Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Star Wars where to start?
  • burko73

Just got the Disney channel. Where to start with star wars? I’ve started at phantom menace but what’s with the funny little fella on the planet that’s gett8ng invaded?

Some folks seem to favour the machete option where you start at episode 2 and miss out phantom menace?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I watched them in the order they were made but if I was recommending them to someone going in blind, I’d suggest the machete order.

There’s also a great theory that all the titles are good, but for the wrong films.

simondbarnes

IV
    V
    VI
    I
    II
    III
    VII
    VIII
    IX

edhornby

My 10yo watched ep4 and 5 but then we went back and did 1. Doing 2 and 2 next then RotJ.

Although the way she enjoyed watching all the marvel in story order makes me think I should have done that

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The machete order protects the big spoiler….but you already know the spoiler so no point so watch in order.

Personally I’d just stick with the original 3 and avoid the prequels and sequels. Rogue 1 is worth a watch too. Wasn’t too enamoured with Solo, but it’s far more watchable than the prequels and sequels. Then Mandalorian.

aide

If you know the big spoiler I would do 1, 2, 3, rogue 1, 4, 5, 6 and miss out the last 3. If you know hee haw about them I would watch rogue 1, 4, 5, 6 then go 1, 2, 3 (and miss out 7, 8 and 9)

I would also watch the mandalorian after either version

bigblackshed

Do it in release order. That way the magic works for the kiddies, which it is aimed at, and you get to be disappointed in the way George Lucas intended.

* Thanks to The Big Bang Theory for the line of the last decade.

frankconway

Bigblackshed has it; the end

anagallis_arvensis

Do it in release order

This, and don’t dismiss Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons.

kelvin

Solo, Rogue one, 4, 5, 6, Mandalorian, 7, 8.

Rubber_Buccaneer

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away….

burko73

I watched the originals as they came out yrs ago and on odd occasions since. I did go back and watch some of the sequels but can’t remember which ones.

roger_mellie

Then Mandalorian.

I wouldn’t bother. It’s mostly pants.

mjsmke

I’ve still not watched any of the Star Wars films.

zilog6128

Watching the three latest sequels gave me a renewed appreciation for the prequels, including TPM 😀. Also, the problem with watching the original trilogy for the first time on Disney+ is they’re the versions Lucas has **** with, you really need an original VHS or Laserdisc copy (available via torrent!)

ojays
    Free Member

I’d never watched any of them until just after they released VIII, refused to as I’d seen bits of the originals growing up and never got into them, or got the attraction.

Then I decided to watch then and got a bit obsessed with them and have watched them all multiple times. However, I definitely have a bit of a different favourite list. So thought I’d give my view as someone later to the scene but not a youngster by any means.

I’d go:

Rogue one was really good, still not seen Solo, Mandalorian decent.

I watched 8 and then 7, which got me into it then watched in release order.

I’d happily watch any of them though, just prefer the ones at the top and I love 9,7 and 6 in particular.

cookeaa

Strangely my youngest got into Droids, then watched the bad batch with me, she has watched some rebels episodes and can be persuaded to watch clone wars I reckon. But there’s no way I can get her to sit through any of the films yet…

I reckon if we can bottom out the animated stuff, I could then maybe get her into the Mandalorian and then maybe on to 4/5/6? It’s a slow process and I think the trick is to introduce her to the themes and characters of the star wars universe whichever way she finds most engaging, if I just make her watch the films now through she will just get up and wander off…

(IMO) 1/2/3 are surprisingly dull too much exposition and setting up the Republic to empire transition and backstory (these are meant to be kids films). 7/8/9 are confusing and frankly a bit crap, hamstrung by trying to pay “fanservice” and failing spectacularly.

Rogue 1 is probably my favourite Star wars film now . It works as it’s own self contained little story. I reckon you could watch it on it’s own, with no awareness of the wider star wars universe and enjoy it as a good sci-fi film with well developed characters and a solid plot… If you watch Rogue 1 first and it leaves you with no curiosity about the rest of them, stop there…

Oh and if you miss out Solo you’ll not be missing much…

Edit:

I’ve started at phantom menace but what’s with the funny little fella on the planet that’s gett8ng invaded?

Apparently he’s the most powerful sith of all!

thols2

IV
    V
    VI
    The Mandalorian

Then stop, the other stuff is garbage.

oceanskipper

VHS or Laserdisc copy

dyna-ti

How many people know that one of C3Po’s legs is actually silver and not gold ?

moonsaballoon

If your watching with kids and want them to get drawn in I’m not sure release order is the best way to go . There is quite long periods in a new hope without much action or excitement compared to the force awakens which is basically the same film . Definitely worth watching but maybe not to start with .

I think the mandalorian is brilliant , possibly even better if you’ve watched clone wars before. Not essential but you’ll pick up on so many more details if you have .

doubleeagle
    Free Member

Perhaps the better question would have been Star Wars where to stop?

I would say Rouge 1, IV, V, VI. And maybe even move R1 to the end (it’s completely it’s own film and doesn’t want to be in the franchise, it’s just seconds overlapping IV on the time line).

All the classic lovable characters are in the original 3 films. The rest are there for the box office/subscription fee.

nickc

IV, Rouge, V, II, III, VI

that’s all you need.

pictonroad

I’d  not seen star wars properly either, (born in 77 so I’ve been exposed to it so completely I know all the storylines).

picked up disney plus for the kids, gave it a go.

If you’ve resisted thus far I highly recommend not watching the phantom menace to start. It’s an awful film and I’m not sure it helps with the story at all.

I cannot stress enough what a truly devastatingly bad film it is. My 9yr completely lost interest.

stevious

I’d start by ignoring all the middle-aged men complaining about which films in the series they don’t like. Seeing as you’ve started at episode 1 then just keep going and enjoy all the space wizards and laser swords.

Harry_the_Spider

1, 2, 3, Solo, Rogue One, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. To bigin with. Then, if mw son is anything to go by, Solo, Rogue One, 4, 5, 6, on repeat for the next few years.

allanoleary
    Free Member

Clone Wars
    Bad Batch
    Rebels
    Solo
    Rogue 1
    Mandalorian

I prefer storyline order rather than release order. I want to be disappointed on my own terms rather than Lucas’s

Cougar

Machete order.

I actually owned the original trilogy on laserdisc. They got lost / left in the house move.

doubleeagle
    Free Member

I’m not middle age 😂, I watched phantom menace in the cinema before I had left primary school! Those 3 films were aimed directly at my generation, and we too palmed them off for more Luke & Leia. Age is irrelevant to it being a dreadful film in a dreadful trilogy (good lead villain though).

Harry the Spider’s son’s choices tell you everything. Make the most of unlimited streaming OP, but I know it’ll be Vader/R2D2 that will be favourites by Christmas.

piemonster

The Phantom Menace* should be removed from existence

*the film title always makes me think of people who fart in lifts real quietly

anagallis_arvensis

You have to watch 4 and 5 first surely? After that it doesn’t really matter.

mboy
    Free Member

4, 5, 6, done…

That’s all you need to know.

grum
    Free Member

I’ve still not watched any of the Star Wars films.

Given that you’re presumably not a child any more I wouldn’t be in any rush to see them now. I saw ROTJ first when I was 12-13 and thought it was so exciting, but even with nostalgia value now I’m not really fussed.

brads
    Free Member

4,5,6 then anything you like as you’re pretty much done after the first three.

After that you can almost treat them as individual stories.

eulach

+1 don’t discount Clone Wars and Rebels.

cookeaa – Droids? Really?

Daffy

I, II, Clone Wars, III, Solo, Rebels, Rogue, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX.

jamj1974

Machete order but… Rogue One before Episode 4 and then Episode 7 and Episode 9. Optionally, you can addS Solo before Rogue 1 and The Mandalorian between Episodes 6 & 7.

jamj1974

The Despecialized Editions of the original films is worth finding.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Star Wars where to start?’ is closed to new replies.