Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Starter suggestions for Christmas dinner?
  • Albanach
    Free Member

I’m on the starter, I don’t arrive home for Christmas until Christmas Eve so ease of cooking is the key. One stipulation is nae shell fish. the starter will be a warm up to roast lamb. Any suggestions please?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Alcohol and a selection box hits the preparation thingy.

Tend to do soup as it can just be left and time easily altered depending on the rest of the stuff.

jota180
    Free Member

Something with goat’s cheese maybe?

Coyote
    Free Member

How many you got coming? If it’s a few and you’ve got kids then we’ve done canapes the last couple of years. Everyone arrives, glass of champers to greet. Kids pass round the canapes, I sort lunch. Makes it much less stressful than trying to get starters and Christmas lunch all ready together.

Albanach
    Free Member

5 adults 1 6 year old. We always do soup so looking for something different.

househusband

Black pudding served over sliced apple with honey & mustard dressing.

ton

i am making some homemade chicken liver pate.
    that gorgeous black girl made some on the tv the other night.
    looked ace…… 😀

Albanach
    Free Member

Is the sliced apple raw?

ton that’s on the shortlist!

househusband

Is the sliced apple raw?

Yup!

thomthumb
    Free Member

half a kilo of toblerone & some bucks fizz for me. 🙂

higgo
    Free Member

Smoked salmon blini with horseradish

steveoath
    Free Member

We had this last year and its a piece of piss to make, at tastes ace! Made it several times since.

csb

Err, is the shellfish issue because of pregnancy? If so, the salmon and pate ideas (my favourite is salmon btw) might be out too.

NZCol

Pan fried Haloumi with warmed pears, walnuts and honey dressing, or actually as you are having lamb you could do a citrus haloumi thing
    black pudding with diced quality bacon lardons on steeped apples and a whisky cream drizzle

Personally we’re having as many scallops as i can dredge the day before, 2 crayfish, smoked salmon and mini prawn cocktails. Then a side of sirloin, a butterflied lamb leg and venison mcwellington (venison loin wrapped in haggis in pastry)

Bez

Goat’s cheese and fresh fig salad with a drizzle of honey. Takes five minutes, tastes sublime.

irelanst
    Free Member

NZCol, any room for a little one at your table?

We normally have seafood, scallops or lobster, I think we’re having some goats cheese concoction this year.

properbikeco
    Free Member

buttered wholemeal loaf with continental meats, simple side salad and lemon

no prep at all expect plating up

cynic-al
    Free Member

That Iceland range looks pretty good.

NZCol

Always room – usual outside dinner beside the spa pool with the fire going 😉

BigJohn

If you’re (or somebody is) cooking a full christmas dinner for a load of folk it all gets a bit hectic and the last thing you need is to have to put it on hold for a starter.

And normally there’s far too much food on the table anyway.

Just make sure there’s a big bag of kettle crisps next to the champagne in the kitchen and everybody will be happy to go and nibble and sip and help to get it all ready.

jamiep
    Free Member

I’ve never understood having starters at xmas – it would use up value stomach space for roast potatoes

Albanach
    Free Member

Shell fish are a no due to a pesky sibling’s allergy…

Chicken liver pate and black pudding with apple are the favourites…keep them coming though.

househusband

If you can try and get hold of Stornoway black pudding – and don’t forget the dressing!

trail_rat
    Free Member

“If you can try and get hold of Stornoway black pudding – and don’t forget the dressing!”

This ! Makesball other black pud tast crap

Albanach
    Free Member

If you can try and get hold of Stornoway black pudding – and don’t forget the dressing!

That should be nae bother. Any particular type of apple? Big fan of Braeburns myself!

lunge

Black pudding, pea purée, rocket and a honey and mustard dressing. The purée is so easy and can be done well in advance.
    Baby leeks with some kind of bread, a poached egg and a warm mustard sauce.
    Tartiflette, very small amounts with a bit of salad. You can chuck it in the oven with the turkey.
    An itlaian platter, lots of salami, cured meats, mozzarella, olives, sun dried tomatoes. Can be made days before on a bug plate and you just ask people to help themselves.

Albanach
    Free Member

Good shout lunge on the pea purée-cheeky bit of mint thrown in?

samuri
    Free Member

Plenty of wine and beer with some assorted pick’n’mix should do the trick nicely.

If the queen is coming round and you insist on pushing the boat out then I guess you could stretch to some cheesy nibbles. Maybe some pineapple and cheese squares on cocktail sticks pushing into a cabbage wrapped in tinfoil. That’s not free advice by the way, party planners would charge you a fortune for that information.

passtherizla
    Free Member

scallop and black pudding tower things… my dad is ace at them. and he is off to collect the scallops personally from the ocean floor just off heather island.

br
    Free Member

We don’t have a starter, but feed up on a late breakfast of smoked salmon, scrambled eggs and toast – washed down with Bucks Fizz.

jon1973
    Free Member

Starter for Chritmas dinner for us is fried scallops and bacon lardons on a bed of rocket salad.

lunge

Albanach, mint to taste, I don’t as I like the sweetness of the peas and the richness of the butter without it but you can certainly do so if you so desire.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Starter suggestions for Christmas dinner?’ is closed to new replies.