Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Staying @ Penderyn – Where are the nearest reasonable trails?
  • jj55

Got a weekend planned staying at Penderyn, any suggestions for a good ride? Good pub! 😕

Cheers!

welshfarmer

The New Inn in Ystradfellte is under new management and was great when we were in there recently. Also a great place to park for a loop of Sarn Helen

http://www.thewaterfallspub.co.uk/

hambl90
    Free Member

Never been in the pub but I’ll 2nd the sarn Helen loop.

hambl90
    Free Member

Your probably not much more than half an hour from afan either.

franksinatra

Nothing useful to add other then Penderyn whisky is really really horrible stuff.

jj55

Thanks all!
    Sorry Frank – but we don’t agree! Only problem is we’ve a tour of the Distillery booked before a ride…. its going to be interesting!

rOcKeTdOg

we’ve a tour of the Distillery

shouldn’t take long, it only looks like one industrial unit from the road

jj55

😕

welshfarmer

Here is the shortish loop I did from Ystradfellte. Should be just the thing to work off a hangover

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/11972628

molgrips
    Free Member

Tons and tons of epic mountain trails, don’t drive to Afan.

jj55

Thanks

timber

Just above the village is the Red Lion, up by the church. Deliver firewood over there and seems pretty good and investing in the place and it’s food.
    Used to deliver to New Inn, Ystradfellte. Locals tell us it has improved a lot with change of owners.

Ride Afan/Glyncorrwg as the natural trails are bogging. Sarn Helen is solid.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ll post something up later.

snaps
    Free Member

We walked into a blazing row between the chef(owner?) & his barman in the new inn a couple of years ago, while doing the waterfall walk – strange place miles from anywhere but good cider!

timber

Snaps – definitely sounds like the previous landlord, never seemed suited to hospitality industry.

Kamakazie

molgrips – Got anything suitable for cyclocross in the same area (in current weather conditions)?

gwaelod
    Free Member

The church manse by the Red Lion was scene of an armed standoff between the shotgun wielding sacked vicar and the bailiffs who’d come to evict him, my mate blundered into it on his Muddy Fox just as armed cops were turning up. Was a few years back mind, but he reckons it was very Tom Sharpe

jj55

😯

gwaelod
    Free Member

Aye..but Muddy Foxes were good in those days. Shows how long ago it was. I had a Raleigh Activator FFS

Nipper99
    Free Member

For cx you’d be better off hitting the forest roads at the top of the Rhigos (nice climb to warm up with)- some nice loops – either left to Llanwono and back or better right with a drop down to the café at Glyncorrwg. Natural trails would be a bit too lumpy for a cx.

doordonot
    Free Member

I was at the New Inn a month ago and it was serving good pub grub with big portions. Hospitality was great and local ales were on tap. And the cake stand … Oh, the cake stand … Full of wonderful things. We weren’t there for mtbing, but did some walking and the ground was saturated. If it’s still like that now, I’d stick to hard pack trails for mtbing.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Top of the rhigos as mentioned, ride in through the windfarm site and do some skyline/blade. I got plenty of routes from there if you want any, just name the amount of miles you want to do.

jj55

Thanks!

ski
    Free Member

There is a great bunk house at the farm just round the corner to the Red Lion, can bunk up to 4, it’s also walking distance to the whiskey distillery which is well worth a visit too

wonnyj
    Free Member

Red Lion is special in a good way.

You can do a nice loop by going down to Pontneddfechan up the riverside footpath, join the sarn helan, up to the brecon mountain centre for a lunchtime cafe stop, then cut across to the taff trail north of the storey arms and make your way back. Good day out.

The trail down to the Dinas Rock, Mellte river carpark is pretty full on in the wet.

welshfarmer

Think I read that the Brecon Mountain centre at Libanus is due to close 🙁

valleydaddy
    Free Member

5 mins down A470 is BikePark Wales or why not do The Gap if you prefer natural stuff

Kamakazie

Seems so welshfarmer. Was up there yesterday and got asked to sign a petition. Car park was pretty full and its not exactly push season so I was surprised to hear it, I’d expect it is petty self sufficient in terms of funds?!

timber

Think BBNPA plan to keep the cafe running as that turns a profit, just looking to close all the Tourist Information Centres. Think they still want the building for office space too.

Although they did ask one of our bosses if they were interested. Doesn’t really fit with our plans though.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Staying @ Penderyn – Where are the nearest reasonable trails?’ is closed to new replies.