Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • stargazers
  • headfirst
    Free Member

Can any of you recommend a decent telescope for around the £100 mark? I bought some decent binoculars for a trip this summer and I’ve started looking at the moon on clear nights with them and found it fascinating. But now I want more!!
    I’m thinking a telescope would be an ideal christmas present that the wife could get me.

happyrider
    Free Member
    headfirst
    Free Member

happyrider,

Interesting that, I hadn’t though about a ‘tabletop’ design, it would save on buying a tripod, but then I can see myself going off to ‘dark sky’ locations in the future where there might not be any convenient flat surfaces… useful website to look at

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    woody2000

I’ve just bought a Celestron kit from 7dayshop – out of stock currently, but I’m sure you can find it elsewhere. All packs up into a rucksack for easy transportation. Tripod is a bit poor (mentioned in all the reviews), but it does the job for now 🙂

http://www.7dayshop.com/celestron-telescopes-travel-scope-70-refractor-outfit

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

Binoculars.

CountZero

nmdbasetherevenge – Member
    Binoculars.

🙄

Can any of you recommend a decent telescope for around the £100 mark? I bought some decent binoculars for a trip this summer and I’ve started looking at the moon on clear nights with them and found it fascinating. But now I want more!!
    I’m thinking a telescope would be an ideal christmas present that the wife could get me.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Slightly over budget but this looks like what you might be after. Plus you can add a GOTO motor later on when you decide you need it

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

£100 and decent doesn’t really happen, the cheapest decent option will be a used 6″ dobsonian, an 8″ would be better. Save up and buy one that’s good and you won’t have to buy twice.

The type of telescope you want may depend on the type of viewing you wish to do.

e.g.

Dobsonians give you a lot of mirror for you money but are better suited for deep sky objects (starts and galaxies)

For planets refractors are supposed to be the better option, but are much more expensive.

Best to read up on the relative merits of different types on a good astronomy website.

headfirst
    Free Member

As always, the budget starts to get stretched by STW recommendations 🙂

BBSB’s one looks good but not as portable but I suppose that’s an inevitable trade off?

Dobsonian and Newtonian are two new words to me today, don’t know what they mean yet.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘stargazers’ is closed to new replies.