Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • steak – sirloin or rib-eye?
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Just had a lovely rib-eye steak, prefer it to sirloin but couldn’t really tell you why. Rubbed with a pepper mix beforehand, nom nom 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Rib eye is tastier, but can be a bit fatty. Marbling is good, but too much can result in a chewfest.

notlocal
    Free Member

I prefer a ribeye too. There’s more connective tissue and fat, which equals flavour. Mrs prefers a napalm cooked sirloin. It’s like eating the sole of my work boots.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

These had some lovely lean meat around a central lump of fat, fat is needed to flavour the meat though isn’t it?
    Rib-eye definitely sweeter i think.

globalti
    Free Member

Experts say that it’s the bone that makes ribeye tastier. I would say it’s the fat.

grum
    Free Member

As above, ribeye as long as the fat doesn’t dominate.

dannyh
    Free Member

I think I must be a bit of a peasant but my favourite cut is rump.

grum
    Free Member

I like rump too – usually get it for cooking at home as it’s cheap and tasty.

RustySpanner

Rump. 🙂

muddydwarf
    Free Member

For proper peasant stuff i buy cheap stewing steak, done in a slow cooker its fantastically tender.

wiggles
    Free Member

Rib eye ftw

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The secret of a great steak isn’t the cut IME, it’s how it’s cooked. Cheap steak can be great in the right hands. An expensive fillet can be awful.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’m no great cook but a sizzling hot griddle pan & a nice rib-eye are pretty easy together 🙂

joolsburger
    Free Member

Rib eye is good but it’s pricey for what it is and often too fatty, A good rump cooked well does the job for me (Bookers are knocking it out for £10 a kilo). In fact I’ve just had one and with a bit of Berniase and a baked spud.
    Very Nice

hot_fiat

Blagdon farm shop rib eye every time.

For proper peasant stuff i buy cheap stewing steak, done in a slow cooker its fantastically tender.

If you freeze cheap steak at home it tenderises it as the ice crystals break down the tissue.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Sirloin every time

grum
    Free Member

Some good tips on cooking steak on meathead’s website. It’s bbq oriented but still mostly applies – I’ve had good success recently following his methods.

Not being scared to get the pan ridiculously hot is quite important IMO.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I have one of those cast iron griddle pans, stick it on the gas on high and leave it for 4 or 5 min before throwing the steaks in. Even i can do that!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Rump here too! I’m not paying extra for gristle!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sirloin for the gentlemen, and a delicate fillet for the ladies.

On which note, I shall now cross the kitchen and cook the very same!

Drac

This again.

Well for me it’s Fillet, Sirloin and then Rib Eye.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Rib eye every time

corroded
    Free Member

Ribeye. Rump. Sirloin. In that order.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Is Saturday night, at STW, more than any other night, Steak night then?
    A quick minute or so of sizzling then a minute or so claiming your reward from the missus?

colournoise

Rib-eye.

Would go for onglet too, if you could get it easily.

slowoldman

Ribeye. Tasty BECAUSE of the fat.

rewski
    Free Member

Nice bit of skirt for me, cheap and flavoursome.

Pembo
    Free Member

Enjoy Flashy.
    Sat here with a full belly of sirloin from the local butchers. Nice rind of fat which rendered down in the pan while the oven chips (OK let me off that on) were in the oven. Rest the steak while I deglaze the pan with some brandy, throw in the peppercorns, double cream and heat. Pour the sauce into a small jug and get mrs Pembo to serve up including green beans while I wilt some spinach in the frying pan with butter. Final touch was to pour the juices from the rested steak into the peppercorn sauce.

Philby

Ribeye for me.

ElVino

A lot depends on how you like it cooked, if you like your steak rare then rump is very good, rib eye needs to be medium rare at least otherwise you have a raw fat taste, fillet you can do anything to it and it remains tender. sirloin is chewy if you go past medium rare.

Drac

Sauce? Never.

ourmaninthenorth

Sirloin for flavour, fillet for barely touching the pan and cutting with a butter knife.

neilc1881
    Free Member

Sirloin, or rump here. Belted Galloway being the beast of choice, leaner, stunning texture over fattier breeds due to having a second coat and less fat on the surface.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sauce? On steak?
    Ban them immediately.

Steak eaten, now in some sort of dreamland with a bottle of Barrel Aged BORIS The Crusher. Soooooo good!

mike_p
    Free Member

T-bone. Or fore-rib. Meat on the bone just tastes better, pity so few places do it these days! But if only off the bone is available then it’s rib-eye FTW

garthmerenghi
    Free Member

Ribeye every time. It’s got to be really thick cut so you can burn it on the outside but leave it pink in the middle. No more than 5mins in the pan then finish in the oven. Nomnomnomomomnomnom. Burp.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Got sold on rib-eye when the butcher recommended it as they had no sirloin. 42 day aged, inch thick – yum yum

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Fillet by preference these days. Have very fond memories of rump at Berni Inns back in the day though.

TooTall
    Free Member

I’m a new convert to flat iron or butlers’ steak. Pretty damned cheap compared to the prime cuts but far more tasty than it should be. 3 min each side in a smoking pan then left to relax wrapped in foil. You get a very tender steak, rare in the middle, brown outside, slices well and tastes great.

Pembo
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Sauce? On steak?
    Ban them immediately.

It’s a northern thing, you wouldn’t understand 😉 You can keep your Café de Paris butter

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘steak – sirloin or rib-eye?’ is closed to new replies.