Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • starting running…
  • zilog6128

“Built up” just means a shoe with a midsole and given that you are not running “barefoot” in its literal sense then your shoe has a midsole.

A lot of shoes marketed as “barefoot” or “minimalist” have a midsole (although it will probably be thinner than a “normal” shoe). For example the Merrell Trail Gloves I run in have a 4mm midsole.

AFAIK it’s the toe-to-heel drop that determines whether a shoe is “minimalist” or not. Out of interest what is the bio-mechanical reasoning behind a larger drop (10mm or more) given that the foot is not shaped that way and running on the heel is not good form?

Can anyone explain the difference between these new fangled minimalist shoes and a pair of Walsh PB’s for me please?

Aside from the Walshes having far gripper tread.
    Not really sure, having never come across them in person. A quick look at their website reveals that some models are lightweight and come with minimal drop, similar to “barefoot” shoes. The first thing I noticed though looking at the Walsh website is all their shoes are banana-shaped, rather than foot-shaped, which struck me as a bit odd!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Can anyone explain the difference between these new fangled minimalist shoes and a pair of Walsh PB’s for me please?

What tend to be considered as ‘proper’ minimalist shoes tend to have a much wider forefoot than Walshes, though it’s yonks since I had a pair, so could be talking cobblers. Also the eva foam seem to blow through pretty quickly on them.
    But mostly they’re too cheap and the wrong shade of blue and yellow.

ahwiles
    Free Member

IanMunro – Member

What tend to be considered as ‘proper’ minimalist shoes tend to have a much wider forefoot than Walshes, though it’s yonks since I had a pair, so could be talking cobblers.

they do a wide-fit option now, i find them very comfy.

(standard Walshes are too narrow for me)

IanMunro
    Free Member

You see that’s where they went wrong. Called it wide fit, rather than bio-optimised minimalism compliance technology.

ahwiles
    Free Member

ah, but they’ve called them ‘ultras’

as in ‘PB Extreme Ultra’!

piemonster

That Norman, he’s on the ball.

Ish

damo2576
    Free Member

Interesting. What about shoes like Newtons which I’ve just started running in? Quite liking them.

miketually
    Free Member

Went for a second run yesterday. Same distance as before, but faster and with less walking. Enjoyed it.

cupra
    Free Member

This:

Plus one for Fell Running

Massive amount of freedom as to where is good to run compared to a bike. I suspect the running naysayers are just rubbish at running.

A great addition to add to your hobbies. Only run on the roads as a last resort though, xc/trail/fell-mountain is the way to go.A great addition to add to your hobbies.

piemonster

http://www.w-o-w.com/ARTICLES/ramsay-round-in-winter/

Bit of Fell Running inspiration for you

mikey74
    Free Member

Bit of Fell Running inspiration for you

Looks like fell walking to me :mrgreen:

piemonster

Aye, but it was a fair way to go.

It seems I’m supporting a summer round of this again this year. I look forward to feeding millions of midge.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Try Orienteering, encourages you to start slow and get faster, gives you something to think about whilst you’re going and as a byproduct it will massively improve your navigation and mapwork which is great for route planning.

I’ve gone from complete non-runner, non-orienteer to regularly running 8km to work and hopefully managing top 5 in our local winter night score league this year.

barkm
    Free Member

Thought I’d add to this, having done my first 5k today.
    This was my second attempt to really get into running, I had an abortive attempt last winter which ended in March with persistent painful shin problems.
    I returned to it in August and built up extremely gradually.
    I used the Couch to 5k program but to be honest I personally think for non-runners, and definitely those overweight, it isn’t suitable. You need to double or even treble the amount of time to build up to 5k in my experience. It’s taken me 6 months to get to this point relatively injury free.

I did get the occasional twinge in my shin, when I did I spent whole evenings with an icepack and a few days off from running and it went completely. Then gradually built up again. Just repeat until legs are strong enough.
    Other big tip is just walk, a lot! My office is 7 miles away, I spent weeks walking that everyday just to get used to being on my feet/legs.
    Staying off tarmac is a given, I do no more than 1 run on pavements each week.
    Be extremely patient, running is brutal, you have to allow the body to get conditioned.

Personally I’ve never bothered with ‘special’ trainers. I know some people swear by them. With exception specific and certain circumstances, most people will be fine with normal trainers. Mine cost me £25 on Amazon, hi-tec somethingorothers, I throw them away once worn out. But each to their own.

I used to run regularly in the Army, and ran several marathons, but that is 15 years ago and I am 4 stone heavier, but today is the furthest I’ve run since those days, and it feels fantastic.

takisawa2

I ran a lot back in my 20’s, did a 36min 10k once. 😯

Twenty years & 4 stone later I have an on/off relationship with running. I’ll have a few months enjoying it then the novelty wears off, so I bike more. I’m not fast though, but I can run happily for over an hour at 10 min mles, & thats what I like about it. My mate finds this hard to accept, that I dont go out to try & get faster every time. Entered a local 10k a few years back. Totally stuffed up before the event, over training – bad prep on the day. It was an absolute nightmare. I just about finished, in 1:10m. Right from the off I was flagging. Wife, kids & family had come along to see me & I after letting them down I swore I’d never do an event again. 🙁

As said, vary your route. Walking is as important as running at first.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve always (on and off) been an off road jogger, claiming I was a XC runner would be exaggerating it a bit, but it’s in my nature to be modest 🙂 . 6 miles XC will take me about 45-60mins depending on fitness levels. Never done any stretching or warm up, I just set off slowly and speed up a bit once the lungs get used to the tempo.

As others have said, I can understand the good practice of warming up and stretching before, but it’s never caused me a problem not doing it. If I’ve had time off, which is often, I’m just very careful with foot placement assuming ankles are weak and ankles/calf muscles need building up, also starting off at less distance, 2 miles, 4 miles, 6 miles etc.

Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘starting running…’ is closed to new replies.