• This topic has 52 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Mark.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Starting to lose interest in STW
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

I still bike so much on road and off and love the diversity and depth on here, but the “same ten ****” cliche is making anything vaguely interesting on off topic get destroyed by the same bickering few.
    It is starting to become pretty toxic.
    Keep taking my money but I’ll be on other sites for a lot more of my time.
    Yes; could avoid the dodgier threads.
    There again maybe the mods could be curators instead of cops.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Meh

Edit: sorry that probably should have had a winky face for the sake of clarity.

I’ll be on other sites for a lot more of my time.

It’s not exclusive to here I’m afraid, it might take a while to get the fatigue back but that’s more to do with my being able to predict who and how quite so easily.

It’s the same story here, or at the pub, or any other forum. Discussion in any public forum has long since become the art of shouting louder or attacking the other side. Much as I hate to use the term for the vast majority of people life has by and large become an echo chamber, as the world has gotten bigger they’ve been able to converse more with people of the same opinion and less with those who dissent. They’ve simply forgotten how to engage with other points of view. For many of the rest of us the result is we’ve stopped trying.

the-muffin-man

Hang in there – when Labour are in power the world will be lovely again, police with greet you with a cheery smile and doff their caps, petrol will be cheap and we’ll all live off free green energy! There will be nothing else to complain about and we’ll skip down the street! 🤣🤣

But in reality for every toxic thread on here there are x10 good and useful ones.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Please point them out. I dont see any issues here, but I only read the stuff I want to read.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I frequent a few forums for balance, and this one has some of the nicest and most helpful people around.

On the other hand though, it does seem like a magnet for a very vocal bunch of joyless, whiny, puritanical bedwetters who just want to jump over every thread with accusations of some kind of social justice CRIME. They are OFFENDED (on behalf of a third party) . And thus, debate ends here.

But, such is the rich tapestry of life. Just ignore them.

hghg

jekkyl

there’s still some cycling threads now and again!

zippykona

STW just reflects how bitter and divisive this country has become.
    I yearn for a good old handlebar width argument.

MoreCashThanDash

But in reality for every toxic thread on here there are x10 good and useful ones

Very much this

it does seem like a magnet for a very vocal bunch of joyless, whiny, puritanical bedwetters who just want to jump over every thread with accusations of some kind of social justice CRIME. They are OFFENDED (on behalf of a third party)

But not seeing this to be honest. Yes, the same 5-10 **** turn up and derail most of the political threads and jump from thread to thread to wind each other up, which I’m pretty sure breaches the spirit of the rules if not the letter of the law, but I don’t see the professionally offended spoiling the games

onewheelgood

But not seeing this to be honest.

Neither am I. Perhaps some people are just easily triggered.

v7fmp

it is very tiring, but then i am started to find that in general these days.

Its frustrating and can destroy ones own mental wellbeing. I got close to this stage recently and am trying to be more relaxed. I dont look at the news anymore, i am trying to chill out, avoid things that boil my wee, take a breath and move on.

far easier said than done mind.

But i would highly recommend trying to avoid things that bring you down. if its this place, then step back and enjoy the places that do make you smile.

BruceWee

They are OFFENDED (on behalf of a third party)

To be fair, this site has very few first parties to get offended given the overwhelming majority of white heterosexual cisgender men. The few that don’t fit in that category sometimes show up but often don’t stick around.

If you think that means we should be less sensitive then I can only assume you’re quite happy with the current demographic make up and would prefer if it didn’t change.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I never said it bothered me particularly, I have the power to ignore things. I thought that was what the OP was on about. Never mind, as you were.

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Agree with the OP. Its the snobbery thats putting me off. Started noticing it last year when someone started talking about social clubs in a condescending way. Now see it on a lot of threads, and normally the non-bike ones.

The bike knowledge and help on here still makes me drop in on a daily basis. Hopefully that won’t change

chakaping
    Free Member

But not seeing this to be honest. Yes, the same 5-10 **** turn up and derail most of the political threads and jump from thread to thread to wind each other up, which I’m pretty sure breaches the spirit of the rules if not the letter of the law, but I don’t see the professionally offended spoiling the games

Totally agree.

I mean I probably agree with some of our terminal arguers (you know who they are and so do they) on a lot of issues, but it’s still making a lot of the forum crushingly dull.

BruceWee

I never said it bothered me particularly, I have the power to ignore things.

Yeah, I find I regularly refer to people who don’t bother me at all as

joyless, whiny, puritanical bedwetters

Maybe take a break when it all gets to much for you and have a look at the Daily Mail comments section. I hear they’re a joyful bunch there.

jambourgie
    Free Member

To be fair, this site has very few first parties to get offended given the overwhelming majority of white heterosexual cisgender men. The few that don’t fit in that category sometimes show up but often don’t stick around.

Absolute nonsense. How do you know this? Are you the site owner? Have you asked every visitor to provide intimate details regarding who they are? If so, how do you know they’re telling the truth?

If you think that means we should be less sensitive then I can only assume you’re quite happy with the current demographic make up and would prefer if it didn’t change.

What does this even mean? Is it some kind of code? 🙂 if one ignores it or answers incorrectly does that mean they are racist and you claim your £5?

Tbh, it’s exactly this kind of rubbish I was on about 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

This place is way better than others but yes the political stuff isn’t worth getting involved in much.

chakaping
    Free Member

Tbh, it’s exactly this kind of rubbish I was on about

TBF the lad kind-of has a valid point, but is being an insufferable prick about it.

Which is just what I was talking about, funnily enough.

BruceWee

Absolute nonsense. How do you know this? Are you the site owner? Have you asked every visitor to provide intimate details regarding who they are? If so, how do you know they’re telling the truth?

Yes, I’m sure this site’s demographics very closely reflect the make up of the UK as a whole. I mean, it’s obvious that 51% of contributors are women, isn’t it?

What does this even mean? Is it some kind of code?

It means, this place is predominantly white heterosexual male and you’d prefer it if it stayed that way. Or if anyone who wasn’t white heterosexual male would just politely laugh along with your gay jokes or your leching over athletic women. Both these things were very common 10 years ago and personally I’m quite happy it doesn’t happen (as much) anymore.

Or are you just upset because everyone took the piss out of you mercilessly because once you innocently called something ‘PC gone mad’?

Come on, tell us, where did the nasty Social Justice Warrior touch you?

BruceWee

TBF the lad kind-of has a valid point, but is being an insufferable prick about it.

Which is just what I was talking about, funnily enough

Ah, I can see that you’re trying to reduce all the arguing with that well thought out response. Well done.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’m suspecting this is not going to make thread of the week.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

BruceWee well done for providing a perfect example of what the OP was referring to.

Long time lurker and daily visitor here. I hardly ever post on anything at all as while i feel i may have something to add on some threads i fear for getting drowned out or just belittled by some peoples need to be right or just, i don’t know what. but it is getting more noticable and prolific.

(even pointing out BruceWees post had me re-writing this number of times so as to get any point across while questioning whether i should)

Edit: now having seen BWs last two posts i think they are just going out of their way to be antagonistic

chakaping
    Free Member

Ah, I can see that you’re trying to reduce all the arguing with that well thought out response. Well done.

Look at what you posted just before this. Can’t you see you’re behaving like an unpleasant smartarse?

I’d tell you to sod off to Twitter or Reddit, but you’re probably on those at the same time.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m suspecting this is not going to make thread of the week.

Made me lol.

And this kind of comment is why I still come here.

matt_outandabout

I have introduced a policy of posting positive stuff for myself. I don’t always avoid it, but it does help.

I am also avoiding political threads.

BruceWee

BruceWee well done for providing a perfect example of what the OP was referring to.

Thanks.

Like I said, if people don’t think gay jokes or posting pictures of semi-naked women is acceptable here anymore that didn’t become the case by people not calling out the ‘PC gone mad’ brigade every time they poke their head up.

Sorry for ruining your thread eddiebaby. I guess it’s my joyless, whiny, puritanical bedwetter side getting the better of me again.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Daily Mail

Thank you.

I swear some posters have a bulleted list of buzzwords printed next to their screens.

Will generally go something like this:

You’re a racist

You read The Daily Mail. or ‘Daily Fail/Heil’ for extra virtue points.

You like Brexit

You probably vote tory

You are an alt-right gammon

Does your mum know you’re on the computer? 😉

BruceWee

Look at what you posted just before this. Can’t you see you’re behaving like an unpleasant smartarse?

I think you need to go back a couple of posts and see what I was responding to. I tend to respond in the tone of the post I’m responding to.

I’m not a great believer in, ‘When they go low we go high’, I’m afraid.

RustySpanner

eddiebaby
    I still bike so much on road and off and love the diversity and depth on here, but the “same ten ****” cliche is making anything vaguely interesting on off topic get destroyed by the same bickering few.
    It is starting to become pretty toxic.
    Keep taking my money but I’ll be on other sites for a lot more of my time.
    There again maybe the mods could be curators instead of cops.

Have you tried TDPRI by the way?
    Very much an example of the ‘other’ type of moderation, no God, no politics etc. Makes a nice change.

Seriously, which bits are getting you down?

If it’s the Tory bashing, well, it’s always been like that and personally, I like a political debate.

I can’t see anything else to get too wound up about, tbh.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Cheer up BruceWee. It’s Friday, it’s nearly the weekend. The weather’s nice and warm and Glastonbury’s on the telly 🙂

BruceWee

Will generally go something like this:

You’re a racist

You read The Daily Mail. or ‘Daily Fail/Heil’ for extra virtue points.

You like Brexit

You probably vote tory

You are an alt-right gammon

I don’t know how it’s going to go* but if you don’t want people to assume you’ve got Daily Mail leanings then don’t complain about not being able to say all the things you’d like to.

Say what you actually think and defend those views if you get challenged on them.

If you can’t defend them then maybe you should have a long hard look at your views.

*Actually I do know how it’s going to go. I’m off to the pub.

13thfloormonk

I was thinking something similar a few days ago, but it’s easy enough to just look at the bike forum.

I thought an easy way to improve content would be to make it easier to post up pics and routes (yes, allowing direct uploads from phones etc). Even if it was a members only function initially (assuming it might cost STW money to implement).

I for one would be more inclined to post up brief ride reports if it was easier to do, and more pictures of trails and rides can only be a positive right?

jambourgie
    Free Member

It means, this place is predominantly white heterosexual male and you’d prefer it if it stayed that way. Or if anyone who wasn’t white heterosexual male would just politely laugh along with your gay jokes or your leching over athletic women. Both these things were very common 10 years ago and personally I’m quite happy it doesn’t happen (as much) anymore.

Or are you just upset because everyone took the piss out of you mercilessly because once you innocently called something ‘PC gone mad’?

Come on, tell us, where did the nasty Social Justice Warrior touch you?

I think you’re reaching a bit here old chap. Honestly, where did you get all this from? Sounds like you’re reading from a script. Never mind, enjoy the pub 🙂

mtbqwerty

Completely understand where you’re coming from.

I avoid “those” threads like it’s a big jump, and it’s all good. As someone once, if a thread exceeds 4 pages it’s not worth reading.

Let those who want to argue that grass is blue do that, and carry on as you were.

chvck
    Free Member

I used to come on here quite a lot, then didn’t even look at the site at all for a couple of years. When I came back it was mostly still the same people arguing with each other :).

it does seem like a magnet for a very vocal bunch of joyless, whiny, puritanical bedwetters

Just to pick up on this because it gets used a fair bit on here. Who do you think bed wetters actually are? Those with opinions that differ from yours or people with disabilities? I’m not really offended here but neither am I third party. Bed wetting due to chronic disability is a frigging pain I can tell you.

RustySpanner

This place has always been inclusive, accepting and forward thinking, thank god.

I’d much, much rather that than Pistonheads, where they have a very long running thread taking the piss out of those they perceive to be below them socially and economically.
    What a horrible, toxic place THAT is.

piemonster

the political stuff isn’t worth getting involved in much.

Cant argue with that.

tjagain

On the other hand though, it does seem like a magnet for a very vocal bunch of joyless, whiny, puritanical bedwetters

Was the first post to bring the tone down. Sneering dismissive pejorative and frankly unpleasant

Make statements in that tone you will be called out for it

Its also full of far right tropes

redmex
    Free Member

I may be the only one but there seems to be a fair bit of humble bragging on here maybe innocently and very quiet/slow compared to a few years ago but I agree if your views are any different from some on here they can be like a pack of hyenas ripping folk apart

RustySpanner

Which views?

Political?
    Fair game, innit?
    If you’re going to get involved in a political debate then be prepared to defend yourself.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Starting to lose interest in STW’ is closed to new replies.