Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Starting sentence/paragraph/anecdote with the word "so"
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

This has probably been covered, but I’ve only really noticed this last year that people seem to to have started doing this alot. Where’s it originate from? Why do people do it, especially adults!? Usually, whatever follows the word “so” is some boring shite that didn’t need the word so infront of it. It’s worse than people talking up at the end of sentences; that also makes you sounds like a bellend. I bet Shakespeare is turning in his grave 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

So true

scotroutes

So what?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😀 I’m expecting most of the replies that follow will start with the word so.

Just wanna know why people do it really? I see alot of it on here; hopefully someone’ll answer.

wordnumb
    Free Member

SO are you to my thoughts as food to life
    Or as sweet-season’d showers are to the ground;
    And for the peace of you I hold such strife
    As ’twixt a miser and his wealth is found;
    Now proud as an enjoyer, and anon
    Doubting the filching age will steal his treasure;
    Now counting best to be with you alone,
    Then better’d that the world may see my pleasure:
    Sometime, all full with feasting on your sight,
    And by and by clean starved for a look;
    Possessing or pursuing no delight,
    Save what is had or must from you be took.
    Thus do I pine and surfeit day by day,
    Or gluttoning on all, or all away.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

So, you won’t have seen the thread about this a while back then?

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve not really noticed it much on here. It may happen but can’t say I’ve noticed, or at least it doesn’t particulary annoy me.

People constantly starting threads about it does grate a bit though 😈

Drac

“So we grew together like to a double cherry, seeming parted, but yet an union in partition, two lovely berries molded on one stem.”

? William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night’s Dream

gwaelod
    Free Member

its a technique that media training types pass on to the people they are training..Use the word “so” and a brief pause to allow a little thinking time before responding to a question

palmer77
    Free Member

Really?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

wordnumb – Member
    SO are you to my thoughts as food to life
    Or as sweet-season’d showers are to the ground;
    And for the peace of you I hold such strife
    As ’twixt a miser and his wealth is found;
    Now proud as an enjoyer, and anon
    Doubting the filching age will steal his treasure;
    Now counting best to be with you alone,
    Then better’d that the world may see my pleasure:
    Sometime, all full with feasting on your sight,
    And by and by clean starved for a look;
    Possessing or pursuing no delight,
    Save what is had or must from you be took.
    Thus do I pine and surfeit day by day,
    Or gluttoning on all, or all away.

See what I mean? What a load of shite; who wrote that? Ronan Keating?

yunki
    Free Member

NSFW

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MlrPESdDI[/video]

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

gwaelod – Member
    its a technique that media training types pass on to the people they are training..Use the word “so” and a brief pause to allow a little thinking time before responding to a question

IS that right? Now I know who’s to blame. Can’t see the need to say “so” and then pause; why not just pause!?

boblo
    Free Member

How about asking yourself a question and then answering it or a ‘do you know what…. ?’ followed by some shit that might just be insightful to a 3 year old… Great 🙂

Drac

why not just pause!?

Ermmmmm!

cloudnine
    Free Member

So.. about these adverts.

If you use the word so at the start of the title it gets rid of the adverts and stops you getting logged out for 2 whole weeks. You might still have time to edit your title around….

mikey74
    Free Member

IS that right? Now I know who’s to blame. Can’t see the need to say “so” and then pause; why not just pause!?

Because it alerts the other person you are about to say something else?

wordnumb
    Free Member

Dunno, someone posted it in the ‘what tyres for spinning in your grave’ thread.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

mikey74 – Member
    Because it alerts the other person you are about to say something else?

If I’ve asked someone a question, I wouldn’t need alerting to the fact that they’re going to now answer it. I’d just expect them to answer it (or ignore it).

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

wordnumb – Member
    Dunno, someone posted it in the ‘what tyres for spinning in your grave’ thread.

😀

RustySpanner

davidtaylforth – Member
    I’m expecting most of the replies that follow will start with the word so.

So far, so good. 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Given the OP’s description of what normally follows the “So”, he should also have started with “So.”

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    Given the OP’s description of what normally follows the “So”, he should also have started with “So.”

I’m just an honest lad, I’m not trying to jazz up my boring sentences with an enthusiastically spoken “so”

Drac

Well, did you get the answers you expected?

So, has it gone how you thought?

Look I’m not sure you understand the English language develops all the time.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m just an honest lad troll.

There you go.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

OP whining about other people’s use of language and then saying “alot”.

Oh, teh ironing!

mintimperial

This has probably been covered, but I’ve only really noticed this last year that people seem to to have started doing this alot.

Read this.

Also “alot“.

I bet Shakespeare is turning in his grave

As already illustrated, Shakespeare was a one-man walking punk-rock riot of language-mayhem, he wouldn’t give a split infinitive about what word you chose to start a sentence if it made your point in an interesting way.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    OP whining about other people’s use of language and then saying “alot”.

Oh, teh ironing!

thats differernt though

GrahamS

I would imagine that in conversation starting something with “So..” is often used as an indicator that the speaker is about to change subject: “So.. did you see the football last night?”

Since a forum like this is very conversational and every thread is essentially a different topic it’s not surprising that people instinctively use “So”.

There. Sensible answer. Happy?

mikey74
    Free Member

If I’ve asked someone a question, I wouldn’t need alerting to the fact that they’re going to now answer it. I’d just expect them to answer it (or ignore it).

I’ve rarely seen, or heard, it used in direct response to a question. It’s usually when moving the conversation in a different direction. I’ve used it myself when asking a question.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thats differernt though

Know its knot.

GrahamS

That’s a very different context to the one you originally asked about though.

I’d agree that answering a question with “So,” sounds patronising.

toby1

So ….. cool story bro.

I like to use it inject it, hold it a little longer than necessary to intimate that the previous subject was dull, or awkward, usually it isn’t, I’m just a d**k!

yunki
    Free Member

My son is 5 years old and says it at the start of every complicated explanation..

He certainly hasn’t got it from home so I guess he picked it up at school from teachers

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😀

gwaelod
    Free Member

Bad form to just pause before answering apparently..silence sounds dreadful and lasts an eternity on air dahling, so bung in a So 1st, then listener is expecting a pause. At least that’s what luvvy training consultant told me when he was trying to make me sound plausible.

BigJohn

So do you think you can tell heaven from hell?

teasel
    Free Member

So I think BusinessInsider had an article about this:

This is the only example of what the OP is about IMO. In relation to all the other predictable responses, the above is the only inappropriate and inexplicable use of the word.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Starting sentence/paragraph/anecdote with the word "so"’ is closed to new replies.