it have been better to drive along and then get out, or was she moving at 30mph+

On reflection yes.

However, we just pulled up and me and my good lady wife just exchanged incredulous looks before I decided to do something about it, at which time she was heading round the corner. By the time I got there she was gone and then my knee went bang.

Ginned up to the eyeballs now. Hopefully I’ll bet some sleep, bit it is hurting like a bastard.

timba
    Free Member

You’ve unmasked Poppyon and allowed him to escape

timba
    Free Member

She possibly thought that she was doing you a favour; I saw a piece on TV about a visitor to a garden pulling a Euphorbia variety out that many regard as a weed. The owner had carefully cultivated various Euphorbias, including that one, because he liked them 🙂

jaminb
    Free Member

Sorry to hear your pain Harry

I returned home on Wednesday to find the grounds maintenance men had strimmed down five of my hawthorn whips. I have been nurturing them for 2 years on the parkland at the back of my garden. They were over a 1m high and part of a long row so not hard to miss.

binman

Embarrassingly, I strimmed a weed patch in front of a gas distribution box only to find that my neighbours had wild flower seeded it 😳, thistles are wild flowers 🙄.

joshvegas
    Free Member

thistles are wild flowers 🙄.

they are whats more they are fantistic for the wildlife.

I am growing monsters in the garden

kormoran
    Free Member

Plant theft is a growing problem that we need to get to the root of.

There needs to be a police special branch set up to investigate

stingmered

Grow thistles, watch Goldfinches all day long (should be a Chinese proverb that…)

BillMC

I bet you were apoplectic. Have you thought of trying weed for your pain?

footflaps

Near where we used to work, there was some urban gardening, someone planted some shrubs in a random grass verge by an underpass. They were stolen shortly after…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/QPcpwt]Missing: Mrs Popple[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

kormoran
    Free Member

Highway robbery

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

Did you call the police?

RustySpanner

I fail to see how tantric sex will solve this.

It calls for more than frozen sausages too.

Either a coordinated tank attack or just curl one out on her front lawn.

Harry_the_Spider

Everyone that I have spoken to today thinks it is hilarious. The arseholes.

Anyway, gin wore off at 4:00am, so that is when I woke up.

Dickyboy

We had a crappy old planter with fern & some weeds in it stolen* from our front garden the same night as some other people in the village had plants stolen.

* actually just borrowed, coz 18 months later it reappeared, a little worse for wear, but wtf?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Everyone that I have spoken to today thinks it is hilarious. The arseholes.

That’s me then.
    Although I don’t find it actually hilarious, just funny/odd/weird why anyone would nick poppies* from a garden when there’s acres of them in fields that farmers would probably be pleased to see the back of.

*weeds.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Poppies. Opium tea innit. So who’s the worst evilist? Her for wanting to get high, or you, the dealer, growing DRUGS…

Bunnyhop

Cheeky cow.
    Go and wee in her shoes.
    Our large local park has an army of volunteers who work to keep it looking great. Their efforts paid for with donations from us the residents, the money goes on buying plants seeds, maintenance, (not from the council).
    Plants from there getting nicked all the time.

Mend soon.

stevextc
    Free Member

Loads of this on my local FB… not just nicking poppies but potted plants, garden ornaments etc. etc.

Absolutely sod all you can do to stop them unfortunately.

RustySpanner

What’s with all the poppy hate?

Nice bit of colour, breaks up the over manicured look.

Harry_the_Spider

I agree. The stolen ones were interweaved with the hedge and it looked great! Still one clump left, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they were gone now.

Knee is throbbing.

Got a pre-Dan karate course on Sunday that I won’t be fit for. Black Belt pushed back by 6 months at least. :-/

I should have chased her in the bloody car, but then there would have been a thread on flowertheiftrackworld about a lunatic who nearly ran her over.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Bring back carpel punishment. Hanging baskets too good for em

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.