• This topic has 71 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Starling Murmur – Experiences?
  • coomber
    Free Member

Interesting… do the new frames not use metric shocks?

richa109

I posted already but here’s a repeat. There’s a pic already on here.
    Red front/ Matt black rear
    460 reach
    64HA
    430 ST
    110 HTL
    Use a 40MM stem
    170MM forks
    normal 142MM rear axle
    no chain device BB thingy (ISCG)
    I’m 5’8″ (173mm)
    I wanted to use an oval ring but couldn’t get it to fit
    I’ve got an Ohlins 216mmX63mm shock

tmb467
    Free Member

Mine was an early Swoop – photos are on Joe’s site somewhere (it’s the dark blue / orange one now with matching fork decals)

HA 66deg
    ST 410mm
    DT 712mm
    HT 110mm
    440mm reach
    Forks fox 36 160 mm (549mm a-c)

I started with a 35mm stem, 810mm bars and went down to 50mm stem / 800mm bars (tho the new stem / bars raised the position somewhat

Mojo then added 20mm to the forks a-c and increased travel from 160 – 165mm so I dropped the stem 15mm to compensate. I also added an offset bush and I’ve got a -2 deg angleset to play with at some point

So truth be told, I don’t actually know what my reach and HA are now. Just that it doesn’t matter cos it works fine

Shock is 216 x 63 Fox X2

mboy
    Free Member

Mines on order… but this thread is useless with out geometry spec!

Mine’s an early Murmur frame, belonged to somebody else before they traded in for a longer/lower/slacker I believe… They didn’t have it long mind, and it now has a fresh paint job.

Crucial numbers with a 160mm fork are 65HA, 460mm reach, 440mm seat tube, 74.5SA I believe. Though I’ll probably run with 150mm forks which will probably mean 65.5HA and 75SA. Which is fine as I want more of a trail bike feel than out and out Enduro sled anyway…

tmb467
    Free Member

Saw your post on SIR Facebook page – thought I recognised the name (I bought your old Lyrics off you in the summer for my HT)

Good to see you join the Starling murmuration 😉

Btw – for earlier poster, I’m 5’8”

frood
    Free Member

Murmor. 470 reach, 63HA, 160 fork, 35mm stem and 820 bars. I’m 5’10” could probably have added a bit more reach with the stack height as it is but absolutely loving it

PH1

My Murmur is great, it’s the kind of bike that needs to be ridden fast to get it’s full potential. A ride in the carpark won’t do it justice. It took me a good month to get familiar with it. I’m 5’11 and went for 480 reach, 440 seat tube and 65ha..I think with a 150 fork.

Speeder

mboy – Member

Not long now my pretty! Not long now…

What colour is that mboy? I always wanted muine Cadbury purple but they couldn’t apparently get a match in the powder and that looks pretty close.

phutphutend

Gary, sorry my powdercoated decided to give a canday a go, but it’s been a bit tricky!

chakaping
    Free Member

Like the purple frame.

Thread needs more pics though.

Speeder

phutphutend – Member
    Gary, sorry my powdercoated decided to give a canday a go, but it’s been a bit tricky!

No worries. When mine gets too battered I’ll have it done local. The guy that’s going to do our first run of BMXs has got quite a wide palette and I’m pretty sure he had an exact match (near as dammit).

chakaping – Member
    Thread needs more pics though.

Here’s my blue one -ok it’s a Swoop rather than Murmur but there’s not a massive difference.

It’s:-

440 reach
    64° H/A
    380 Seat Tube

I’m just under 5’8″.

Gary

tmb467
    Free Member

Very similar geo to mine – except the slackness on yours is a bit slackerer

Do you have any issues with it being slightly too slack? Any issues going up hill? What sort of riding have you been doing?

mark90
    Free Member

I like that blue 8)

Speeder

tmb467 – Member
    Very similar geo to mine – except the slackness on yours is a bit slackerer

Do you have any issues with it being slightly too slack? Any issues going up hill? What sort of riding have you been doing?

I could have gone with the recommended slackness of 66° (at the time) but I figured I wanted something that felt like a mini DH bike that I can pedal up. I didn’t want to go Geometron extreme as I actually wanted to have some fun riding this at the sort of speeds I do these days. Not to say you can’t have fun on those but I’m a bit on the short side so I struggle to get the front end up for manuals and bumping off stuff if I can’t get my weight back.

How does it ride?

Considering it’s a completely different shape to my old full sus bike (a 2010 Tracer) and I hadn’t ridden that for 6 months (stolen) it wasn’t completely alien. OK riding down the road the first time with the front wheel flopping from side to side I did wonder if I’d gone to far but now it’s been on a few off road rides I’ve got used to it and it feels great. It’s fun and stable and I feel suitably stretched out as you’re supposed to do these days so all those boxes are ticked.

No issues going up hill, it’s got a pretty steep seat angle so your weight is in the right place so it doesn’t feel to bad. I don’t get the “it’s all wandery” idea I’m doing 2-4mph at best – who cares?! Riding wise it’s a mix of trail centres uplifts and razzing about/pushes up in the woods. I’m pretty time poor so big day out adventures don’t really feature these days. It’s brilliant at what I use it for.

I’m in no way a serial bike changer, I figure I’ll get used to anything and I bought this as a bike for life or at very least a long long time. There are a few things I’d change if it were my company for sure but they’re very much on the small refinements side of things. The geometry choices I think I got bang on for now at least & I can’t see me changing it anytime soon.

Try the angleset. You’ve nothing to lose other than a few quid it could be brilliant.

tmb467
    Free Member

Cheers! Really appreciate the response

I’ll have a play with the angleset then – can see it being a bit different from how it rides today though.

Least I can always take it out if it doesn’t feel right…need to get riding down hills a bit more than across dales (or bridleways anyway)

duir
    Free Member

I didn’t want to go Geometron extreme as I actually wanted to have some fun riding this at the sort of speeds I do these days

Have you ever ridden a Geometron?

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Might be late to the party but my specs are:
    470 reach
    64.5HA
    430 ST
    110 HTL
    32mm stem
    160MM Yari (hopefully getting a Lyrik asa!)
    Boost 148mm rear axle
    ISCG lower mounts – currently unused
    Direct-mount 30t oval ring
    aaaand Monarch plus shock

I’d have loved to go full fox, but saved hundreds of pounds going rockshox.

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer! I’m in Oldham, north east Manchester. Where a ours are you?

I’m down in Coventry so might be a bit far away unless you’re ever near Cannock Chase.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

What height are you mbquerty?

Speeder

duir – Member
    Have you ever ridden a Geometron?

No but 440 reach is about as much as I feel comfortable even riding so a jump to 485 for the Geometron long I feel would be too much for me to feel comfortable on – unless there’s some magic in there somewhere. Being open minded I would love a go but I’m not sure I’d get on very well.

mbqwerty
    Free Member

What height are you mbquerty?

I’m 5’9″, I thought i was playing it semi-conservative and actually for me it feels ‘just right’. I could have maybe gone 10mm longer as once I’m actually on it and in the attack position, it doesn’t actually feel long at all. It’s probably a bonus, but I felt like I maybe played it safe, especially considering the 32mm super short stem

bungalistic
    Free Member

That is nice Speeder really like the blue colour. Wish I could afford to entertain the idea of a Swoop or Murmur as they look lovely.

Speeder

bungalistic – Member
    That is nice Speeder really like the blue colour. Wish I could afford to entertain the idea of a Swoop or Murmur as they look lovely.

Thanks it was a bit of an afterthought as it was supposed to be Cadbury MiniRoll purple but we couldn’t match the powdercoat to it, it’s not a bad substitute :D.
    I got lucky with a new for old payout on a stolen bike. I was fortunate to get in before the price adjustment and even then I’d not have been able to afford to spec the bike as it is if I hadn’t scoured eBay and the classifieds for 6 months.

mboy
    Free Member

it was supposed to be Cadbury MiniRoll purple but we couldn’t match the powdercoat to it

Ah… You best look away when I post some pics of mine up in the next few days then, cos I’ve almost finished building it! 😆

It’s starting to look the part now to be fair, just gonna have to take it easy first couple of rides still cos my right thumb is still pretty buggered up from a crash the other week, but there we go…

Speeder

mboy – Member
    it was supposed to be Cadbury MiniRoll purple but we couldn’t match the powdercoat to it
    Ah… You best look away when I post some pics of mine up in the next few days then, cos I’ve almost finished building it!

It’s starting to look the part now to be fair, just gonna have to take it easy first couple of rides still cos my right thumb is still pretty buggered up from a crash the other week, but there we go…

Nah I’ve made peace with the colour – I really like it though I do think a purple would have looked a bit more moody. I’m sure it’ll look great.

We should have a Starling meet up to compare. ;o)

mboy
    Free Member

We should have a Starling meet up to compare. ;o)

Well I’m only 30 mins up the M5 from you it would seem, so yeah absolutely! Do you ride the FoD at all…?

Spent most of the evening loosely assembling it and testing everything for fit, then taking some measurements etc.

So, bare frame was 7 1/2lb on the Park scales, add another 1lb for the Fox DPX2 and I reckon it’s giving away 1lb at most to a similar ally frame, if that. In fact probably not that much, my Evil Wreckoning was over 7 1/2lb including Monarch shock and that’s carbon.

So currently mine has been assembled with MRP Stage forks @ 150mm travel, Fox Float DPX 200×57, E13 TRSr wheels, Eagle X01 groupset, 170mm Raceface SIXC cranks, SRAM Guide RS brakes (200/180), Burgtec Carbon Trail 760mm bars and 50mm stem, Maxxis Shorty 2.5(F) and Minion DHR2 2.3(R) tyres with Huck Norris inside, Nukeproof Horizon CL pedals etc. Forgot to take the dropper to work with me this morning, so currently has a rigid post on it, comes in at 32lb on the nose right now with beefy rubber. Plan is to use my Crossmax XL’s with lighter/faster rubber on for more XC/trail riding and the E13’s for days out on the bigger trails.

Some crucial numbers as measured…

430mm seat tube
    335mm BB height
    1245mm wheelbase
    65deg HA

Can’t wait to get out on it now! 😀

Speeder

Mine as you see it up there but with a more conditions appropriate 2.3 Shorty on the front is 30.65lb on the happy scales. I’ve not idea how these calibrate but they seem pretty accurate.
    Pretty happy with that for a strong build. I’ve not been a weenie over it but I have been careful in speccing stuff. Well all apart from the wheels & the gears, the wheels are Flow3s on Pro4s so a but were a bargain that came up at the right time and the gears are XTR – not the lightest or biggest range but I really fancied some XTR just because I’ve never had any.
    Cranks are SixC same as yours just a bit shorter.

Yes to FOD, I was there on Saturday for a slow bimble. No idea when I can do but if you’re over there regular I’m sure we can do something.

Looking forward to seeing it built up.

qwerty
    Free Member

Add me to a FoD ride, PM me if you arrange one please. Ta

Speeder

qwerty – Member
    Add me to a FoD ride, PM me if you arrange one please. Ta

jmatlock
    Free Member

So, I sold all my MTBs and only have a Gravel bike these days. But, its bikes like this that have the debit card itching.

That bloke from Pinned TV has one that looks incredible. Love the Murmur and the Swoop.

qwerty
    Free Member

Actually, if it helps narrow a date down, the only Sunday i can do this year is 17Th December.

mboy
    Free Member

So it arrived finally, and I got it built… (click pic for more pics)

Yes to FOD, I was there on Saturday for a slow bimble. No idea when I can do but if you’re over there regular I’m sure we can do something.

I go down there quite a lot, so yes will do mate.

Actually, if it helps narrow a date down, the only Sunday i can do this year is 17Th December.

Ironically, that’s the only Sunday I CAN’T do this year! 😆

I’m sure we can sort something Martin…

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Starling Murmur – Experiences?’ is closed to new replies.