Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Statins, advice needed.
  • markrh
    Free Member

Back story first, went to the doctors because of dizziness and it turns out I have high blood pressure so i was prescribed tables for that which have worked and now my blood pressure is where it should be, but results of blood tests show I have elevated cholesterol to (5.5) so now I have a grace period of 3 months to see if my changing my diet will do the trick otherwise they’ll be advising statins. If I didn’t have high blood pressure they wouldn’t advise statins at the level of my cholesterol but if it comes to it and I end up on statins what are the downsides…?
    Over to STW hive mind.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Leg cramps/aches/pain…

Ask for Rouvastatin (expensive but less side effects)

richmars

Been on statins for over a year, zero side effects.

BigJohn

I’m on Atorvastatin, alongside Ramipril and Amlodipine for blood pressure. All low dose.

Neither BP or cholesterol are particularly high but at age 66 and a drinker it’s not a bad idea.

No side effects but apparently taking them at night is better as some statins can cause muscle pain in some patients.

Caher

In 2011 I was found to be as high as 8 at a time I was cycling home from work each day (25 miles) then going running. It was hereditary, so nothing I could have done. I was prescribed Atorvastatin. And no side effects until the last year. Doctor told me to come off them for 5 weeks and so far the aches are easing.
    I have to go back on statins but hopefully different type.

scaredypants

No side effects but apparently taking them at night is better as some statins can cause muscle pain in some patients.

Taken at night because that’s when you make more cholesterol so that’s when the drug works best. Some of them don’t really need to be taken at night as they have long half-lives in the body anyway but “we” tell patients to take ’em at night regardless – minimises confusion, I guess

markrh
    Free Member

Wow Caher, 8 is high! I think mine might be hereditary considering my family history, kind of resigned to ending up on medication but hoping against hope at the same time…

clubby

It’s just a tablet. I’ve been on simvastatin for years with no side effects what so ever. Been a pharmacist over 20 years and have only seen 1 case of severe muscle pain and that went away after treatment stopped. Have also seen a few cases of mild pain but a change to an alternative treatment solved this.

If it is hereditary then no amount of dietary changes will make much difference.

steamtb

It might be worth having a look at your triglyceride / HDL ratio and thinking about the high BP even though you are now taking tablets. You might have underlying insulin resistance / hyperinsulinemia… regardless and if there are possibilities for change, lifestyle modifications can have a very positive impact on your health.

steamtb

And if you want to drop into the rabbit hole of statins properly, read a Statin Nation by Malcolm Kendrick, a GP by trade, but has spent the majority of his working life focusing on cardiovascular disease.

cinnamon_girl

There’ll be at least one person here who will rubbish Dr Kendrick!

steamtb

Im not sure the wiki is helpful, except to demonstrate that disinformation is alive and well, especially when trillions £££ are involved. A group of Drs were chatting about that wiki entry the other day and the utter ridiculousness of it, he must be really annoying those with £££ interest now, other factual stuff has been deleted. Have a read of his work, it’s easy enough to check the evidence and follow the published research studies, he is an intelligent and ethical Dr who has always been happy to debate with his peers. None of this should take away from the message that lifestyle changes can have a very positive impact on your health.

cinnamon_girl

I’ve been reading his blog for years and am certain he’s mentioned Wiki. Also worth reading the comments on his blog where some readers have overhauled their diet with success meaning no statins.

Long may we continue to see such doctors who’re independent thinkers and unafraid to speak out. My favourite “maverick” is Professor David Healy from the psyche world, he writes a fascinating blog.

docrobster
    Free Member

30% reduction in risk of heart attack/stroke. What your cholesterol is isn’t really the issue. What is your cardiovascular risk? This is based on age/sex and other factors like the fact that you’re hypertensive on treatment. It’s a percentage. The higher the percentage the greater the benefit from statins. Nice guidelines are to discuss if >10% and offer if >20%
    Weigh that up against whatever you perceive the negatives to be then make a decision

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Statins, advice needed.’ is closed to new replies.